Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: Talk board games

I don't remember the details but they're available online. I think 3 is worse than 6. Spoiler warning if you start googling.

GMT Games and Playdek are teaming up to bring Labyrinth: The Global War on Terror 2001 - ?, Imperial Struggle and at least some of the COIN series titles to digital. Labyrinth is first up, with the Steam release slated for late 2018, followed up by mobile versions and the Awakening expansion some time after. Hopefully this goes a lot better than the Twilight Struggle digital port, but IIRC Playdek had nothing to do with that project early on and pretty much saved it when they came on board. There is a bit more detail in the BGG iOS Board Games blog.
    Last edited by jgross68; 07-23-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiusesometimes: --> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

What’s wrong with the TS port (I’ve never played the board version so I don’t know what I’m missing)?
    2017 NFL Loser’s Pool Champion!

He’d leave little notes for himself saying ‘You are not a chicken,’ although sometimes he thought he hwas lying.

There's nothing at all wrong with the Twilight Struggle digital edition - it's great! My poorly made point was that the project languished for a couple years and several developers after it was first announced before Playdek came along and brought it across the finish line.
    Last edited by jgross68; 07-23-2018 at 04:54 PM.

SixPitchers.com |

Consider me intrigued. The Labyrinth port should go more smoothly than the TS debacle, considering the bot AI has already been developed.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzard View Post
    Over Memorial Day weekend I went to my first gaming convention, the small invite-only Heavy Con. This is built out of the Heavy Cardboard Podcast, which specializes in heavy games. Man, was it fun. On the first day, five minutes upon arriving, we (w/ wife) sat down to play The Great Zimbabwe. A guy walks up and says "ooh, what are you playing? Can I get in? Oh wait, I have played that too many times *chuckling*". I look at his name tag and it was Jeroen Doumen, who designed the damn game! (All the Splotters actually, like Food Chain Magnate as well, he's a fookin genius)

It was a great time, everyone was super friendly, and I'm definitely going next year. Plus, they all knew and played heavy games! We played Zimbabwe some, our first games of Great Western Trail, some fillers, The Gallerist, and on the last day I finally got to play my first 18xx game. It was 1846 and wow, I think I am headed down a deep rabbit hole as I've already purchased 44/54 and am supporting 18Lilliput to get 18CZ included. This weekend I'm having our first home play (& teach) of 1846 with my friends. All week I've been looking forward to it. Should be a blast.
    Train games is good. I recommend 1830 and games in the 1830 branch. 1849 is my favorite. I was finally able to try 1841 recently and I'm still thinking about. It was a bit grueling and lasted far too long, but I'm guessing (hoping) that we might get the play time down by 20-30% if we were to try it again. The one play I had of 18CZ was enough for me, but you may like it more than I did. Great Zimbabwe is also a favorite. I love how open it is compared to something like Food Chain Magnate. It also typically plays in 1-1.5hrs.
    With their massive wealth and power the major families of Poland were able to create new cities at will.

Quote Originally Posted by ill16ca View Post
    Consider me intrigued. The Labyrinth port should go more smoothly than the TS debacle, considering the bot AI has already been developed.
    Right, I'm really hopeful that if Playdek does try to build an AI for Labyrinth and/or the COIN series games that plays differently than the flowchart bots, they do that as an update post-release - or, better yet, just never bother with it at all.
    Last edited by jgross68; 07-23-2018 at 05:14 PM.

SixPitchers.com |

Given my lack of reliable wargaming friends (one works weekends and the other lives in Halifax), I’ve decided to join a local wargaming community. I guess you’d call it a community? It’s a loose collection of nerds who put on a wargaming event a few times a year at a local hotel conference room. Apparently there are even a couple of Vermonters (Vermontonians?) who come up to play.

The focus is definitely on GMT games, so that piqued my interest. I signed up for a COIN game at their next event in a couple weeks, which will apparently be Fire in the Lake. I’ve never played a COIN game so that’s a little heavier than what I was hoping to start with. I more or less know the rules to Cuba Libre but that’s it. I told the other players I’d learn the rules beforehand, but I’m a little nervous I won’t fully grasp the intricacies of the rules before playing. Does anyone here (jgross? g20?) have experience with FitL? Or would you have any advice for a first time COINer?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

I haven't played Fire in the Lake and from what I've heard, it's the heaviest of the COIN series, but don't let that rattle you. What I've found from my experience in the COIN series is that you always get presented with several options on every turn, but that doesn't mean the "good" and "bad" options are always, if ever, readily apparent. The series does a good job, IMO, of modeling real life, in that each decision you make based on the information you have at the time is going to have some generally positive impact for your side that has some opportunity cost associated with it. I guess the one thing you always want to look out for is if the next card up has some horrible event for your faction. Pay attention to the player order on that card and if you can skip your current turn to keep that event from happening, that's probably worth it. Aside from that, the best ways to prepare are finding a video of someone doing a walkthrough/tutorial and/or taking a look at the bot flowcharts to see how they handle certain situations. BGG also has some strategy guides and player aids: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ire-lake/files. I have no idea if they're any good since I've never played, but it probably wouldn't hurt to check out the ones with high ratings.

Good luck, and remember: Charlie don't surf!

SixPitchers.com |

Doing some axis and allies for the first time since I was a kid with some work collegues. Combo of most of my department is big board game guys (settlers of catan is a fav) and theres bars here solely dedicated to board games makes it esy. I wonder if we will get out before the subways close
    Montreal Royals - 1899-1912, 1915-Present
    New England Midnight Riders - 2026-Present