Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1080

Thread: Facebook status updates are really lame or something

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    Baloney.
    Why can't it be sympathy for the victims and their loved ones? Being pro-second amendment doesn't make you immune from feeling sadness over these horrible situations and doesn't prevent you from wishing you could help the survivors and their families. And it doesn't for a second mean you don't want these tragedies to end.
    Right but the politicians that are saying that actually do have the power to make these tragedies happen less often. They're not doing anything about it and they think expressing they're sad (I'm assuming truthfully) gets them off the hook until the next major shooting.

People who support the 2A are the only ones that can effect change. It's a Republican controlled government right now and they're sure not listening to Democrats.

It's not totally analogous, but whenever my kids screw up something for the nth time and tell me they're sorry, what they get from me is, "I don't want to hear 'sorry', what I need to see is a willingness to change". I think that's kind of where we are as a nation. Expressing sympathy is not a bad thing in and of itself, but it also doesn't really help, so let's maybe expect more?
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiusesometimes: --> \_(ツ)_/

Yeah, I mean, I'd rather people like Marco Rubio just keep their yap shut than offer "thoughts and prayers" anytime some yahoo decides to open fire on children with an AR-15.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Schindleria Praematurus lastplaneout's Avatar
    Baloney.
    Why can't it be sympathy for the victims and their loved ones? Being pro-second amendment doesn't make you immune from feeling sadness over these horrible situations and doesn't prevent you from wishing you could help the survivors and their families. And it doesn't for a second mean you don't want these tragedies to end.
    I think that what this comes down to is that a lot of so-called debate on social media ends up being people getting dunked on for the perception of being hypocritical or inconsistent, which is unproductive (and boring).

It's perfectly fair, in my opinion, to argue that these folks, despite their sincere sympathy, have an ineffective solution to the problem (and obviously, we probably disagree on that point, but whatever).
    Dick Allen was a true professional singer. He sang in a high, delicate tenor that belied his powerful body.

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgross68 View Post
    It's not totally analogous, but whenever my kids screw up something for the nth time and tell me they're sorry, what they get from me is, "I don't want to hear 'sorry', what I need to see is a willingness to change". I think that's kind of where we are as a nation. Expressing sympathy is not a bad thing in and of itself, but it also doesn't really help, so let's maybe expect more?
    Sure, but it's a tweet. It's not going to be any more effective then the lib demanding "This needs to end NOW". There's nothing of substance, it's just people expressing sorry and/or outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Yeah, I mean, I'd rather people like Marco Rubio just keep their yap shut than offer "thoughts and prayers" anytime some yahoo decides to open fire on children with an AR-15.
    Talk about no-win. "Rubio's silence is deafening! He doesn't even care!" Yeah, Rubio and Cruz and Trump and McCain et al. are all no-win from the start because they took money from the NRA so they're damned if they say anything, damned if they stay silent. I get the blowback if they stayed silent or said something that liberals apparently assume they are inferring like "that's the cost of doing business!" but I don't get the moral indignation resulting in a [GOP] politician using the phrase "thoughts and prayers".
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 02-16-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

It is such a tired, worn-out, mindless, meaningless cliche that gets macro'd out by every politician with no desire to actually do anything about the problem. You're right, it's no-win for them, because they're doing nothing, so anything they say, or don't say, is going to damn them. But I am so sick of those three words that lost all meaning years ago, that get tweeted out in five seconds with no reflection or contemplation. It's an empty sentiment.

And I admit that I struggle with offering sympathies or wishing people happy birthday on facebook or whatever and feeling like I'm saying something of substance and not just, "I'm very sorry to hear that," or, "Happy birthday! Hope it's a great day," every single time, but christ. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers. Thoughtsandprayers thoughtsandprayers thoughtsandprayers.
    Last edited by Hotblack; 02-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Talk about no-win. "Rubio's silence is deafening! He doesn't even care!" Yeah, Rubio and Cruz and Trump and McCain et al. are all no-win from the start because they took money from the NRA so they're damned if they say anything, damned if they stay silent. I get the blowback if they stayed silent or said something that liberals apparently assume they are inferring like "that's the cost of doing business!" but I don't get the moral indignation resulting in a [GOP] politician using the phrase "thoughts and prayers".
    Quite honestly I'd prefer total silence. We all know that they aren't going to do anything, literally anything, about it. Not even let the CDC study gun violence.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Today on False Premise Theater...

OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiusesometimes: --> \_(ツ)_/

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Oh, I know this one... You barred GOD from the classroom?

Something something Bee Gees.