Page 317 of 323 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 3221

Thread: What are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
    With Cities: Skylines 75% off I couldn’t resist. I sure hope I play it. I hope I have the RAM I need. It looks amazing.
    Thanks for the headsup. I'm gonna grab that one.

There are a number of great sales at Steam right now. Civ V Complete is 92% off. The Grand Theft Auto franchise is 70% off.

GOG.com's weekly sale is now focused on wargames at deep discounts.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180101_w...sale_war_games

I'm still playing the $4 game I bought over the holidays, Yet Another Zombie Defense HD.
    Last edited by darkhorse; 01-02-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    I had just grid paper and a pencil to map my progress back in the day and no way to get clues when I got stuck pre-internet. I fear recalling how many hours I actually put into Zork I back then but I did finish it (though I replayed it many times trying to increase my score). I made it through maybe 50% of II and have no memory of making any significant progress in III.

Infocom's Deadline was another one I spent a lot of time on. Leather Goddesses of Phobos too.
    I ended up sending away for a number of Infocom's Invisiclues without which I never would have finished any of the Zorks and possibly Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy either. The game I sort of liked the most was one I never finished, that I actually don't think was a very good game - Suspended, in which you were immobilized but had control over a gang of service robots through whom you were meant to save the planet from destruction before time ran out. I never solved it but I painstakingly made graph paper maps of the playing area. In fact I believe it's true that my final Suspended map is one of the few things from my childhood that I still possess.

Years later someone re-marketed old Infocom games and I bought the one that included Suspended. It came with a snazzy heatset map that helped me see where I had been inexact with mine. But I still think there's something beautiful about the imperfections of a homemade Infocom map - in a way it illustrates the role the reader plays in reading a book, how we don't see anything like what the authors saw when they wrote the books but what we saw is ours alone and in that sense more real than whatever might have been intended.
    Last edited by Sixto; 01-02-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    And it's one more beer and I don't hear you anymore

Oh man, I wish my PC didn't overheat every time I fired up Cities: Skylines.
    -Jeff
    "Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
    CL: New Orleans Crescents

Quote Originally Posted by magnet View Post
    Oh man, I wish my PC didn't overheat every time I fired up Cities: Skylines.
    That game makes your computer overheat? Do you have a million mods installed or something?

I couldn't run it even slightly on my 5-year-old nongaming laptop. It took 10 minutes to load and basically just immediately froze.
    And it's one more beer and I don't hear you anymore

Quote Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
    That game makes your computer overheat? Do you have a million mods installed or something?
    Most games do; there's clearly something wrong with the water cooler I have for my processor; anything above a browser is pretty much a guaranteed overheat. I've cleaned out the radiator, re-applied thermal paste, etc. Might just need a new one, but that'll be a while.
    -Jeff
    "Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
    CL: New Orleans Crescents

Quote Originally Posted by magnet View Post
    Most games do; there's clearly something wrong with the water cooler I have for my processor; anything above a browser is pretty much a guaranteed overheat. I've cleaned out the radiator, re-applied thermal paste, etc. Might just need a new one, but that'll be a while.
    Ah, that's really unfortunate.

I can run it just fine but I get mod paralysis - there's so many good mods out there, which ones do I run?

I might just try a mostly vanilla winter city, I've never really done one of those and it seems appropriate for the current weather we're having.

DO NOT CONGRATULATE UngratefulDead's Avatar
    F's little brother is visiting and he's been playing the latest Deus Ex game all day. The voice acting on that title really leaves something to be desired. Most of the game seems to take place in whatever part of Eastern Europe is home to Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.
    Philadelphia Red Stockings
    Transcontinental Baseball Association
    NYCL/East Champions: 1880, 1881, 1883, 1885, 1887, 1894, 1896, 1901, 1903, 1907, 1914, 1915, 1921
    Transcontinental League Champions: 1880, 1881, 1885, 1896, 1903
    Manager of the Year: 1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1887, 1892, 1903, 1905, 1907, 1921

Don't Starve

I bought a handful of games on the PSN holiday sale and this is the one that really grabbed me. It's roguelike and I've probably started 15 or so games so far. I keep thinking about how it reminds of the early part of Civ games. Explore the world, look for good resources and establish your first city camp. I still don't know how to make a good camp and I keep getting killed in new ways, so it's just that early Civ game feel over and over and I love it.

I kind of wish I'd bought the DLC packs before the sale ended.

It's a great game. If you are looking to get the DLCs, only the Reign of Giants one is essential at first. The Shipwrecked one is a different world type and adds very little to the original setting.
    Last edited by treedom; 01-12-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    disco!