Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding Thread For Good Historical Baseball Info

Holding Thread For Good Historical Baseball Info

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Slick
    An even better logo website than the one I initially linked to:

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?t=490

Chris Creamer's done a heck of a job. Most teams have complete uniforms in there that you can turn into OOTP unis with just a leetle bit of photoshopping. My favorite aspect of this is that the logos are freaking huge so even after resizing them so they don't look all deformed in the game they still look good.
    This site is pretty damn good. My (unfinished) 1946 logo set was done with the logos there.
    -Jeff
    "Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
    CL: New Orleans Crescents

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle is proving to be a very good source of 19th century lineups. I'm probably getting close to 50% of all the games of 1871, which is outstanding for that period.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

That fizzled out. Sometime around June 10, 1873, the editor decided box scores took up too much space. I wanted to write him a letter and remembered he'd been dead for over a century.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Let his great-grandkids know what you think. The fucking prick.

I wound up with exactly 90 lineups for 1871 after spending far too much time and effort. 1873 won't be as good, thanks to that editor.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    That fizzled out. Sometime around June 10, 1873, the editor decided box scores took up too much space. I wanted to write him a letter and remembered he'd been dead for over a century.
    I totally would have done this. Is the Brooklyn Eagle still around?

Dear Sir or Whore,

What the fuck? I mean, what the fucking fuck? You aren't even including fucking box scores for the god damn National Association anymore? Do you bitches realize that this is the FUCKING HIGHEST BASEBALL LEAGUE IN EXISTENCE RIGHT NOW???? 2 years from now it becomes the National League and then it stays in business for like the next 150 years (well, 133 that I am 100% sure of). God dammit, you fuckers are close-minded. Just because your hometown Brooklyn team isn't doing that well... and oh yeah by the way your beloved Brooklyn team MOVES TO LOS ANGELES AHAHAHAHAHA YEAH THAT'S RIGHT BITCHES LOS ANGELES AS IN SOUTH OF SAN FRANCISCO AND NORTH OF MEXICO FOR ALL I KNOW IT'S PART OF MEXICO RIGHT NOW I THINK IT WAS IN THAT ZORRO MOVIE. Oh yeah and you become part of New York City.

Yours truly,

Johnny Slick from the future

P.S. Please have more Mark Twain stories. He is funny and will still be funny in 100 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlock Treatment podcast, Episode 73
    There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a bitch.

Still working on 19th century lineups for my DMB replays. Paper of Record has disappeared, bought out by Google, which Sublimity has correctly predicted will conquer the world. Naturally the old Sporting News issues are no longer available anywhere (way to go, Google!)

I've had to get a pay subscription to GenealogyBank, even though I care nothing about genealogy. It's easily the best site out there, and the annual subscription is about $65. The papers include the Philadelphia Inquirer, which has full boxes for all the leagues since 1886 or so, the Cincinnati Commercial Tribune, which started printing non-Cincy boxes in 1883, and is doing very well so far, and the Chicago Inter-Ocean, which has complete National League coverage (with maybe 10% missing issues) for the years 1879-1881.
    1875 and American Association 1882 are still impossible.

It could be worse: when I was doing a just-for-"fun" 1993-94 NBA replay a few years ago, I spent far too much time in the library finding box scores and game accounts on microfilm and printing them out so I could get a sense of the lineups and rotations used. Of course, now all that stuff is available on basketball-ref, but the point here is that there is still another, very obvious, source for the box scores you crave and the only cost is people you know ever taking you seriously again.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
    It could be worse: when I was doing a just-for-"fun" 1993-94 NBA replay a few years ago, I spent far too much time in the library finding box scores and game accounts on microfilm and printing them out so I could get a sense of the lineups and rotations used. Of course, now all that stuff is available on basketball-ref, but the point here is that there is still another, very obvious, source for the box scores you crave and the only cost is people you know ever taking you seriously again.
    We don't have any of the relevant papers (Boston Globe? here? you have to be kidding) in our local library. I suppose I could rejoin SABR, borrow the New York Clipper microfilm from their lending library, and use the local library reader. That's too much trouble even for me. Remember that I'm working in the 19th century, and 99% of all papers only carried boxes for local games. The 1% includes neither the Shreveport Times nor the New York Times, which are the only papers the local library carries that far back.

Sometimes I forget how semi-cosmopolitan my city is. Sorry.