Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Is this dead? Looking to add another league, if so.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

I've actually been trying to think of a way to rejigger this as something with a once-weekly sim schedule. I like this little league and the concept and everything, but my life now is such that I cannot really commit to a three, or even two, times a week sim schedule. I'd be cancelling and rescheduling sims constantly. One per week, I can do. I pretty much always have Sunday morning.

Of course, running seven days a sim and one sim per week is a glacial pace, and two weeks/sim might be twice as fast but is still excruciatingly slow. But once you're simming more than a couple weeks at a time, it becomes impossible to react to injuries and waivers/DFA become kind of ridiculous.

I've been thinking of trying a Perfect Team type of thing where an entire season is simmed on Sunday 1. The free agency and amateur drafts take place during the week. On Sunday 2, the pre-season file is posted with those roster moves made and for further exports. On Sunday 3, a season is simmed, drafts that week. On Sunday 4, the pre-season file goes up, and so on.

Obviously a few changes would have to be made: injuries would have to be disabled, as would waivers/DFA. Claiming freely-available talent would have to occur in the off-season window only. There are other things I'm probably not thinking of while at my desk at work right now, too. EDIT: for example, the timing around submitting protection lists for the free agency draft might not fit the every-other-Sunday cadence. Seasons might have to be simmed every three weeks, then.

This might also help with filling teams back in with human owners from around here since it's a much lower commitment.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by matskralc; 01-15-2019 at 09:01 AM.

I would stick around though I imagine it would be less engaging. What if you simmed a month per Sunday? At least then you could monitor player performance and prospect development and make some in-season adjustments.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

I am not sure if that helps your owner situation or not. Once per week they would have a highly important need to be very involved with their team. If they are the sort of online league owner that is attracted to downloading updates and exporting 2 or 3 times per week and only getting super involved (in this case, for the amateur draft and the reserve list) once every few months) they are going to wreck their team in no time if they don't pay attention.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Yeah, I also thought of the potential for wrecking one's team if you missed a sim.

Well a high-speed schedule means injuries would have to be turned off (since there is no way to mitigate losing a starting pitcher at the beginning of a 28-day sim, even attentive teams would be unfairly wrecked by them), and injuries are probably the number one short-term way of your team getting wrecked through inattention, right? And because there are already no finances, there's no need to worry about missing out on a free agency class or neglecting to sign your own players to extensions and watching all your good players walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by matskralc View Post
    Well a high-speed schedule means injuries would have to be turned off (since there is no way to mitigate losing a starting pitcher at the beginning of a 28-day sim, even attentive teams would be unfairly wrecked by them), and injuries are probably the number one short-term way of your team getting wrecked through inattention, right? And because there are already no finances, there's no need to worry about missing out on a free agency class or neglecting to sign your own players to extensions and watching all your good players walk away.
    But you will still have the same chasing down of owners aspect you had before when you needed protected lists and draft lists but now you'd be doing it every two weeks, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    But you will still have the same chasing down of owners aspect you had before when you needed protected lists and draft lists but now you'd be doing it every two weeks, right?
    I think you're right regarding my original "a season per sim" spitball of an idea. But I think Hotblack's "a month per sim" spitball sticks on that nerd in the front row's forehead a little better:

Week 1: Spring Training
    Week 2: April, amateur draft pool revealed, picks begin in StatsLab
    Week 3: May
    Week 4: June
    Week 5: July, amateur draft conducted
    Week 6: August
    Week 7: September
    Week 8: Playoffs
    Week 9: Free agency draft lists due and pool published, draft conducted during the week
    Week 10: Free agency draft processed, advance to Spring Training
    Week 11: Spring Training

I think the amateur draft pool can be revealed 90 days in advance of the draft, right? So I think that timing works.

Yeah, that'd work. IN.

IN