Page 330 of 331 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331 LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 3310

Thread: What are you playing?

Two-deck, four-suit spider solitaire!

I used to play one-suit spider solitaire and see how fast I could finish a game. You can't lose in one-suit if you allow undos, which I do. The fastest I ever did was 1:20, although my average time at this point is around 2 minutes.

Eventually that got boring and I tried four suits and two decks. I allow myself any and all moves that the game allows, up to and including restarting the game. I don't consider it cheating even though this means I can know what hidden cards are because the game is hard enough even if you do. I'm still trying to get my win percentage above 40 even so. A game can sometimes take me an hour to complete, although it should be noted that I am not especially gifted at this and it can take me quite a bit of time to formulate a sequence.

It's amazing to me how much enjoyment I get from this, knowing that I don't know a single other person who has ever or would ever try it or play it for long. It's just a very fun challenge to me to move cards from this column to that column to this stack to that stack trying to gain an advantage that will lead to a clearing of the board.
    Heritage Court's furry residents can enjoy the dog agility course and pet spa, truly defines what a pet friendly is all about.

I play Spider (two-deck, four-suit, naturally) fairly frequently, but only on phone or tablet. It's good when I don't have anything to do but I want to listen to a podcast or music or something. It engages a different part of the brain than the active listening part. I don't think my percentage gets above around 11%, so your 40% is pretty impressive, no matter how many do-overs you give yourself. I had actually managed to convince myself that something like 75% of the deals are actually unsolvable, so thanks for shattering my illusions.
    Last edited by mlyons; 03-13-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    Things can always be worse.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/strategy-bundle-2019

1$ for Niche, Ashes of Singularity: Escalation, Throne of Lies, BTA for Dungeons 3, Offworld Trading Company + DLC, 9$ for Stellaris and Plague Inc. Evolved and 15$ for Civilization VI

Quote Originally Posted by mlyons View Post
    I play Spider (two-deck, four-suit, naturally) fairly frequently, but only on phone or tablet. It's good when I don't have anything to do but I want to listen to a podcast or music or something. It engages a different part of the brain than the active listening part. I don't think my percentage gets above around 11%, so your 40% is pretty impressive, no matter how many do-overs you give yourself. I had actually managed to convince myself that something like 75% of the deals are actually unsolvable, so thanks for shattering my illusions.
    So, with several of the games I played last week, I think I have determined pretty much that every game is solvable, or at least nearly every one, if you're willing to go back and correct every mistake you make. I've now won 14 games in a row. Again, this is with using undo as much as is necessary.

I think a reasonable person would probably feel like 15 minutes is a long time to spend on one solitaire game, and 30 minutes is really being stubborn. I would guess that the average amount of time per solve has been in the 45-minute range, and that includes several in the 13-to-20-minute range and several that took an hour and a half or more. Part of the reason it takes as long as it does is my style of play; if I hit a roadblock, generally I only undo back to the last time I had two empty piles. Sometimes I go forward from there only to realize that I have to go back further. If I would just go back further from the start, it would probably take less time. I like that it's a game I can play while listening to music. But, probably wish I were spending my life more productively.
    Last edited by Sixto; 03-18-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Heritage Court's furry residents can enjoy the dog agility course and pet spa, truly defines what a pet friendly is all about.

At least 99.9% of the games are solvable. You can have unsolvable ones like having all the odd number cards in the bottom rows, but if you draw randomly you may never have an unsolvable game in your life.

The one I play has an option to only deal solvable games, which is what I do because I'm not a fucking masochist.
    disco!

Quote Originally Posted by treedom View Post
    The one I play has an option to only deal solvable games, which is what I do because I'm not a fucking masochist.
    That option would also annoy me because it means a robot figured out the solution in an instant while it takes me much longer. I don't need a robot showing me up game after game.

Ha! In that case, I'm perfectly okay with consoling myself with the knowledge that a human programmed that robot.
    disco!

These days, most of the things computer do are hidden from humans. Obviously Boeing didn't tell pilots what the computer would do for them when they drive a 737 Max.

Anyone interested in a free copy of Northgard on Steam? I've only got one, so the first person speaks up gets it.

EDIT: Gone! You snooze, you lose.
    Last edited by ill16ca; 03-19-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.