Thread: 1990 MLB

1990 MLB

So, I've started a historical replay in 1990 as, of course, the Pittsburgh Pirates. I used most of the standard settings when starting a game, except I turned off coaches. I played out every single game.

• The Mets won the NL East by 5 games over us. We trailed them by 2-5 games for pretty much the last month and a half of the season, never able to close the gap. The Dodgers and Padres tied for the NL West, forcing a one-game playoff that was won 7-4 by the Dodgers, withstanding a late rally by the Padres.

• In the American League, the Blue Jays won the East by 13 over the Orioles and the Angels took the West by 16 over a three-way tie between the Athletics, Royals, and White Sox. The Angels were the majors' sole 100-game winner, with exactly that total. No team lost 100, with the Yankees' 99 being the closest total.

• The Angels won the ALCS over the Blue Jays, four games to three. Veteran Bert Blyleven earned the win in relief in Game 7 and Angels first baseman Lee Stevens took ALCS MVP honors. The Mets beat the Dodgers, also in seven games as Gregg Jefferies was named NLCS MVP.

• The Mets went on to sweep the Angels in a series that wasn't even that close. New York shut out the Angels twice and gave up only one run in each of the other games, outscoring California by a total of 24-2. Mets 3B Howard Johnson was named MVP.

• Barry Bonds entered September with 54 home runs and 155 RBI. He finished the season with 56 home runs and 169 RBI as he slumped hard, hitting .242/.371/.364 for the season's final month. His overall line was .307/.390/.638, which paired with his +24 ZR defense (for which he won a Gold Glove) made for a MLB-best 10.7 WAR. In addition, he won the NL Silver Slugger (as did teammate Wally Backman at third base) and the NL MVP. We probably win the division if he hits like normal in September. Bonds signed a 10-year contract extension worth $38.8M in May.

• Nobody else in the majors hit 50 homers. Mark McGwire's 47 was the next best mark, with only Fred McGriff (42), Kevin Maas (41), and Kevin Mitchell (41) also clearing 40.

• Kevin Maas won the AL Rookie of the Year award in a unanimous vote. His Triple Crown stats of .274/41/127 had him in the conversation for MVP, as well, where he finished 13th in voting. Pirates second baseman Carlos Garcia (.280/14/53) was named National League Rookie of the Year, beating out Dodgers shortstop Jose Offerman (.280/1/29, 24 SB).

• Chuck Finley (23-8, 2.51) took home the AL Cy Young in a unanimous vote. Roger Clemens (13-9, 2.55, a league-leading 236 strikeouts) and Randy Johnson (13-12, AL-best ERA of 2.23) were 2nd and 3rd. Dodgers starter Ramon Martinez won the NL Cy Young (unanimously) and pitching Triple Crown, leading the league with 21 wins, a 1.47 ERA, and 289 strikeouts. Expos starter Dennis Martinez (17-5, 2.34) was second and Pirates starter Doug Drabek (18-10, 2.76) placed third.

• Fred McGriff won the AL MVP award after leading the league in WAR (8.0), runs scored (113), slugging (.573), and OPS (1.003). Finley came in second, and actually received three first place votes. Bonds won the NL award with 15 first place votes, besting Ramon Martinez's 10 first place votes as well as a homer vote for Gregg Jefferies (.333/25/94, 35 SB). Doug Drabek also picked up some votes, coming in 14th.

• The Blue Jays traded away Mark Whiten and Juan Guzman to Cleveland for starter Buddy Black and catcher Jesse Levis. Black was a disaster, going 4-7 with a 6.54 ERA for the Jays. Levis saw 57 plate appearances at a line of .250/.351/.333. Whiten OPS+ed 163 in 26 games with the Indians while Guzman started starting games for their AAA affiliate.

• The Braves acquired "minor league closer" Curt Schilling from the Orioles for Oddibe McDowell. Schilling made 17 relief appearances for Atlanta, earning 2 saves and striking out 18 in 19-1/3 innings.

• At the deadline, the Astros sent Mike Scott to the Yankees for Dave Winfield. The big trade of the day happened between the Brewers and Phillies, as Milwaukee sent starter Teddy Higuera and prospect John Jaha to Philadelphia for prospects Mickey Morandini, Andy Ashby, Mike Williams, and Wes Chamberlain. The Phillies, in contention at the deadline, faded down the stretch, finishing 15 games out in fourth place.

• We finished the year in the red by nearly $8M, and are projected to lose $4.5M this season, which probably means some contracts are getting dumped this offseason. Wally Backman's $1.9M and Andy Van Slyke's $3.6M lead the list of candidates. The real-life Pirates chose to hitch their wagon to Van Slyke. I'm going with Barry.
    Last edited by matskralc; 09-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.

How many hours did it take you to replay the season? Did you play out every pitch, or use one-pitch at-bats?

I'm not sure how many hours it's taken, but I created the league two months ago. I mostly use one-pitch at-bats, but I'll switch to single-pitch when I want to use the running game (or suspect the AI will use it).

Quote Originally Posted by matskralc View Post
    I'm not sure how many hours it's taken, but I created the league two months ago. I mostly use one-pitch at-bats, but I'll switch to single-pitch when I want to use the running game (or suspect the AI will use it).
    Thanks. I'm currently playing a 1969 historical replay with actual rosters and transactions. I'm picking one game each day to manage one of the teams - typically it's a good pitching match-up or two of the better teams. I use one-pitch at-bats. Takes me about 20 minutes to get through each day, so I'll be at this a while. I'm at May 3 right now.

Looking forward to read more updates from 1991!

The Blue Jays traded away Mark Whiten and Juan Guzman to Cleveland for starter Buddy Black and catcher Jesse Levis. Black was a disaster, going 4-7 with a 6.54 ERA for the Jays. Levis saw 57 plate appearances at a line of .250/.351/.333. Whiten OPS+ed 163 in 26 games with the Indians while Guzman started starting games for their AAA affiliate.
    This universe's version of Pat Gillick isn't as good as ours it seems. Trading Whiten and Guzman would probably have raised a few eyebrows up here if I remember the 90 Jays right. At least we gave the Angels a run for their money
    Montreal Royals - 1899-1912, 1915-1922
    New England Midnight Riders - 2026-2031?