Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: OOTP Perfect Team

Just pulled a Diamond John Smoltz

He went 9.1 scoreless innings in his first start...which we lost 1-0 in 22 innings.

I think I've pretty much reached my limit with PT. For the second straight season, I'll finish one spot out of relegation in the Diamond League, meaning another year of minimal point accumulation. I tried redirecting my points toward packs, hoping to get a Diamond that I could sell and convert into upgrades. I've purchased 6 packs today and ended up with about 3k worth of players, so a 50% loss on my investment.
    - Yeah, you know, a white guy ... mustache ... about six-foot-three.
    - Awfully big mustache.

OTBL2
    Houston Hurricane
    2022, 2024, 2025, 2027, 2029, 2030, 2032
    Continental League
    Houston Judges
    1963, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I think I've pretty much reached my limit with PT. For the second straight season, I'll finish one spot out of relegation in the Diamond League, meaning another year of minimal point accumulation. I tried redirecting my points toward packs, hoping to get a Diamond that I could sell and convert into upgrades. I've purchased 6 packs today and ended up with about 3k worth of players, so a 50% loss on my investment.
    We'll all get there eventually. I'm having a blast in the Bronze League, because my team is winning, I'm racking up points, and it's relatively easy to improve a roster that still has mostly Bronze players. If I win a playoff series, the Silver League will be harder. My team would probably lose 120 in a Diamond League, if I ever get there.

Do you think we'll be able to fold OOTP 19 teams after OOTP 20 comes out? Do teams whose owners lose interest just go on forever as zombies?
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

I'm liking the slow rise of only opening packs. I'm still in the Silver league, but have finished over .500 about 6 seasons in a row. Finally in the playoffs currently, but will need to win a round to be promoted and am already down 1-0.

Maybe getting good too fast is a bad idea, I'm stuck around .500 in Diamond forever now it seems.

You get 400 points if you have the batting champion (85 Unsung Heroes Garry Maddox for me, which is a beast of a card). Seems low.

Oh and here's the pack math, based on the odds shown being per-card upgrades. I'm assuming you get the vendor price of each rarity to represent the worst case draw of that rarity but realistically, you can add about 10% or so. I didn't for this math.

The first 5 cards in each pack is worth ~85 points each. The upgraded rarity pick for each pack is worth ~100 for the standard and ~1044 for the gold upgrade.

Worst case average pack value of a standard pack: ~526
    Worst case average pack value of a gold pack: ~1470

Moral of the story is to definitely buy the standard pack if you're buying a pack.

One thing that could drastically alter the math is if the "bonus" card has a higher chance to upgrade. I assumed no otherwise their pack odds would be false.

Math:

Standard Card
    Iron 72.23%
    Bronze 20.00%
    Silver 5.00%
    Gold 2.00%
    Diamond 0.67%
    Perfect 0.10%

Bronze Upgrade Card
    Bronze 92.23%
    Silver 5.00%
    Gold 2.00%
    Diamond 0.67%
    Perfect 0.10%

Gold Upgrade Card
    Gold 99.23%
    Diamond 0.67%
    Perfect 0.10%
    Last edited by kingcharlesxii; Yesterday at 02:11 PM.

You might be on to something about too high too fast. Won my first playoff series ever after roughly 12 or 13 tries, although probably won't get far enough to be promoted to diamond. And if I do, I think this team will have the same issue as your's and swamps.
    Montreal Royals - 1899-1912, 1915-1922
    New England Midnight Riders - 2026-2031?

Theoretically, if you open packs for a year, you'll catch up to the whales. OOTP 19 did not have Perfect Team long enough for that to happen, but OOTP 20 will. I won my first series, so I suppose my 100 win Dragons are going to the Silver League with three bronze players in the starting rotation, four more in the bullpen, and four in the starting lineup. Something tells me they won't do nearly as well. The team I'm playing in the Subleague Championship was relegated from Silver two seasons back. His bronze starters had ERAs over 6 in the Silver League. It's probably better in the long run to not be promoted the first two or three seasons, because you'll earn a lot more packs to open that way.

Edit: Markus will be missing an opportunity if he doesn't introduce a 20 season limit on player cards. Got to keep the whales spending money all year.
    Last edited by swampdragon; Yesterday at 05:42 PM.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Yeah, most other games like this have "contracts" you have to spend in order to keep using players. Either that or there's just power creep over the course of the season where the maximum rating slowly goes up each month.

Quote Originally Posted by andymac View Post
    I'm liking the slow rise of only opening packs. I'm still in the Silver league, but have finished over .500 about 6 seasons in a row. Finally in the playoffs currently, but will need to win a round to be promoted and am already down 1-0.
    Won the Division Series in 5 and then overcame a 3-1 deficit to make the final series.

If the LCS goes the distance, the last game will run at midnight. That's realism.