Page 313 of 315 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 3141

Thread: My #1 new pet peeve

Similarly, but also not similarly: "I have a discord server".

Thank you for sharing your truth, guys.

People barging onto elevators without waiting to see if anyone might be getting off.

Similarly, people barging out of grocery store aisles with their carts like cow catchers as if no one could possibly be walking by.

Generally, anyone who is chronically unaware of the space they take up or the existence of other people.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Quote Originally Posted by Hotblack View Post
    People barging onto elevators without waiting to see if anyone might be getting off.

Similarly, people barging out of grocery store aisles with their carts like cow catchers as if no one could possibly be walking by.

Generally, anyone who is chronically unaware of the space they take up or the existence of other people.
    But maybe they do, just that their sense of space needed is different from you. This would be very obvious if you travel, I think the "space" is bigger in Pacific Northwest comparing to most other places in the US.

It's also very obvious in traffic: the norm in some places is to cut people off if they are capable of pulling it off, and in other places you must not force any traffic you are merging into to slow down. This again I found the Pacific Northwest, not counting Vancouver, to be near the end of the spectrum on space entitlement comparing to other places. People got pissed about being cut off way more in Seattle than in most other places. This is different in Vancouver because that city is more international, and it's changing in Seattle nowadays because Seattle has huge sudden influx of newcomers.
    Last edited by skipaway; 03-12-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Isn't it funny how Americans, when they travel to other countries, are roundly criticized for their failure to observe local customs, yet when people from other countries come to the U.S., Americans are roundly criticized for their failure to observe foreign customs.
    We're on an express elevator to hell. Goin' down!

Quote Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
    Isn't it funny how Americans, when they travel to other countries, are roundly criticized for their failure to observe local customs, yet when people from other countries come to the U.S., Americans are roundly criticized for their failure to observe foreign customs.
    It's because nobody knows what's the American custom these days. Most of the American population got wiped out.

The Pacific Northwest thing about being more distant isn't an American thing either. It's from Scandinavian. The recent change is actually making it "more American", or at least more like California.

One thing that's interesting about this would be how around here homeless guys are by far the ones most demanding in personal space. I think they got nothing else, so they have to hang on to it. They are prone to jaywalk very slowly forcing cars to slow down for them, and yell at you when you pass them on the sidewalks.

It's not about criticism to begin with anyway. I am just pointing out the root cause of things. For this kind of thing, criticism is kind of pointless. It's easier to just make up excuses for other people so you don't think about it anymore and go on with your life. Getting emotions out of things like this would be draining for people who have to interact with others all the time.
    Last edited by skipaway; 03-13-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    It's because nobody knows what's the American custom these days.
    Most people are aware of the American custom regarding entering/exiting elevators.

There was also a famous tale passed through the generations of a Sioux medicine man who figured out the door close button doesn’t actually make the doors close any faster.

The thing that makes it a pet peeve is that it annoys the individual. It's not a statement of the morality of the thing. This isn't an issue of western constructs; it's individual preference.
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

Latest post from 11/13/18: 9 Amazing Facts About Lions that Will Shock - I'll admit, I kind of phoned this one. But the lion facts are 100% real and the Lion King images are 100% without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
    The thing that makes it a pet peeve is that it annoys the individual. It's not a statement of the morality of the thing. This isn't an issue of western constructs; it's individual preference.
    You know how to make an annoyed person even more annoyed? Tell him why he shouldn't be annoyed.

Now you know why I love this thread.