Page 1651 of 1653 FirstFirst ... 651115115511601164116491650165116521653 LastLast
Results 16,501 to 16,510 of 16524

Thread: Talk MLB

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    Chris Paddack is already my favorite non-Dodger pitcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    Still the case. Equal parts talent, personality, and red-ass. Just glad he hasn't faced the Dodgers yet.
    Well, that worked itself out OK
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

35th & Shields & Yarnell eriqjaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgross68 View Post
    Edwin Jackson has been acquired by the Blue Jays.
    Quote Originally Posted by phenom View Post
    Nobody likes you.

Today's start for the Blue Jays (his 14th team) makes Jackson first among all MLB mercenaries moving ahead of Octavio Dotel. IIRC, Dotel never played for the same team twice, and Jackson has only one repeat, the Nationals.
    Last edited by darkhorse; 05-15-2019 at 04:30 PM.

After 5 consecutive losses for the Rangers, including a 4 game sweep in Houston, Texas bounces back somewhat with back to back road wins over KC. Holding an MLB team to one run in consecutive games is an impressive feat for this rickety pitching staff. Today, the Rangers routed the Royals 16-1 and Joey Gallo had the first 4-hit game of his career and tacked on a walk for good measure. His hit total included a pair of doubles and his 13th homer. Joey is now batting .269/.411/.654 as Texas pass the 1/4 mark of the long season. Gallo is surprisingly light on his feet for a man built like an NFL defensive end, has been a plus base runner in all his seasons, and has already made a career high 13 starts in center field.
    Last edited by darkhorse; 05-16-2019 at 08:49 PM.

I didn't realize how bad the Marlins have been. They're worse than the '03 Tigers so far, which was the worst team I've ever seen. It's going to be a real advantage for NL East teams to play them so often.

(Half of the Cubs' impressive run differential advantage is due to the games against them).
    Last edited by kingcharlesxii; 05-17-2019 at 12:06 PM.

I have the toes I have hamonrye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
    I didn't realize how bad the Marlins have been. They're worse than the '03 Tigers so far, which was the worst team I've ever seen. It's going to be a real advantage for NL East teams to play them so often.

(Half of the Cubs' impressive run differential advantage is due to the games against them).
    Case in point, as the Mets get ready for a series in Miami this weekend, the Mets pitchers have a higher OPS than the Marlins hitters (.596 to .587).

Mets probably lose 2 of 3.

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

It’s ridiculous and ridiculously rediculous that the Orioles didn’t record an out on that play, but unless Lindor goofs and runs into an out or someone falls down somewhere, I don’t see where the “easy double play” was supposed to come from on a slow chopper like that. Kipnis isn’t slow enough for it to have gone 4-2-3 (going to the plate was the entire point of playing in, Hanser Alberto!) or 4-6-3. It’s almost like Deadspin is just being snarky for the lulz or something.
    Last edited by jgross68; 05-18-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiwasusingWAYbeforeitwasmainstream: --> \_(ツ)_/

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Yeah, it's certainly not a double play. It's an out at home for a player with a functioning brain. I've seen guys make the "tag the guy" mistake, which results in a run scored. I've seen the "throw to first" mistake, which also means a run scored and two players in scoring position instead of one. Since I lived in So Cal when Steve Sax played second for the Dodgers, I've even seen the "somehow airmail the throw to another base" mistake, which has a result that's even worse than this but is the result of a physical rather than a mental mistake. But this is just awesome in its stupidity.

Speaking of things Deadspin shouldn't do, it feels like piling on to give any blame to Chris Davis for this play. He did what he could do - the play at home was certainly close enough to throw there.

Edit: I guess Davis should have given up on the runner a bit sooner, but it's still tough to put any of this on him.
    Last edited by Eck; 05-18-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

Yeah, that is not an "easy" double play. It's certainly possible, but not very.

I think it's fair to say that Davis wasn't exactly expecting the man on second to be heading home. And then he also just watched his second baseman sleepwalk his way into getting no outs, so I think it makes sense that he'd be stuck in that no man's land of "we've got to get an out here somehow, ok, I'll chase the runner, wait, everybody's yelling that the guy's going home???". When something completely bizarre happens right in front of them, it's tough to fault somebody for reacting suboptimally.