Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: OOTP Perfect Team

Hit the auction house for the first time, purchased C Terry Kennedy (75) and SP Patrick Corbin (89). Bumped out Gray and Mesoraco. This should be an instant improvement. Also deactivated Bader and reactivated Rickey Henderson (who has decent ratings but has played like shit for me) as my backup outfielder.

I can confirm that the MLB Live ratings really are inflated. I opened a pack this morning and was fortunate enough to get Zack Wheeler (85). While he is my Opening Day starter in a few minutes, it's not clear that his ratings are any better than Future Star A.J. Puk, who is rated at 76 and was my ace in the entry league.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Corbin should be good in Gold but he gives up too many HRs in the higher leagues. Movement is king in Diamond or higher. I've actually benched him for some much lower rated starters.

Almost every gold level Live hitter is pretty streaky in the higher levels too, contact and avoid Ks are not high enough so you get truly wild fluctuations in stats (Posey is an exception).

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I can confirm that the MLB Live ratings really are inflated. I opened a pack this morning and was fortunate enough to get Zack Wheeler (85). While he is my Opening Day starter in a few minutes, it's not clear that his ratings are any better than Future Star A.J. Puk, who is rated at 76 and was my ace in the entry league.
    Both of my teams have AJ Puk. I think he was double printed.*

* Really old and obscure baseball card reference. Back in the early 80s, Topps used to double print cards because the change in set size. Topps sets were 660 cards prior to 1979, but rose to 726 cards in the years after. Since cards were printed 132 to a sheet, Topps needed 6 separate sheets instead of the 5 they used prior. That meant they had 66 extra slots, so they just double printed 66 cards in each set**, making it twice as likely you'd get one of those players. In 1981 I had so many Steve Renko, Don Robinson, and Tim Stoddard cards but I had no idea why until years later when I learned of Topps' practice.

** Why didn't they just make the sets 792 cards and dispense of this problem? They did in 1983.
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 02-11-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

There really are some of these everyone seems to have. There are about a million bronze David Cones floating around. I'm waiting for the inevitable Cone vs Cone matchup. He's my 5th starter.

That's funny about Topps. My year to buy Topps packs was well before 1979, but I always wondered why I had so many Don McMahons.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Huh. I always figured they just printed more of the common cards and fewer of the top players. Kind of like Perfect Team, actually.
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

Latest post from 11/13/18: 9 Amazing Facts About Lions that Will Shock - I'll admit, I kind of phoned this one. But the lion facts are 100% real and the Lion King images are 100% without permission.

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    There really are some of these everyone seems to have. There are about a million bronze David Cones floating around. I'm waiting for the inevitable Cone vs Cone matchup. He's my 5th starter.

That's funny about Topps. My year to buy Topps packs was well before 1979, but I always wondered why I had so many Don McMahons.
    Prior to 1975 or so (I can't remember when, exactly), Topps released each card sheet in a "series". The first series would be released prior to opening day and then each month or so another series would be released. Kids would naturally be all over the first few series but as the season wore on, kids might have grown bored or moved on to other things. So in the early sets, you'll see far more of the first few series (cards 1-408 in the later 660 card sets) than you will the later two series, with the last series (545-660) being the most uncommon. At card shows in later years, those cards fetched more than the earlier series, even for commons. It's part of the reason the '52 Mantle is worth so much; it was released in the final series that year.

Topps later shifted to all cards being released at the same time in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimity View Post
    Huh. I always figured they just printed more of the common cards and fewer of the top players. Kind of like Perfect Team, actually.
    There were some stars that happened to get double printed by chance. Uncut sheets from that era show that Topps simply repeated the 5th row on each card sheet. Yaz was double printed in 1980, In 1979 you were twice as likely to get a Joe Morgan, Reggie Jackson or Steve Garvey, as they were all double prints. Still, it was mostly super commons that made the list. Tom House, Roger Erickson, Larry Sorenson....
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 02-11-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

You weren't kidding about the PPs slowing down. Ten games in, my team is 5-5 and has a grand total of 90 PPs so far, 70 on an Ichiro walkoff homer. I got 1000 PPs for nine hits in an inning in the entry league.

I broke my own rule, and started another team that will be strictly packs. I'm curious about how much good I did my team by spending something like 500 PPs replacing all my black holes with bronzes and low silvers. The new team has better pitching and one of the worst outfields imaginable, but I really think by the time I'm out of the entry league, it will look a lot like the other team. I suspect all I did with my tiny upgrades was make it harder for the packs to improve my club. OTOH, I certainly didn't spend all that much. Since winning doesn't matter even a little bit in the entry league, I'm going to try to train some of my players at alternate positions.

In what universe is 1908 Fred Merkle an "unsung hero"? I guess they don't have a "famous goats" category.

Just pulled a Perfect Mike Trout.

Also, finally pulled a catcher above Bronze, a Silver Francisco Cervelli.
    Last edited by matskralc; 02-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.