Page 378 of 383 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 3827

Thread: What movie did you recently watch?

Boyz n the Hood. I hadn't seen it since it came out. It was funny growing up a white kid in a horse town just outside of LA and having all this going on basically in your backyard, being so removed from yet so connected to it. This is the story of my childhood, or at least one particular backdrop against which I grew up, of course having nothing to do with it personally but just being so aware of it. I barely remembered any of it so it was almost an entirely new experience for me, and of course seeing it as an adult gives you a totally different perspective. I understood as a kid that there were intense social issues at play and I was able to view gang violence through that somewhat sympathetic lens.

The movie was at times painful to watch knowing how very real it all was. In other ways it was overly predictable and melodramatic. I can't say how much of that is a flaw of the movie and how much is just the film becoming dated. The score was certainly of a specific era, right on the transition from the 80s to the 90s, still full of 80s cheese, before grunge turned mass sensibilities on their head. It telegraphed what was going to happen to each character. But it also spoke very honestly and eloquently, particularly Laurence Fishburne's gentrification monologue, and I can only imagine how much more poignant it was coming in 1991.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotblack View Post
    But it also spoke very honestly and eloquently, particularly Laurence Fishburne's gentrification monologue, and I can only imagine how much more poignant it was coming in 1991.
    Pretty sure you're talking about Samuel L. Jackson, star of Driving Miss Daisy.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

Quote Originally Posted by Eck View Post
    Pretty sure you're talking about Samuel L. Jackson, star of Driving Miss Daisy.
    Oh, right. "I'm tired of these muthafuckin' boyz n da muthafuckin' hood!" Such a great monologue.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

I was watching a Rifftrax of Vanilla Ice's Cool as Ice and his character's "courtship" of the love interest consists of making her fall off his horse by jumping his motorcycle into a stable, stealing her personal organizer so he can stalk her (and progress the movie's surprisingly missing-organizer-centric plot) and then breaking into her bedroom at night and putting an ice cube in her mouth. That is some straight up serial killer shit.
    Last edited by UngratefulDead; 05-25-2019 at 05:37 PM.
    Philadelphia Red Stockings
    Transcontinental Baseball Association
    NYCL/East Champions: 1880, 1881, 1883, 1885, 1887, 1894, 1896, 1901, 1903, 1907, 1914, 1915, 1921
    Transcontinental League Champions: 1880, 1881, 1885, 1896, 1903
    Manager of the Year: 1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1887, 1892, 1903, 1905, 1907, 1921

I did my part to win the blockbuster contest for myself by seeing Detective Pikachu.

Actually, my wife loves Pokemon so I was going to see it anyway.

And actually, it was really well done. It's not just fan service, although there's plenty of that, too.

The only thing is: it's a lot of Ryan Reynolds. I don't mind him, but it helps to know what you're in for.
    This is not my new signature.

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Re-watched two movies I had previously seen, though neither in over a decade...

Mean Girls, which Nurse K somehow had never seen. Probably ranked in my top ten teen high school movies if I ever get around to that, it reminds you of a what a waste of a talent Lindsey Lohan turned out to be.

Jackie Brown, the only Tarantino movie aside from Death Proof that I had only seen one time. When Bridget Fonda pops up (I had forgotten she was in it) it made me wonder why she dropped out of Hollywood.

Both movies still hold up pretty well.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    Mean Girls
    Directed by Mark Waters, graduate of South Bend Riley High School, which also produced Larry Karaszewski (writer, Man on the Moon, The People vs. Larry Flint), Daniel Waters (Mark’s brother; writer, Heathers, Batman Returns) and yours truly (writer-producer, jgross68 Ranks the State Quarters).
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiwasusingWAYbeforeitwasmainstream: --> \_(ツ)_/

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    Mean Girls, which Nurse K somehow had never seen. Probably ranked in my top ten teen high school movies if I ever get around to that, it reminds you of a what a waste of a talent Lindsey Lohan turned out to be.
    Higher or lower than Election?

Schindleria Praematurus lastplaneout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagrims View Post
    Mean Girls has held up better than Election, I think. Or maybe better to say that recent events have made Election into a very different movie.
    Dick Allen was a true professional singer. He sang in a high, delicate tenor that belied his powerful body.

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagrims View Post
    No skipping ahead!

Above Election but below Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Clueless, and Superbad.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.