Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 OTBL Summer Blockbuster Movie Contest

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar

2019 OTBL Summer Blockbuster Movie Contest

It's time for the Summer Blockbuster Movie Contest!

The summer movie season kicks off on May 10. You can expect the usual superheroes, sequels, reboots, and animated family films along with maybe an original idea or two.

This is the official entry thread for the 14th annual OTBL Summer Blockbuster Movie Challenge.

Contestants will pick five movies which they think will be the biggest blockbusters of the summer in terms of earning power. These five movies will be ranked one through five with slot number one being the movie you think will have the most box office clout.

This contest will run from May 10, 2019 through the release of movies on August 9, 2019. All eligible movies must be released in US theaters during that time span. Movies delayed to a date outside the contest will not be eligible and points for that selection will be lost.

Movie selections will be scored based on the first four weeks of box office revenue only, starting from the first day of general release. Cumulative gross dollars (in millions earned) will count as points. I will always round down to the nearest whole million dollar. For weekly updates, boxofficemojo.com will be used for scoring.

Scores will be weighted depending on placement in your top five. Your first ranked movie is worth 1.5x (millions of dollars in ticket revenue). Your second is 1.4x and so on to your number five which is worth 1.1x. Box office revenue and points earned will always be rounded down.

A Sleeper Hit bonus selection will be added after everyone has picked their top five.

New this year: An additional "Bonus" selection will be added at a later date. More info to come. The time stamp on your posted ballot may have an affect on this bonus.

This contest is open to anyone with an account at OTBL.org.

Previous winners
    2018: Sublimity (By 2 points, closest finish in contest history!)
    2017: Spielman
    2016: kingcharlesxii
    2015: LivnLegend
    2014: LivnLegend
    2013: Dagrims
    2012: Noct
    2011: DelgadoDawg
    2010: Eck
    2009: Mike D
    2008: Prof
    2007: Dwolfson
    2006: Mike D
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 05-02-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Some movies that may interest you:

May 10
    Detective Pickachu – Ryan Reynolds voices everyone’s favorite Pokemon character
    The Hustle – A buddy comedy with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson. Appears to be a modern take on Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
    Poms – A comedy about a group of women who form a cheerleading squad at their retirement community. Diane Keaton and Pam Grier.

May 17
    A Dog’s Journey - A dog finds the meaning of his own existence through the lives of the humans he meets. Denis Quaid.
    John Wick Chapter 3 – Keanuu Reeves is back, as hitman with a price on his head. Lots o violence will ensue.

May 24
    Aladdin – Live action genie adventure with Will Smith providing wishes to a kindhearted street urchin with eyes on the princess prize.
    Booksmart – Two nerdy overachievers decide to make up for years of missed partying on the eve of graduation. Jason Sudeikis, Will Forte, and Lisa Kudrow.
    Ad Astra - Science fiction with Brad Pitt as an astronaut traveling to the outer edge of the solar system.
    Brightburn - What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister? Elizabeth Banks and David Denman star.

May 31
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters – The mighty Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and more, threaten to terrorize the planet. Stars Millie Bobby Brown and Vera Farmiga
    Rocketman – Elton John biopic with Taron Egerton in the leading role
    Ma - A psychological thriller Ma with Octavia Spencer, Juliette Lewis and Luke Evans.

June 7
    Dark Phoenix – Those other Marvel comic heroes watch as Jean Grey develops powers that threaten to turn her evil and threatens the world. Sophie Turner and James McAvoy.
    The Secret Life of Pets 2 – Animated sequel to the 2016 summer hit ($368 million in the US), Patton Oswalt and a whole host of others provide the voices.
    Late Night - A late-night talk show host suspects that she may soon be losing her long-running show. Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling.

June 14
    Men in Black International – The protectors of Earth return in their efforts to keep us safe from the scum of the universe. Stars Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth together again (Thor Ragnarok/Avengers).
    Shaft – Samuel L Jackson is back, but it’s his son, John Shaft III, who gets the family back together to stop a cyberthief.

