Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: So, how about that whole "gamers are bad" vs. "unethical game jouralists" brouhaha?

There are two different aspects of watching esports, just like other sports: the skill and the entertainment.

With soccer or basketball, I can watch on TV with no commentators/sound, and just enjoy it. With American football or baseball, it's so slow and I'll get distracted easily, therefore not as fun without all the other things they are trying to say or show. With things like pro-wrestling, I am not sure the part I am enjoying is the skill part at all.

Same for esports. There are some games where you can just watch and be thrilled. For some others, it's only enjoyable with good commentators. And there are actually a lot of game casting that's very interesting not because the player is good, but because the player is interesting. A lot of truck driving simulation streams are surprisingly enjoyable, because it feels like you are going on a road trip with a chatterbox in the driver's seat.

I generally like the streamers who try to teach the game they are playing while they are playing it. This makes the times I play the game more enjoyable and I'll watch them when I'm not near my gaming PC. Obviously for a twitch-heavy (pun intended) FPS, it's a lot harder to explain what's going through their mind than a strategy game. The teachers are the ones I come back to most often but there's a couple I'll watch every now and then just because they're a great personality like skipaway mentioned.

I've also found I watch this kind of stuff a lot more now that I've completely dropped cable and most streaming services.
    Last edited by kingcharlesxii; 01-09-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
    I generally like the streamers who try to teach the game they are playing while they are playing it. This makes the times I play the game more enjoyable and I'll watch them when I'm not near my gaming PC. Obviously for a twitch-heavy (pun intended) FPS, it's a lot harder to explain what's going through their mind than a strategy game. The teachers are the ones I come back to most often but there's a couple I'll watch every now and then just because they're a great personality like skipaway mentioned.

I've also found I watch this kind of stuff a lot more now that I've completely dropped cable and most streaming services.
    When I was learning Hearthstone, I had three or four streamers I loved to watch and they were always the ones who could/would stop what they were doing and talk through why the move was X instead of Y. It gave me so many rules of thumb that helped as I got good - e.g., if you have a weird niche card you could play, you should, because the generically good thing will still be good in another turn; know how you lose from any given position so you know how to avoid that situation; etc.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.