Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Swampdragon's Marathon Baseball Extravaganza

Swampdragon's Marathon Baseball Extravaganza

About five years ago, MLB had a promotion paying a bunch of twentysomethings to sit in an apartment in Manhattan and watch all 2,430 baseball games over the course of the season. I was insanely jealous as I went to the office until I found out that these kids also did a stupid amount of tweeting and celebrity nonsense.

This season is my chance to watch a ridiculous number of baseball games. I'm retired, I have no pressing obligations, and I'm living by myself for the first time in 35 years. I've subscribed to MLB.tv, . They have a number of features that will make it easier to watch a boatload of games without knowing the results. If I'm not watching a game live, I'll be able to fast forward commercials and even skip 10 seconds ahead between pitches.

For the last two years, I've been limited to local teams and the East coast centered coverage decisions of ESPN and the MLB Network. Not any more. As ESPN begins its season telecasts with the Yankee opener against the Orioles, I'll start mine with deGrom vs. Scherzer. I hate only being familiar with the lineups of at most ten of the thirty teams, so I'm going to see them all multiple times. Until the All-Star break, I will try and fail to watch all of the divisional games (there aren't that many hours in the day), giving me an introduction to hundreds of players I barely know about. I will finally know more about current players than I do about the lineups of 1871, 1901, or 1948.

I'm going to post my random thoughts in this thread as I watch the games. Although this is really for my own benefit, I hope others will chime in (no spoilers on games I haven't watched, please). I am deliberately keeping this separate from the main MLB thread so people who don't want to read my random thoughts don't have wade through them in the main thread while looking for general news. I'm really looking forward to this.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

One thing I noticed on the MLBtv app last night while watching the Cubs and Red Sox in Arizona - which was confusing to me, but let's move on from that for now - is that you can change the audio to either the radio feed or "Park", which I think is just natural sound without announcers but I didn't try it out, so I can't be sure :shrug:. They've probably had that feature for years, but it was new to me and I like it!
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiwasusingWAYbeforeitwasmainstream: --> \_(ツ)_/

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    About five years ago, MLB had a promotion paying a bunch of twentysomethings to sit in an apartment in Manhattan and watch all 2,430 baseball games over the course of the season.
    Is it even possible to watch all those games in a year, never mind a season? By my calculation, those 2,430 games at about 3h each would take 7,290h. There are 8,760 hours in a year. That would leave 4 hours a day for sleep and everything else.
    Last edited by treedom; 03-26-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    disco!

I don't think I have that option with my Samsung. I have to take one of the game feeds. I do have the Hide Scores option turned on, so I won't get spoiled on the opening screen. I also have a clicker that will fast forward ten seconds at a time. If I'm paying attention, I can probably take 45 minutes or so off every game, particularly the between innings parts. I've also noticed that if I click that as soon as the pitcher gets the ball back during an at-bat, I miss very little and take another 10 seconds off game time. All in the service of finishing one game so I can watch the next one.

The Red Sox are on their way to Seattle. I guess they decided that going to Boston first would add a few miles to the trip.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by treedom View Post
    Is it even possible to watch all those games in a year, never mind a season? By my calculation, those 2,430 games at about 3h each would take 7,290h. There are 8,760 hours in a year. That would leave 4 hours a day for sleep and everything else.
    I realize that I have to be selective. Over the course of the season, I can probably watch 900-1000 games if I don't do anything else. I'm starting out with the divisional games to get to know all the teams, but by my calculations there are 1140 of those. I'll just have to do my best, and I'm going to watch contenders in August/September, division or not. I will watch at least one game of every divisional series. Unreachable targets don't really bother me. I will watch the Opening Day games until the Friday games start the next evening and so forth, and any I don't get to will go on an archive list for future viewing (or not) at an undetermined time. I'm also trying to get game times down to around 2:15 on the average. Maybe I'll have a ten run rule. All of these things will just have to work themselves out. We'll see just how many I manage to watch on the first weekend.

Edit: The guys MLB hired cheated. They watched multiple games at the same time, so they would really only be watching two to four games a day. I can beat that.
    Last edited by swampdragon; 03-26-2019 at 12:40 PM.

It's a commendable goal anyway!

I did a fraction of what you're planning last season. After years away from it, the baseball bug got me out of nowhere end of June. I got mlb.tv and watched some Tiger and Giants games at first. I started hitting the baseball subreddit and reading articles and just generally reimmersing myself in the baseball world. Everywhere I turned people were talking about the Braves. So around end of July or beginning of August when the Giants were starting to fall back, I put on the Braves season opener for kicks. It was such a fun game, so I when I finished watching that, I put on the next game, then the next, etc. I went through and watched every one of their 2018 games at my pace from there (I did skip the Facebook games; those are fuckin' unwatchable.) I just finished about a week ago. It was a nice ride.
    disco!

I'm already tempted to watch Verlander-Snell, divisional game or not. Since it's on the blackout list, I wouldn't be able to watch it until late Thursday or sometime Friday.

Are you planning to play any baseball computer games (or other PC games) while you watch?

I do that sometimes. I've played many a game on the computer with the TV set a few feet away. This year I probably won't. My smart tv setup is in the den, and my desktop is in my bedroom at the other end of the house where I have a much smaller set. Besides, I end up missing a lot of the real game that way. But I have played some Replay PC 2018 and 1950 during this exhibition season. My next big replay project will be Replay PC 1954 in the fall, if I don't go back to chess.

I have the toes I have hamonrye's Avatar
    I watch a lot of baseball over the course of the year. Probably about 800 games, in part at least. I even have a zany OCD system for doing it. Wanna know what it is? So glad you asked...

I watch every Met game in its entirety. I used to keep live scores off to avoid outcomes, but I've found out that knowing the score doesn't really affect my enjoyment that much. YMMV. I also follow the other NY teams (Giants, Dodgers, Yankees) during the course of the season. What that means is that I watch all of the games they win, at least in part. Those viewings usually amount to around an hour on average, as I skip around in the game and watch specific ABs and scoring sequences. That adds around 260-280 games on average to the 162 the Mets play.

Also, around August 15 each year, I start watching the teams with the 4 best records that are not on the list of teams I already follow, the same way I follow the non-Met teams in the original group. Sometimes teams drop in and out of the top 4 and I'll switch accordingly. By the end of the season, I'm following the 4 teams that went to the championship series that are not one of the original 4. If one of the original 4 make it, like the Dodgers last year, I replace them with the team with the best record that didn't make the championship series. For example, last season the 4 teams I eventually followed were Boston, Houston, Milwaukee, and Oakland. The reason that I start August 15 is that, if I play one day on the schedule like one day on the calendar, I'm usually finishing the World Series about the time that spring training is starting, so I'm watching baseball 365 days a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagrims View Post
    Are you planning to play any baseball computer games (or other PC games) while you watch?
    I usually only play OOTP while I'm watching baseball. I'm not always playing OOTP when I'm watching baseball, but I don't play unless I have baseball on in the background. I originally started doing this to avoid playing games too often. Now, it's kind of a habit.