Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: State of the League

And I found the database to use, Gambo/Spritze for OOTP 12. It has the two guys I checked for, Al Durham and Clarence Kraft, with their minor league stats adjusted downward but they both would still have imported as very good players. I think this is the way to go.

So, I'll have to redo that deduplication using this master file instead, but I have the process down now and should be able to do it tonight while watching baseball, and then the rest should be a relative breeze.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

This is great! Is this still coming with a transition to 20, or are we staying on 19?
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

Latest post from 11/13/18: 9 Amazing Facts About Lions that Will Shock - I'll admit, I kind of phoned this one. But the lion facts are 100% real and the Lion King images are 100% without permission.

It would be in 20. We'll be wedded to that version for the foreseeable future so I'd like it to be current, and we're going to need to replace at least a couple people which will be a lot easier using 20.

I haven't bought 20 yet, but I will. I just need a good timeline on the transition so I can get it when needed.

I'm not sure how I'm going to budget in 20 but I think I can make it work. I really don't want to have to quit this league.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Solid night of work thanks to a very quickly uninteresting Dodger game. Cleared out the duplicates from Gambo's database as well as I could and I've started cleaning up some of the career stats.

I'll give everyone plenty of notice about the conversion. I don't expect it would happen any time before I get back from vacation on July 7. I'm just hoping to finish everything on my end and send it to Spritze before I leave next weekend. Hopefully it will go on sale between now and then (isn't there always an all-star sale?).

Quote Originally Posted by Hotblack View Post
    Solid night of work thanks to a very quickly uninteresting Dodger game. Cleared out the duplicates from Gambo's database as well as I could and I've started cleaning up some of the career stats.

I'll give everyone plenty of notice about the conversion. I don't expect it would happen any time before I get back from vacation on July 7. I'm just hoping to finish everything on my end and send it to Spritze before I leave next weekend. Hopefully it will go on sale between now and then (isn't there always an all-star sale?).
    Correct. There's always an All Star sale. It's usually 50% off.

And that's two days after I get back, so folks can definitely wait until then to purchase it.

I've been forced to scale back my ambitions due to the limitations of historical imports, and to preserve my own sanity. Digging into the league history has revealed rabbit holes upon rabbit holes and I could spend months in isolation researching and correcting the history of our many leagues and teams, especially around the pro/rel folly. All the changes over the years have really mangled some of the league history, putting teams in the wrong league and other leagues vanishing from existence entirely. But OOTP doesn't import defunct leagues even when using full historical minors, so there's really no point in sorting all that out if a league is not still in existence. The old 19th-century indy leagues like the Southern Pacific League (1876-1894) will be gone, though their history will live on in the old file. But I can link the original Midwestern League (1872-1894) with the revived one (1908-present) since many of the teams in the league today are the same ones that were in the first incarnation, before their detour into the pro/rel leagues. I think I can also preserve the World's Series history from 1900-1924 as its own league, and then create a new World's Series that will have its own records and history.

I'm having to refocus on what my ultimate goal here should be, which is to create a playable league file that has correct historical big league stats, and anything else is bonus. We can refer to the old file and other sources for accurate historical info, and maybe over time I can build a comprehensive history of the indy/international/minor leagues. At the very least, I can fix issues like Perry Werden having no TCBA stats because his Twin Cities stats were switched into indy level when his team got relegated, and clearing out real historical stats that are being incorrectly attributed to TCBA teams of the same name like the New Orleans Pelicans. Minor/indy league stats won't always be correct for older players, but if the TCBA leaderboards are accurate, I'll be happy.

Anyway, I was growing very discouraged over what an increasingly laborous undertaking this was shaping out to be and how daunting it was becoming to get everything perfect, but now I'm feeling a renewed sense of optimism that I'm almost there and that the end product will be good enough, and that's what it'll have to be. Of course, this all still rests on this whole database concept working at all, which I think it will, but I just won't know until I send him the files, see what he says about them, and then what happens when I actually try to set up a new league.
    Last edited by Hotblack; 06-14-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotblack View Post
    But OOTP doesn't import defunct leagues even when using full historical minors, so there's really no point in sorting all that out if a league is not still in existence. The old 19th-century indy leagues like the Southern Pacific League (1876-1894) will be gone, though their history will live on in the old file. But I can link the original Midwestern League (1872-1894) with the revived one (1908-present) since many of the teams in the league today are the same ones that were in the first incarnation, before their detour into the pro/rel leagues. I think I can also preserve the World's Series history from 1900-1924 as its own league, and then create a new World's Series that will have its own records and history.
    Hey, guess what! It doesn't import minor league history at all! So there's really no point in worrying about this at all. I just need to focus on player stats and forget about the non-TCBA leagues entirely.