Page 327 of 349 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 3489

Thread: What movie did you recently watch?

Hacksaw Ridge: Fantastic performance by Andrew Garfield, and some of the goriest war scenes I've ever seen. I gave it 4.5/5 ... but it got hard to watch after a while simply due to how graphic the Okinawa invasion scenes were.

Extreme violence is Mel Gibson's fetish.

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    A Serious Man

I let this one sink in for a few days before evaluating a score. This is a tough one. The Coen's probably think of this as one their proudest works although it wasn't a box office success and didn't win any major awards like so many of their other films.

I guess if you want a good look into why Joel and Ethan Coen are the way they are and make movies the way they do, this is a great place to start.

Bad things happen to good people, and that's nothing new to anyone who has spent time in the Coen universe, but why? We don't know and we'll never know. Most every movie buff here has probably spent time trying to look through the fog to find the true hidden motives in a Coen flick and sometimes we really do think we know. Even something as seemingly unconstrained as The Big Lebowski has layers and deep meanings and no end to theories on what it all means. Short version: We're all screwed.

What does it mean to be good? What is integrity? What is God's role in all this? What's the meaning behind the film's sudden climax?

:thatshrugsmileyJGusesometimes:
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 03-13-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Extreme violence is Mel Gibson's fetish.
    Yeah, no shit. This seemed even more over the top than Apocalypto or We Were Soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    A Serious Man

I let this one sink in for a few days before evaluating a score. This is a tough one. The Coen's probably think of this as one their proudest works although it wasn't a box office success and didn't win any major awards like so many of their other films.

I guess if you want a good look into why Joel and Ethan Coen are the way they are and make movies the way they do, this is a great place to start.

Bad things happen to good people, and that's nothing new to anyone who has spent time in the Coen universe, but why? We don't know and we'll never know. Most every movie buff here has probably spent time trying to look through the fog to find the true hidden motives in a Coen flick and sometimes we really do think we know. Even something as seemingly unconstrained as The Big Lebowski has layers and deep meanings and no end to theories on what it all means. Short version: We're all screwed.

What does it mean to be good? What is integrity? What is God's role in all this? What's the meaning behind the film's sudden climax?

:thatshrugsmileyJGusesometimes:
    A few years ago, I did a Coen Brothers Project where I watched all of their films -- even ones I'd seen before -- in order.

The three that stuck the most with me were Miller's Crossing, The Man Who Wasn't There, and A Serious Man. Especially ASM. It really delves into the human soul in a way that no other Coen film ever has.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
    I was referring to this century's DC movies. I'd probably give Batman a 3.5 but I'm not sure what I'd give Superman; it's been a long time since I've seen it. Not higher than a 3 though.
    Burton Batman: 4/5
    Reeve Superman: 2/5. It has not aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by attackemu View Post
    Well, I would recommend them both, it's just that they're both kind of interesting failures instead of being great. But I think movies that aim for greatness and miss are totally worth watching, and I don't know if everyone feels that way. The only movies from 2017 that I would absolutely recommend as great with no caveats were Get Out, The Big Sick, and Lady Bird.
    And, of course, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    A few years ago, I did a Coen Brothers Project where I watched all of their films -- even ones I'd seen before -- in order.

The three that stuck the most with me were Miller's Crossing, The Man Who Wasn't There, and A Serious Man. Especially ASM. It really delves into the human soul in a way that no other Coen film ever has.
    I like all of those you mentioned but I would go (just in terms of my favorites, and my favorites are dark as hell):

1. Barton Fink
    2. The Man Who Wasn't There
    3. No Country for Old Men
    4. Fargo
    5. The Big Lewbowski

5.(a) Burn After Reading (watch it again now, trust me)
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Pretty sure I've posted this here already but:

5/5
    01. Fargo
    02. The Man Who Wasn't There
    03. Miller's Crossing

4/5
    04. Barton Fink
    05. Hail Caesar!
    06. Burn After Reading
    07. A Serious Man
    08. No Country For Old Men

3/5
    09. True Grit
    10. O Brother Where Art Thou?
    11. Inside Llewyn Davis
    12. Intolerable Cruelty
    13. The Ladykillers
    14. Blood Simple

2/5
    15. The Big Lebowski
    16. The Hudsucker Proxy
    17. Raising Arizona
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    I need to watch The Man Who Wasn't There, Hail Caesar!, Intolerable Cruelty, Inside Llewyn Davis and The Hudsucker Proxy so I can do a Coen Bro list. Mine would probably be very different than Emu's (well, Fargo would probably be in the same spot).
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.