June 21
    Anna – Sure, Sasha Luss as Anna is a striking beauty but underneath lurks yet another secret government trained assassin. With Helen Mirren.
    Child’s Play – An update on the slasher sinister doll horror story with John Gruden Mark Hamill as Chucky.
    Toy Story 4 - Our old toy friends go on a road trip together. Pixar.
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 05-02-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

June 28
    Yesterday – A struggling musician is the only person on Earth who can remember the Beatles.
    Annabelle Comes Home – Another horror doll movie, this one is a sequel to the 2017 original.

July 3
    Spider-Man: Far from Home – We’ve seen Spider-Man in outer space but this time he’s a little closer to home, finding himself in Europe on a secret mission for Nick Fury.
    Midsommar - A couple travel to Sweden for a summer festival where they encounter a deadly pagan cult.

July 12
    21 Bridges - Chadwick Boseman is a disgraced detective in the NYPD is given a shot at redemption, shutting down all the ways in and out of New York City to catch the bad guys.
    Stuber – A detective recruits his Uber driver into a night of adventure. Dave Bautista and Kumail Nanjiani.
    Crawl - Horror/suspense finds a young woman in Florida trapped in a flooded house during a hurricane surrounded by alligators

July 19
    The Lion King - A photorealistic computer animated remake of Disney's animated 1994 film of the same name. Voices by Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Chiwetel Ejiofor and many others.

July 26
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood – Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt star as a faded television actor and stunt double striving to achieve fame in 1969 Los Angeles. Quentin Tarantino directs.
    Brahms: The Boy II - Yet another doll horror movie! After a family moves into a mansion, their young son soon makes friends with a life-like doll called Brahms.

July 31
    Dora and the Lost City of Gold - A teenage explorer, leads her friends (including I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map) on an adventure to save her parents and solve the mystery behind a lost city of gold.

Aug 2
    Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw – Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham have to save the world from a genetically altered bad guy (Idris Elba).
    The New Mutants – Another installment in the X-Men series, this one follows a new batch of mutants growing up together.

Aug 9
    Artemis Fowl - Adventure film based on the first two novels in the series of the same name by Eoin Colfer. Directed by Kenneth Branagh.
    The Kitchen - Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish star in a drama set in 1970s New York. After the FBI arrested their mob boss husbands, the wives decide to take over the criminal business.
    Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - A group of teens face their fears in order to save their lives.
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 05-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Wow, overall that's a load of shit.

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    1. Lion King
    2. Toy Story 4
    3. Spiderman
    4. Pikachu
    5. Aladdin
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

1. Spider-Man: Far From Home
    2. Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw
    3. Toy Story 4
    4. Secret Life of Pets 2
    5. The Lion King
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

Latest post from 11/13/18: 9 Amazing Facts About Lions that Will Shock - I'll admit, I kind of phoned this one. But the lion facts are 100% real and the Lion King images are 100% without permission.

1. Spider-Man: Far From Home
    2. Toy Story 4
    3. Secret Life of Pets 2
    4. Hobbs & Whomever in Yet Another F&F Movie
    5. Lion King

(subject to change) Meh. I'll just go with my massive gut.
    Last edited by jgross68; 05-03-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiwasusingWAYbeforeitwasmainstream: --> \_(ツ)_/

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

Quote Originally Posted by Dagrims View Post
    Wow, overall that's a load of shit.
    The thread to complain about movies is over there ===>

[though thanks for the rep message, putting this together involves a little work!]

While opinions may vary on this year's crop, I do think we will have more diversity than last year's ballots where just 8 movies were selected across 23 permutations.

Again, as far as quality goes, think back to just three years ago in 2016 when movies like Suicide Squad and X-Men: Apocalypse ended up being among the five most successful movies of the summer.
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 05-02-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Good timing, putting this up after Endgame. It would have been really boring if everyone had the same number one.
    Things can always be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    The thread to complain about movies is over there ===>

[though thanks for the rep message, putting this together involves a little work!]

While opinions may vary on this year's crop, I do think we will have more diversity than last year's ballots where just 8 movies were selected across 23 permutations.

Again, as far as quality goes, think back to just three years ago in 2016 when movies like Suicide Squad and X-Men: Apocalypse ended up being among the five most successful movies of the summer.
    Oh, I think there are plenty of movies in that list that will make a lot of money. Just seems like the overall quality of the films listed is poor.