Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Thread: Talk board games

Quote Originally Posted by Dagrims View Post
    Are there nine of you who want to play this with me?

The Campaign for North Africa
    I had that game right after I got out of law school. It was a blast to set up and read about. But the game was all about logistics, and rolling for the breakdown of each individual truck proved to be far too much for me and my tiny gaming circle. We may have played a week of game time, but I think it was a little less than that, while mutually agreeing to ignore one supply rule after another as they became too burdensome.

That was the era of the monster game. I also had War in the Pacific, which took up more space, had more pieces, and was slightly easier to play, not that we ever finished a game. Because of the amount of space it took up, the only practical way to handle it would have been to set it up on a wall with all the pieces taped to tiny magnets or have a room with a giant 10 x 10 table devoted exclusively to it. If you did that and had a friend with equal stamina, I think the game could actually have been played to a conclusion. I don't think that about Campaign for North Africa, at least not as written. There's a computer version War in the Pacific put out by Matrix Games that people actually play.

The biggest game we actually finished was Avalon Hill's aptly named The Longest Day about the Normandy landings and campaign. That was a lot of fun to play and took a mere two months or so. I gave up boardgames when I got married, All of those, along with an impressive APBA collection, went into the attic when I got married and were eventually destroyed in the Great Fire of 2004. Together, they would sell for thousands on Ebay if I still had them.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

50% off all in-stock games at GMT Games (maker of Twilight Struggle). Use promo code GMTSale2018. Promo is good through the 25th.

Dominant Species, Sekigahara, and Twilight Struggle all recommended (and aren't ineligible p500, I think)

Too late to be relevant, but be cautious of playing too many events in COIN. It's often better to bypass even a strong event to take an op+special to build your position on the board. I guess this is kind of a general CDG rule, too. If you can, make a note of how many cards passed since the last propaganda card to have an idea how much time you have until the next one. General free-for-all rule of not being the strongest one on the board until you can win the game rule applies. I played one learning game of FiTL a few years back, so can't say much specific to that one. The insurgent sides seem to need to win economically. Use the advantage of your units being much cheaper and try to bait the COIN side(s) into making unfavorable trades. If they spend 3 or 6 to take out your guerilla which cost 1 to place that's great for you. To that effect, don't concentrate your forces as the insurgent side. It's much more cost effective for COIN team to take out guerillas when they concentrate. None of this is likely to be anything you did not figure out on your own, but wanted to reply. Curious how the game went?
    With their massive wealth and power the major families of Poland were able to create new cities at will.

dola,

Most of my face-to-face games recently have been of 1849. I was fortunate to find a group wanting to play it regularly and it definitely gets better as players familiarize themselves with the game. I'm at 16 plays for the year and still find things to surprise me about the game each time. I have a hard time imagining a better example of the 18xx system. Market and track lay actions are both important. It can easily finish in under 4hrs without needing a bankruptcy to speed up the process. It's possible and somewhat common to have dramatic shifts in the game state, which is vastly preferable to the ones where someone wins by being .01% more efficient over the course of a 6-10hr game. The variable company start order gives each game a significantly different character.

I've also been playing the hell out of Terra Mystica on boardgamearena. My partner has been having some back problems making it easier for her to sit reclining, so we play from our computers. It was roughly a 6/10 game for me in the past (ok, but someone else would have to suggest it), but it's really hooked me since getting back in to it. I wasn't aware until I started playing online that the designers has released VP offsets to rebalance some of the factions vs. one another. I didn't love that at first because some of the values don't make sense to me, but it does have the general effect of not making a darkling pick such an "I Win" button, so I've grown to appreciate it from that respect.

I had been looking at getting Nothing Gained but Glory for some time and was going to get Under the Lily Banner (another Musket & Pike game) from the GMT sale which Dagrims pointed out, but it sold out between last night and this morning. I'm thinking of trying Fighting Formations since I've like the other Chad Jensen games I've tried so much.
    Last edited by g20; Yesterday at 08:56 AM.
    With their massive wealth and power the major families of Poland were able to create new cities at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzard View Post
    Dominant Species, Sekigahara, and Twilight Struggle all recommended (and aren't ineligible p500, I think)
    1846 too!

Speaking of, that's on the docket for tomorrow. HAPPY HAPPY DANCE DANCE! I think it might be our last round before trying another 18xx, probably 1844 or 1861 due to that being what I have.