Page 551 of 551 FirstFirst ... 51451501541549550551
Results 5,501 to 5,510 of 5510

Thread: NBA thread

Dirk Nowitzki is the worst player in the NBA, currently. His return to action coincided with the Mavs falling into a death spiral of losses. Dallas is 3-11 since Dirk came off the DL. Immediately before that, the Mavs were the hottest team in the NBA winning 13 of 16. The old fogie can barely walk, much less play basketball at an NBA level. His presence on the roster means minutes for younger, much better players are in shorter supply and the second unit, which played such a big role in that hot streak, is now a fucking mess.

However, on the bright side, if this freefall continues and the Mavs earn a ticket in the lottery which pays off with Zion, then thank you Dirk from the bottom of my heart! There are, however, puny odds of that miracle occurring, but one can dream of Luka, Zion, and DeAndre leading Dallas to the promised land. That would be worth the pain of constant losing over the next few months.
    Last edited by darkhorse; 01-09-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Basketball-Reference currently not recognizing the debut of Wheeling Jesuit University great Haywood Highsmith, who played several minutes in yesterday's Wizards-Sixers game, but is not in the boxscore or on the team page.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...901080PHI.html
    I need a mai tai, so f----- sci-fi. Give me the password to the f----- wifi.

Yeah, ok, so I listened to the Dec. 28 episode of Rights to Ricky Sanchez and I have to say, based on a small sample size, I could not have been more wrong about the podcast or its co-host, Spike Eskin. He is absolutely nothing like his sensationalist takemeister dad. I had to laugh because Spike Eskin and co-host Michael Levin actually made the exact same point I was trying to make about how people saying Ben Simmons has to go is gaining steam only because people are hearing that take and then repeating it.

They blamed Deadspin, a Yahoo post that I don't think I can find (Yahoo itself blames NBC Philadelphia), and Sixers' Twitter for fueling the trade-Simmons rumor. They also circled back on Jonathan Tjarks of The Ringer, which only puts a different spin, but not an incorrect one, on my echo chamber assessment.

In the podcast I listened to, Eskin pledged to find a way to participate in Sixers Twitter less than an hour a day, saying there are no winners on Twitter, only losers. Needless to say, I kind of fell in love with this podcast. Now I have several episodes yet to listen to since the Dec. 28 one, but so far these guys are saying it's "insane" to consider trading Simmons at all, and that these guys need more time - maybe years - to figure out how to win. So sensible it hurts. I regret ever casting aspersions. Just example #2,824,388 of the stupidity of jumping to conclusions (I may yet reach the 5,000,000 mark for my career).

AlleLuka with 29 pts, 8 boards, and 12 assists last night in the win at Minnesota. Nailed a trey with 24 seconds left to seal the deal.

"Luka Doncic is the first rookie with 3 go-ahead field goals in the final 2 minutes of regulation since Vince Carter against the Pacers on April 1, 1999"

"Youngest player with at least 25 pts and 10 assists since LeBron in 2004."

Oh, yeah and 2nd leading vote getter in the Western Conference for the NBA All-Star game. Luka fever has spread all over the NBA.

Has there ever been a night with two games in which both teams scored 140 or more points? The NBA has changed, maaaan.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Quote Originally Posted by ill16ca View Post
    Has there ever been a night with two games in which both teams scored 140 or more points? The NBA has changed, maaaan.
    ...and all 16 teams playing scored at least 100.

I also noticed that, but I figured it happens pretty often now.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

NO and GS combined to hit 50% from three on 43-for-86 shooting. Houston attempted 70 threes last night.

As someone who watched NBA in the 90's, I prefer this to the 85-79 snoozefests of that era.

Sixers reportedly interested in Noah Vonleh. He seems like a perfect fit to me, offering some defense and, at least right now, some stretchability. Whether he can continue to shoot way above his career average from three is a question mark, but a quick look suggests that he is a contributor on defense, and defense is the Sixers' weakness right now. He doesn't need the ball, he can play as a small ball 5 - sign me up. He might be a rental, but then if he does well he might be worth paying to stay.

If the Knicks would take Korkmaz and a second-rounder, great. But if they demanded the Sixers 2019 first rounder, I wouldn't say no.

Boogie tossed straight into the starting lineup tonight for the Warriors against the Clippers in his first action, recovering from achilles injury, in a year. I'm curious to see if he'll move the needle even slightly for Golden State during the remainder of the season.