Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: 2018 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    You picked a very weird example to criticize Martinez. It's a game they won as underdog, and the substitution you are criticizing is a late game addition of a defender when they are leading. It's not like he started the game that way.

Also the comment about taking off a forward to add a midfielder that can defend? He did exactly that four minutes after the Vermaelen sub, by taking off Lukaku and adding Tielemans.

Are you trying to say that he got it wrong for four minutes only? If that's the case, aren't you effectively praising him for quick adjustments?
    The article makes the same point I did that putting vertonghen out wide allowed Brazil to attack more through Douglas Costa.

The sub Martinez made later when Yuri Tielemans came on for lukaku didn't nullify bringing on vermaelen and leaving vertonghen as the full back. I don't understand if these were such tactical masterpieces why Brazil dominated possession in the final 20 minutes and shots on target.

I'll agree from the outset Belgium were better than Brazil, but every one of Brazil's subs seemed to improve them. I can't say the same for Belgium.

To me Brazil was very unlucky to not draw and take that game to extra time. Courtois was amazing in the final minutes as well

Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Michael Cox of Zonal Marking fame actually thinks it's Martinez's brilliant tactics that won the Brazil game against expectations:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8436056.html

He actually addressed your points, and stated that Brazil adjusted in second half to create more threat, and Martinez only fixed it.......by the subs you criticized.
    Also sorry for disagreeing but I think meunier was more than capable in shutting down Neymar. Brazil only played better even firmino came on and they stopped trying to force the ball thru Neymar

I really don't understand why Brazil didn't use Firmino after the season he just had.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I really don't understand why Brazil didn't use Firmino after the season he just had.
    My brother kept asking the same thing. He's a scouser though.

I'm YNWA myself but it's still a real question. Jesus didn't do shit.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy