Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2035 Season

2035 Season

It was a disappointing start to the offseason as our primary target Mario Ortiz became too expensive for us and went to New Orleans. I was not remotely interested in paying Shiggy Tada the money he wanted for the length of time he wanted and never got into that bidding. But we needed outfield help badly so instead of signing one great player, I brought in four productive players: Zane Cooper, Adrien Jaques, Pat Pickens, and Ed Hinkle. It'll be a crowded outfield with Ronnie Smith, Joe Aldridge, and Thing 1 Rodriguez returning, plus prospect Eric Soto competing for a roster spot, but injuries will surely cull the herd and there's always options, trades, and DFAs.

But with about $20 million burning a hole in our pocket and no hitters worth spending it on who couldn't find more money elsewhere, I decided to roll the dice and bring in the immensely talented yet brittle starting pitcher Mahzun Temiz on a deal that gives both sides some insurance, guaranteeing him $37 million over the next two years and the chance to opt out or else take another two years at $41m plus two more vesting options after that. If he stays healthy and dominates for two years, he can try his luck at a better deal and we got two productive years out of him, or else we're hoping his arm doesn't fall off for the next four years. And then if it's still attached, we have the chance at two more risk-free seasons. It's a gamble, but we're at a point in our competitive cycle where we need to aim big and he could be one of the very best pitchers in the league. He has failed to pitch 137 innings only once and has averaged 158 innings and 4.3 WAR over a nine-year career. And by signing him away from Houston, you could say we're doubling that WAR as we try to keep pace with the Cane, who as we all know are nearing the end of their run of dominance.

It bumps our #5 starter Eric Ward to the pen where he might be better suited, having struck out 81 batters against 50 walks in 124 innings with a 2.46 ERA that belied some fairly pedestrian peripherals. Depth is the name of the game and we have a very deep pitching corps this year, with ten guys who could step into the rotation tomorrow if need be and a few more prospects knocking on the door. Our lineup should be solid, especially if we get a bounceback year from Thing 1, and again, we have plenty of options if guys get hurt or fail.

Perhaps our biggest offseason moves were to lock up a few young core players on the cheap. Ying-Yang Leon signed for three years plus a team option at $2.15m per, SP Benny Greer reupped at 5 years and just $4m, and in the biggest get of all, we inked Boy Wonder Benson at an absurd 5 years, $10.75m that starts at $750k and ends at $4m, buying out three free agent years for a guy who gave us 2.2 WAR last year, is still just 25, and has the potential to provide so much more.

I am hopeful that we're in a good position to challenge for a playoff spot or even a league title. We have a few big stars and a lot of productive players around them, a strong rotation and lineup and a lights-out bullpen. LET'S DO THIS
    Last edited by Hotblack; 05-13-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Ownership freed up $0 for free agent acquisitions this offseason, and both Tony Farmer and Lambert Daalmeijer are asking for ridiculous amounts in extension, so this is likely the beginning of the end for the Millers over the remainder of the 203Xs.

Grats, Hotblack, on your successful acquisitions.

Whether the acquisitions are successful is very much an open question. Mario Lopez Ortiz comes with his own questions but I'd feel a lot better if I'd just signed him instead. We'll see how much of this shit sticks.

It was a quiet offseason for Dakota.

We made a run at SP Jorge Gallo, but bidding got a little hot, and I didn't feel it was worth taking that flyer for this team. Last season we signed a couple guys to extension (OF Chris Tristar for 4/$30M, while SP Aurelio Perez got 7/$89M), which was nice only because I have had other situations where guys weren't looking to re-sign. So while we potentially had some money to spend even with our league low $93M budget, we saved a little bit for the future and signed some guys to minor league deals for depth.

So, we'll be banking on internal improvement to improve on our 77 win season (IIRC). I don't think we're ready to challenge for a playoff spot, but I'm optimistic we can get to 85 wins, which would qualify as the second best season in franchise history. We have had two fairly reliable innings eaters at the top of the rotation, and our bullpen was really solid and deep, but we struggled to find any consistency in the 3-5 spots of the rotation, even going with a hybrid opener type role in the #5 spot. We'll hope for more good bullpen work and pray that a couple of the fringe guys can give us consistency this year.

Our lineup has the chance to be a little better as everyone is a year older, in a good way. C Orlando Gonzalez delivered a 4+ WAR season with 36 HRs, while 3B Hector Rodriguez was a pleasant surprise with over 2 WAR. We had high hopes that SS Manny Molina could give us 100 games or so, but he was only able to play 55 games due to injury, though he batted .317 in those games. Once again, we just hope for 2/3 of a season from him! Two young guys who got a full year of time - OF Joe Jones hit .271 with a 1.4 WAR at age 22, while 2B Ron Hull parlayed great defense and good power into a positive WAR in 66 games despite batting less than .200!

Down on the farm, we're back to the #1 system with 3 top 10 prospects. #5 3B Mauro Colon has had up and down numbers after being the #1 pick a few years back, struggling at A ball last year as a 20 year old. On the other hand, SS/3B Juan Carlos Cintron (#6) tore up A and AA ball as a 19 year old. He'll start at AA but look to earn a promotion if he keeps raking. SP Christian Garza (#8) had a lost year due to injury. He is always productive, but I can already see a lifetime worth of injury problems (TINSTAAPP). #32 prospect 3B Edmund Carter had a nice year at AAA and could be ready for the Majors at any time. Overall, 7 prospects in the top 100, so I feel good about the future.

Our long-term issue will be our revenue - thanks to decades of struggling, our media revenue is tiny, season ticket revenue is low, and overall revenue from all means is low. We need that to turn around so we can be competitive for the long haul. Hopefully some wins can help.
    Last edited by twins15; 05-13-2019 at 03:47 PM.

The only thing certain about 2035 in Houston will be the uncertainty. The team will be return pretty much intact from last year with the notable exception of the previously mentioned SP Mahzun Temiz, who defected to Beaverton. Temiz was really good in his stint in Houston but really fragile - he averaged just 122 innings per year in his three full seasons, but delivered nearly 10 WAR over that period. Ultimately, locking Temiz up to a $100mm extension was deemed too risky and he was allowed to exit via free agency. Ageless slugger 3B John Whittier was signed late in free agency and will return to Houston for his 18th OTBL season. Whittier is just 35 hits away from 2,500 for his career and is one of six players to eclipse 10,000 career plate appearances.

Houston will attempt to replace Temiz with a combination of young arms and the continued dependability of SP Randy Blankenbecler. SP Ben Navarro saw his performance regress a bit in his sophomore season after a stellar rookie campaign, but rookie P Victor Perez enjoyed a fine season as a swingman starting 10 games due to Temiz injury. SP AJ McBean, acquired from San Antonio at the 2033 trade deadline, will also get a chance to compete for a spot in the rotation. McBean tore his labrum in July, but was putting together a great season at AAA Ok City to that point. Blankenbecler finished with double-digit complete games for the fifth consecutive season, becoming the league’s all-time leader in the process. Meat needs just one more CG to become the first player ever to reach triple digits.

In the lineup, C Alex Delgado has the unenviable task of replacing a legend following the retirement of C Dusty Zdroik. Delgado has been very good splitting time with Zdroik the past three seasons (3.5 WAR/500 AB) but it remains to be seen how he’ll fare as the #1 catcher. The other question will be how to fit four outfielders into three spots. CF Manchu Woo was fantastic in his return to Houston (2.9 WAR in 350 PA), so the goal will be to get Wayne Denning into the lineup at all three outfield spots, which will hopefully help reduce injury risk for Denning and LF Seth Mars.
    Last edited by Hammer; 05-13-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    - Yeah, you know, a white guy ... mustache ... about six-foot-three.
    - Awfully big mustache.

OTBL2
    Houston Hurricane
    2022, 2024, 2025, 2027, 2029, 2030, 2032
    Continental League
    Houston Judges
    1963, 1964

The biggest news of the offseason in Houston was the retirement of legendary C Dusty Zdroik, who decided to hang up his cleats after 15 years in a Hurricane jersey. A Louisiana native, Zdroik was selected by Houston with the 9th pick in the first round of the 2015 amateur draft. He was promoted to AAA by age 19, but spent almost three years there before joining the big league club. Zdroik was the starting catcher on opening day 2020 and would remain there for the next decade and a half.

