Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk pinball

Remember: the trick is to kick someone’s ass the first day, or become someone’s bitch.
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiusesometimes: --> Į\_(ツ)_/Į

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

In the pines, in the pines where the sun never shines
    About to leave for league. I've been doing visualization exercises all day and I'm feeling totally dialed in- I can see myself hitting ramp after ramp, nailing a scoop for an extra ball, and if anyone tries to talk to me saying, "I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to make enemies."

Don't wish me luck... wish them luck, they'll need it.
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

OK so what happens in the League is that you get randomly assigned to a group of 4 people, and each person gets to take turns choosing the game. After each game you get points for your rank in order of finish. I have played before on League night and seen the scores that people get, and they aren't really that good. But I got placed in a group with two 20-30 somethings that I see there all the time, and another guy in his 50s or 60s who was better than any of us and had a stance where he would dangle his back leg behind himself, which is super intimidating. The draw made me feel kind of hard done by. The first game was Ghostbusters, chosen by one of the the 20-30 somethings. I have played that game a little bit but I don't really know the rules, so I was pleased with a 3rd place finish. Then it was my turn to select the game, and of course I chose Star Trek. But I had a horrible game and ended up finishing last. I thought about calling 911 and feigning a medical emergency, but something inside told me not to do that. For some reason I also got to choose the game after that, because apparently the dangly leg guy was "guesting," whatever that means. I picked Total Nuclear Annihilation. Every one else seemed to hate that, but that's one of my favorite games and I finished first. Then it was the other 20-30 somethings turn, and he chose Star Wars, which he had told me earlier that he has in basement. Well he apparently had an even worse game than I'd had at Star Trek because I schooled everyone's asses and won that one too. And that was enough for me to finish first for the evening. Also everyone else was drinking Cokes or club sodas or whatever all night, whereas I was pretty damn drunk by the end of it, making my victory all the more sweeter. See you next week, motherfuckers.
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

Quote Originally Posted by MannyTrillo View Post
    By the way, weíre moving to our house in the suburbs in a month and to ease my suffering Iím buying a pinball machine. You can get a working machine from the 70s-80s for under $1,000, thatís what I was thinking at first. But, most pinball machines donít tend to lose value, because they arenít making new ones and people collect them. You can get a really nice one for $5-6,000, so Iím considering doing that with the idea of selling it at some point. My leading candidate is Simpsonís Pinball Party, mainly because itís one of the most complicated machines there is.
    I'm sure a lot of you doubted me but I won this one, it's the second biggest victory of my marriage after getting the cat named Mr. Friskywhiskers. After a lot of research and deliberation, I just offered someone $3250 for a 1995 Dirty Harry pinball machine in practically mint condition. I've never played it but it's supposed to be a good, difficult game, and it also features Clint Eastwood's voice saying "Go ahead, make my day" and "You feel lucky, punk?" I really hope he takes the offer.

I'm also looking at a pinball machine next from 1962 called North Star, I have an appointment to look at it Wednesday. The backglass looks like this:

A man playing a ukelele on an ice floe to impress his girl, with a walrus in the background. And here's a video of someone playing it (who has mad skills by the way, watch how they nudge the ball out of the outlane at about 0:25), the music is fake though:

[url [/url]

Asking prince for that one is priced at $975. I am super fascinated to learn about how they could make functional pinball machines that could keep score accurately with this technology.

Here's what the Dirty Harry looks like:

I gotta say this for Manny Trillo, when that dude goes, he goes hard.
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

My offer was accepted, picking up Dirty Harry in Delaware on Saturday. I'm so excited about it I would even invite LL over to play!

D00D: I hope you don't mind but I'm playing a more deluxe golf course tomorrow?
    CHICK (slightly alarmed) (then relaxed): That sounds nice. How deluxe are we talking?
    D00D: Well instead of $32 it's going to cost $55 to play.
    CHICK: Oh! Oh, that's - I'm surprised you mentioned it. Enjoy yourself, you deserve it!
    D00D: Thanks sweetie.

D00D: I, um ... you know I always loved sports board games when I was a kid. I might have ... splurged ... on a new game for the boy.
    CHICK (slightly alarmed) (then relaxed): That sounds like a lot of fun maybe. What did you get?
    D00D: Well you know the boy likes soccer, so ... I got this good-looking soccer game, I watched some videos about it on YouTube.
    CHICK: Wow!
    D00D: It's a little pricy. These games don't sell as many copies as they used to, so they have to charge more.
    CHICK: How much did it cost, I'm just curious?
    D00D: Well the basic game costs $75, but you know, that only comes with like Real Madrid and Barcelona. We watch the Premier League mostly, so ...
    CHICK: It's all right.
    D00D: It was like $125 total. But I'm sure we'll get years of satisfaction out of it. If he likes it. It's not like we have to buy new cards every year. These will hold us over.
    CHICK: It's fine!

D00D: So, uh, you know how I have really gotten into pinball lately.
    CHICK: Yeah.
    D00D: So I might have bid on a really cool pinball table from the 1970s, one of the first solid-state tables ever made. Only like 8 still in existence!
    CHICK (slightly alarmed) (then relaxed): Oh really?
    D00D: Yeah. I never played it, but it looks really cool. And they, uh, they accepted my bid.
    CHICK: You never played it?
    D00D: So you know, I may have splurged just a little on it.
    CHICK: That's ok, you're worth it my love. Just curious, how much did it cost?
    D00D: Well, with free shipping - and the guy's not charging me tax! - it comes to around $89,450.
    I need a mai tai, so f----- sci-fi. Give me the password to the f----- wifi.

If it seems extravagant to spend $3250 on a pinball machine, I do have some justifications:

1. At work I get lunch out every day, and often buy coffee instead of just making it at the office. If I stop doing those things (and I have for the past mon to make sure I can), the amount I would save would be the monthly payment on a 3 year, $5000 loan.

b) In general I don't buy much stuff and have very little desire to. I'm fine with my iPhone 6+ and $400 laptop. If you told me I could have $1,000 to spend on anything I wanted (other than pinball machines), I'd can't think of anything I'd buy. So, pinball machines really are a one-off thing that I don't mind taking out a loan for.

III. Pinball machines retain their value over time, since they only make a limited number of each one and people collect them. If I wanted or needed to, I could easily sell my Dirty Harry and not be out more than a few hundred bucks.

So if you think about it, the only thing that's silly about this is that I'm only buying one!

It doesn't seem extravagant, it seems awesome! I've always said I would get an Addam's Family machine someday. I only haven't pursued it more seriously because they are notorious for breaking down and I'm notorious for not getting broken things fixed. (I just took down the Happy Birthday! banners from my daughter's birthday this morning. Her birthday was June 11.)
    I need a mai tai, so f----- sci-fi. Give me the password to the f----- wifi.