Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk Youth Sports (or: Brag About Your Kids | PING: Rob In Phoenix)

Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

8yo stumbled into his first practice of the season tonight (3rd team practice overall - such a premadonna) and all he did was best the rest of the team in a spirited round of knockout. Defense wins championships, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by phenom View Post
    8yo stumbled into his first practice of the season tonight
    8 is awfully young to be giving them the sauce, sir.
    -Jeff
    "Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
    CL: New Orleans Crescents

Mitch got the start again last Saturday, tossing three innings with six strikeouts. He again held the opposition hitless, but walked five[!!] allowing two runs to score (one earned). One Marlin hitter did manage to hit a ball into play - a little dribbler between the mound and third base that Mitch pounced on, sliding to pick it up barehanded and firing a strike to first from his knees. That was a helluva play.

Offensively, Mitch was 1-2 with a walk and 2 RBI. In his first AB he hit a hard grounder that the pitcher managed to nab before it got by him into centerfield for a pretty easy out. Second time up he walked and got to third on a stolen base/passed ball combo. From third, and on his own, he called an old trick play we've used in the past where he breaks for home on the pitch, stopping about halfway down the line trying to bait the catcher into running him back to the bag, which he did. About six feet from third, Mitch acts like he's given up and starts walking back to the base with his back to the catcher, and as soon as the catcher flips the ball to the pitcher from about halfway up the way up the third base line, Mitch turns and sprints for home, where no one is covering. The catcher almost got back in time and the pitcher made a good throw home, but Mitch made a smart dive under the tag and got a hand on the plate for the steal.

Once again, though, Mitch handed a big lead to the bullpen, leaving with a 6-2 lead after throwing 62 pitches, only to have the Astros relief corps give it right back to the Marlins and we headed to the home half of the last (fourth) inning trailing 9-6. That's when their wheels fell off and the pitcher started off with four straight walks to get into the heart of our order. Our #2 hitter came up with bases loaded, nobody out and with the Astros down two runs. He was a little impatient, though, and hit a bad pitch for an easy groundout, but plated a run and moved up the runners (Joe Morgan would have loved it). That brought up Mitch with runners on second and third, one out and a one-run deficit. He ripped the first pitch into the left-center gap for the walk-off win. Pretty good day at the office again for my older boy.

Andy was sick last weekend, but he picked a good week to have one of the Badgers' better hitters out of the lineup as we crushed the hapless Mariners 17-0 in the regular season opener.
    Last edited by jgross68; 04-05-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiwasusingWAYbeforeitwasmainstream: --> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

Quote Originally Posted by jgross68 View Post

Andy was sick last weekend, but he picked a good week to have one of the Badgers' better hitters out of the lineup as we crushed the hapless Mariners 17-0 in the regular season opener.
    It's going to be a tough year for Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfer Cirtsag View Post
    It's going to be a tough year for Seattle.
    Yeah, I would've expected them to at least be competitive with a youth team. Not win, necessarily, but at least keep it close.

We mercy-ruled them after two-and-a-half innings with 20 minutes still on the clock. It wasn't so much that we played great defense (though we did turn at least four balls in play into outs, which is pretty good for an 8U team) as much as the M's just aren't a very good team offensively. So, yeah, they don't look a whole lot different than they did last year.

SixPitchers.com |

Mitch is hitting .750/.800/1.625 with no strikeouts through five games and has struck out 22 in 10.0 innings spread across four appearances on the hill. Little brother Andy is 8-for-8 with four extra base hits for the 3-1 Badgers.

Our league instituted new pitch count rules this season, so Mitch was unavailable for the Astros game last night after tossing 55 pitches in three innings of relief on Saturday (the rules require three full days rest after 51-65 pitches in a day, and I wasn't going to let him pitch on just one full day of rest after throwing 55 anyway) but the parents kept coming up to the dugout asking if we were planning to bring Mitch in to close it out after we managed to scratch back to a 8-8 tie only to lose it in the bottom of the last (fourth) inning. Mitch also got hit with a 3-0 pitch just under the left shoulder blade with the bases empty in his second AB last night. Mitch was playing short last night and decoyed their pitcher into sliding at second while the ball was still in right field the inning before that. We'll let it slide for now, but Mitch has a long memory...

Anyway, he'll get the start on Saturday and I want to stretch him out a bit to see if he can throw a complete game. 85 is the max daily count for 11-year-old pitchers and Mitch is currently averaging 87.5 pitches/5 IP and threw really well in his bullpen session tonight (where the "bullpen" is our driveway, throwing off the portable plywood mound I built last summer) so there's a pretty good chance he could do it if he keeps the walks down.

SixPitchers.com |

/me wants to see a picture of the portable plywood mound.
    2017 NFL Loser’s Pool Champion!

He’d leave little notes for himself saying ‘You are not a chicken,’ although sometimes he thought he hwas lying.

a midget's bar mitzvah Billy Shears.'s Avatar
    Fake tag? Not cool Mitch.