Zdroik would go on to become of the most decorated players in OTBL history, beginning with the RiPL’s Smithson Award after his freshman campaign. He would finish his illustrious career as a 7-time OTBL champion, a 13-time All-Star (tied for the most in league history with fellow backstop legend Jon Sproul), win three Zaki Awards, and capture a post-season MVP for every single series (LDS in 2024, LCS in 2030 and TOS in 2027 and 2029) ... Zdroik even won the All-Star Game MVP in 2028.

Dusty finished his career with the fifth-most WAR ever (79.9), fifth-highest OBP (.418), is one of only seven batters with a career wOBA of .400 or greater and one of only three to draw more than 1,400 walks. Though he was never feared as a power hitter, Zdroik still managed to sock 304 dingers, allowing him to rank 10th in career OPS.

And that was just the regular season ... Dusty Zdroik is also the most prolific post-season hitter in OTBL history. He holds league records for playoff Games (135), Plate Appearances (608), RBI (84), 2B (35), Extra Base Hits (62) & BB (108) and ranks second in Hits, Home Runs and Runs.

The only real hole in Zdroik’s game was in the field, where he put up some very poor metrics and caught just 27% of runners attempting to steal. The suggestion was made several times during his career to move the slugger to DH but each time it was tried, the experiment was abandoned in short order. His bat simply played so well behind the plate that it was worth the reduced playing time and negative fielding value.

Zdroik was elected unanimously to the OTBL Hall of Fame this off-season, where he’ll join former teammates P Shane Takacs and P Reid Jones, while the organization has already announced that his #16 will be retired in a ceremony on Opening Day.
    Last edited by Hammer; 05-13-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    - Yeah, you know, a white guy ... mustache ... about six-foot-three.
    - Awfully big mustache.

OTBL2
    Houston Hurricane
    2022, 2024, 2025, 2027, 2029, 2030, 2032
    Continental League
    Houston Judges
    1963, 1964

San Francisco went into the offseason with a promising group of young pitchers and a bunch of money. Fresh off a 76-win season and a reliance on young pitchers, it would have been easy to just splurge and buy some good players. So that's what we did!

We were one of the teams who lost out to stupid New Orleans in the bidding for Mario Ortiz, as we found ourselves in the unenviable position of being the favored suitor when we switched to two-week sims. So we adapted and got OF Shiggy Tada who was super smart and had a career year last season before becoming a free agent. Will he be worth $20 million a year as he enters his 30s? According to my scout, "Sure, it's not my money." Hooray!

We were ecstatic to bring back C Wiley Greer, the greatest Bullet ever. He's about to turn 34, but in his season and a half with Chicago, he managed to win his fourth and fifth Zakis. Even with his (prolific) time away from the Bay, he is the all-time WAR leader for the Bullets by 13. Even as he declines, he's a great addition to the team. I'm not worried about overpaying him.

Tada and Greer should combine with the jewel of the Greer trade, Luis Meza, to give San Francisco a formidable heart of the order. They'll be surrounded by other guys. If some of those guys can pan out as decent hitters, and our young pitching staff can continue making strides, we could be a fun team! At the very least, our defense will be rock solid, which will make our pitchers look better than they are, and then I can trade them to some of the suckers around the league for further improvements.

We probably won't compete for the postseason this year, but looking around at the competition in this division, anything's possible. Still, we should improve on last year's mark and get above .500 and watch Wiley Greer finish his journey from seventh-round pick to Hall of Famer.
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

Latest post from 11/13/18: 9 Amazing Facts About Lions that Will Shock - I'll admit, I kind of phoned this one. But the lion facts are 100% real and the Lion King images are 100% without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
    So we adapted and got OF Shiggy Tada who was super smart and had a career year last season before becoming a free agent. Will he be worth $20 million a year as he enters his 30s?
    I gotta say no. For his entire career, he had been the same player, an on-base-heavy high-.700s OPS guy with good defense and a shaky health history. I saw nothing to indicate that he'd taken his game to a new level. His BABIP jumped 100 points from both of the previous two years without any corresponding ratings bump and he somehow made it through the entire year without even a day-to-day injury after five previous DL injuries and 18 total. I wish you nothing but the best (well, except to lose to us in the ToS) but I wouldn't have paid him anywhere near that.

It's nice to see Chavez and Temiz back together.
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

Agreed!