Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: Ping Commish

What is the minimum we need to offer for indy league players for this season?

$4,250

(And since I'm bad at announcing this every year, it's always 5% of the max cash, so just look at the big round number that lots of teams have and take 5% of that.)
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Quote Originally Posted by Hotblack View Post
    $4,250

(And since I'm bad at announcing this every year, it's always 5% of the max cash, so just look at the big round number that lots of teams have and take 5% of that.)
    I tried that, but there was no consistency on the cash numbers.

In the pines, in the pines where the sun never shines
    Last year, I purchased a young reliever from the Indy leagues named Johnny Conover, who was on a 1-year, $17k contract. The AI is now considering him the same as any other 2nd year player, except that his contract auto-renews at $17k instead of at the league minimum. Can you put his salary back to league mininum? Thx.
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

Quote Originally Posted by MannyTrillo View Post
    Last year, I purchased a young reliever from the Indy leagues named Johnny Conover, who was on a 1-year, $17k contract. The AI is now considering him the same as any other 2nd year player, except that his contract auto-renews at $17k instead of at the league minimum. Can you put his salary back to league mininum? Thx.
    Always, always, always ask HB with each Indy/Int'l league offer to convert their contracts to MLC's so this doesn't bite you in the ass. If you fail to do so, many of these kids will earn 3 years of ML service, no matter what level you are playing them at, before they hit their 20's and you'll either have to stick them on the 40 man roster or release them. Both are usually bad options and it's bleeping expensive.
    Last edited by darkhorse; 05-14-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyTrillo View Post
    When you purchase an indy player, you take on their contract. When a player has a contract above the minimum, it autorenews at the same salary. Acting as designed, ticket closed.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Here's what the rules say:

1. Players may be purchased from any league not affiliated with TCBA League One;
    2. Teams must submit a blind cash bid to the Commissioner that is at least 5% of the league's maximum cash;
    2a. Teams must have sufficient "$ for Free Agents" as specified in their financial report to cover said bid;
    3. Teams may submit no more than three (3) bids in any two-week period;
    4. Teams may purchase no more than three (3) players in any one season;
    5. Teams must assume the player's existing contract;
    5a. Teams must have sufficient "$ for Free Agents" to pay the current year's salary, in addition to their submitted bid;
    5b. Players with no major league experience may have their contracts bought out and converted to minor league contracts;
    5b(2). Teams must have sufficient "$ for Free Agents" to buy out the contract in full, in addition to their submitted bid;
    6. Players may only be purchased during the trading window, from the start of the offseason until July 31st the following year.
    It looks to me like I bought out his contract and it should be converted to a MiLC? If not, what does "bought out" mean in this context?

At the very least it doesn't say anything about contracts auto-renewing at higher amounts, so can I release him without penalty?
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

I had that same confusion a while back, but Hotblack cleared it up for me. Essentially, the money you pay at the front is just to the team to purchase his contract. Then you have to specify that you want to convert it to a MiLC, in which case you then have to pay the player the amount of his contract. So it's a separate payment.

It's always auto-renewed them at the same price as their one-year deal. That has also caught me in the past.
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

[URL="https://softcoresophistry.com/2018/05/17/laurel-vs-yanny-is-why-trump-won/"]Latest post from 5/17/18: Laurel vs Yanny is why Trump one/URL] - Don't trust anyone who says they hear Yanny. Either they're a contrarian troll, or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
    I had that same confusion a while back, but Hotblack cleared it up for me. Essentially, the money you pay at the front is just to the team to purchase his contract. Then you have to specify that you want to convert it to a MiLC, in which case you then have to pay the player the amount of his contract. So it's a separate payment.

It's always auto-renewed them at the same price as their one-year deal. That has also caught me in the past.
    Oh really? Has getting smacked upside your pointy little head ever "caught you in the past?"

Not that I can remember.
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

[URL="https://softcoresophistry.com/2018/05/17/laurel-vs-yanny-is-why-trump-won/"]Latest post from 5/17/18: Laurel vs Yanny is why Trump one/URL] - Don't trust anyone who says they hear Yanny. Either they're a contrarian troll, or worse.