Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampdragon's Marathon Baseball Extravaganza

91. Rays 8, Blue Jays 4

1. The Rays played a tight game most of the way through and put the game away with a 5 run 8th inning. Some interesting things happened along the way.
    2. Randall Grichuk made a great catch in the second inning to take away extra bases.
    3. Lourdes Gurriel is a well-regarded young second baseman who was given a seven year extension by the Jays a couple of years ago, but now he appears to have an emerging Steve Sax Syndrome. He badly whiffed an absolutely routine throw to first base in the 3rd, and they showed a similar play from last night. Anyone reading this could have made that throw. He was taken out of the game.
    4. The Jays loaded the bases in the 4th and 5th, failing to score either time.
    5. When did I miss Freddy Galvis turning into an All-Star?
    6. Blue Jay reliever Pannone had an immaculate inning. He belongs in the rotation.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    3. Lourdes Gurriel is a well-regarded young second baseman who was given a seven year extension by the Jays a couple of years ago, but now he appears to have an emerging Steve Sax Syndrome. He badly whiffed an absolutely routine throw to first base in the 3rd, and they showed a similar play from last night. Anyone reading this could have made that throw. He was taken out of the game.
    Just a clarification: Gurriel was signed straight out of Cuba to a 7 year contract. But yeah, he could definitely use some seasoning in AAA. I'm not particularly high on him as a prospect; he swings at everything, he's extremely streaky, and his lack of defensive acumen at any position is worrying. That 11-game multi-hit streak seems like a lifetime ago.

6. Blue Jay reliever Pannone had an immaculate inning. He belongs in the rotation.
    It would be nice to see him get extended run in the rotation, but there are currently not spots available, and Borucki hasn't even returned yet. He also got lit up in his one start this year. But I think he'll get extended run in the rotation before the season is up, since there's little chance that Buchholz, Stroman, Sanchez and Shoemaker are all on the team after the trade deadline.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

I misunderstood the announcers on Gurriel. I just assumed he was a kid who management had extended early. I have no idea of whether he belongs in AAA, but when plays that routine are botched for no reason, something's up. It looked like it had to be a psychological thing.

Something was wrong with Stroman today. He looked like he really did not want to be out there.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

I misunderstood the announcers on Gurriel. I just assumed he was a kid who management had extended early. I have no idea of whether he belongs in AAA, but when plays that routine are botched for no reason, something's up. It looked like it had to be a psychological thing.
    He's definitely in his own head right now. And he actually was demoted a short while ago. The majors is not the place to sort out those types of defensive demons, especially when one's OPS is .525.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

92. Phillies 3, Marlins 1 (14)

1. I had to get one of these sometime. The first nine innings were a good pitchers duel, starting with Velasquez and Urena, and continuing a good way into extra innings.
    2. Solo homers by Hernandez and Anderson were the only runs scored through 13. The Phillies wasted a number of opportunities. Harper was thrown out at the plate in the 6th, and the bases were loaded in the 9th. The Marlins were no hit until Anderson hit his homer, and I think they only had four or five hits through the entire game.
    3. The Phillies had a reliever named Arano, just up from AAA, who struck out the side in the 12th and 13th. So in the top of the 14th, the Marlins turned to Chen and his 24.75 ERA. He gave up a one out triple to McCutcheon and a two run homer to Segura. The Marlins did get a man on their half of the inning, but he was erased on a double play.

Behind schedule. Tigers-Twins next.

93. Tigers 4, Twins 6

1. Berrios had a bit of a rocky start. He gave up a two run homer in the 2nd, and Buxton made a five star catch at the wall in the 3rd. After that, he somehow settled down and got into the 7th inning without giving up any thing else before leaving the game.
    2. Zimmermann was pitching batting practice. He made it through three innings, four hard hits for extra bases, and five runs allowed before Daniel Norris took over, Norris wasn't hard to hit and was peppered for a number of singles, but he was always able to keep the hits from bunching together after giving up a solo homer to Rosario.
    3. The Tigers loaded the bases in both the 8th and the 9th. They got two runs in the 8th to cut the lead to 6-4. In the 9th, Baldelli brought in Hildenberger, who was very impressive. He only threw 93, but the ball went where he told it to go, and he struck out both batters he faced to end the game. His ERA through 8 appearances is 0.00. If twins15 is reading this, he needs to tell me who this guy is.
    4. I'd already seen an immaculate inning today. This game brought the flip side from Jeff Hicks of the Tigers. If 4 Ks is a golden sombrero, what is it called when a player strikes out 5 times?

Onward. I'll start Cardinals-Reds or Astros-Mariners before finishing at least one before the annual morning day game in Boston.

If 4 Ks is a golden sombrero, what is it called when a player strikes out 5 times?
    That's the platinum chapeau.

Astros 3, Mariners 2

1. The Astros completed a sweep in Seattle to pull even in the loss column with the Mariners, who played those extra games in Tokyo and won them both.
    2. Mitch Haniger hit his 5th homer to lead off the game, and he doubled and scored on a Santana double for a second run in the 3rd. Cole mowed the Mariners down after that, walking none and striking out double digits.
    3. The Astros put together four singles in five batters to score twice in the 6th to tie the game, and Diaz hit a homer in the 7th.
    4. That ended the scoring. Pressly was overpowering in the 8th. The Mariners were a bit unlucky in the 9th. A leadoff infield hit by Haniger was overturned on appeal when the replay showed Bregman's throw had beaten him by a microscopic amount only visible in very slow motion. Then Santana hit one into the right field stands that was about a foot foul. Santana wound up striking out, Vogelbach struck out, and that was it.

The plan is Cardinals-Reds, Mets-Braves, and the morning game. It's currently raining in Boston, so Padres-Dbacks could be substituted if the morning game is rained out.

95. Cardinals 9, Reds 5

1. The game was played in Monterrey, and hitters could get cheap home runs out to left. Ozuna had two, while Carpenter, O'Neil, Winker and Puig each had one.
    2. The first Ozuna homer was of the three run variety, and it was followed by O'Neil's solo homer. 4-0 Cardinals.
    3. That held until the 5th, when some Cardinal defensive lapses allowed an unearned run, and then Winker hit a three run shot. 4-4
    4. In the 7th, Carpenter broke the tie with his homer, followed two outs later by Ozuna's second homer. Then the wheels came off. The Cardinals loaded the bases, and then they got a bases loaded walk in front of a Martinez two run single. 9-4.
    5. Puig hit his first home run of the year for the 9-5 score, and the Cardinals get on the plane for a tough three game series in Milwaukee.

Mets-Braves will finish the Sunday games.

Quote Originally Posted by jgross68 View Post
    Big fan of the thread here. One small request, if I may: do you think you could number your game recaps? No need to retrofit the existing ones; if my accounting is correct (and there is a good chance it is not) WAS-PHI above is #64(!) Itís like Billy Chapel says: we count everything in baseball.
    RECOUNT! My Count is that it was 63....