Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk 2020 Democratic Primary

Quote Originally Posted by Eck View Post
    - What's the exact cause? I usually see "eating lead paint" and "breathing the fumes of leaded gasoline." There's a big problem with the gasoline that I suspect you've already worked out. Leaded gasoline was the more common form of gasoline within my living memory. Until the mid-to-late 80s it was still available near me at most pumps (although it was honestly pretty rare starting... in the mid-80s?) So if breathing the leaded gasoline in the air causes all these lifelong problems, why isn't Gen-X just as bad off? Conversely, if taking the leaded gasoline out of the air causes immediate benefits, why are the boomers still so addled?
    On the overall question it seems like it was because there were long lags between the leaded pacifiers to the removal of lead paint and then, as you correctly said, leaded gasoline was phased out over time and lots of people's brains were poisoned by lead in the meantime. You and I as Gen Xers might indeed be fairly lead poisoned but not nearly like the Boomers were. They had an extremely high degree of exposure to lead from the time that they were babies that continued up until the mid-90's. We had a much lower exposure to lead from when we were born in the 70s up until it was totally phased out and banned when we were young adults.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Starting a new thread on this.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

So this is not very important and probably not even worth talking about but in her announcement today Klobuchar took a shot at Clinton by saying she would campaign in Wisconsin. So two things:

a) Hillary Clinton would not have won the presidency even if she won both Wisconsin and Michigan. Among Upper Midwest states it was over when she lost both Ohio and Pennsylvania and she campaigned heavily in both states. I've never understood why people harp on this.
    2. She's not competing in the Bernie Would Have Won lane, she's competing in the mainstream Democrat lane. Taking a shot at Clinton isn't going to help her with those voters.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    I agree with both your points and just wanted to point out that Bernie would, in fact, have won.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    2. She's not competing in the Bernie Would Have Won lane, she's competing in the mainstream Democrat lane. Taking a shot at Clinton isn't going to help her with those voters.
    #ImStillWithHer and yep. There's no way I'm hopping on Klobuchar's bandwagon.
    OTBL2 - Providence Grays
    MLB93 - Oakland A's

I'm on the Twitter

OTOH Warren’s speech was really good, I thought.
    2017 NFL Loser’s Pool Champion!

He’d leave little notes for himself saying ‘You are not a chicken,’ although sometimes he thought he hwas lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Eck View Post
    Then again, I have the perverse luxury of having a vote for president that doesn't count in our system.
    Precisely my situation. I'm in New York; it doesn't matter if I vote for the goddamn Rent Is Too Damn High guy, a Democrat is going to win MY state. So yeah, I can (and have) go third-party and then act like I was William Wallace or something.

I really don't know what I'd do if I lived a few hours away in PA or OH and the Dem nominee was truly unpalatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I really don't know what I'd do if I lived a few hours away in PA or OH and the Dem nominee was truly unpalatable.
    I'm in PA, I'm certainly not voting Trump, and I suspect that the Democrat is probably going to be rather unpalatable to me ​if not the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by matskralc View Post
    I'm in PA, I'm certainly not voting Trump, and I suspect that the Democrat is probably going to be rather unpalatable to me ​if not the general public.
    You mean the Democratic Party isn't going to nominate Gerard Casey*?

*I don't know if that's someone you like or not, I just did a google search for ancaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    You know, I read that the day it came out. I have literally no idea what your point is.
    me either