The system works! \o/
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiusesometimes: --> \_(ツ)_/

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    There is a pinball exhibit coming to the Louisiana State Museum in Shreveport in a couple of weeks. It's supposed to feature free pinball on multiple machines. Thanks to Manny, I'll probably waste an afternoon checking it out.
    Curious use of the word "waste"!

Well, my enthusiastic pinball days were limited to the summer before I started college. Even then, I wasn't particularly good. After the intervening forty something years, I'm bound to be terrible by any objective measurement. But it still sounds like fun.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

In the pines, in the pines where the sun never shines
    There is a pinball exhibit coming to the Louisiana State Museum in Shreveport in a couple of weeks. It's supposed to feature free pinball on multiple machines. Thanks to Manny, I'll probably waste an afternoon checking it out.
    Sounds awesome- definitely report back if you go!
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

dola

Well, my enthusiastic pinball days were limited to the summer before I started college. Even then, I wasn't particularly good. After the intervening forty something years, I'm bound to be terrible by any objective measurement. But it still sounds like fun.
    When you start out, you'll probably be losing the ball quickly and seemingly arbitrarily almost every time. It's a steep learning curve though. I would suggest spending at least half an hour on one machine so that you can start to get a feel for that game.
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

trola

Also, I'm sorry that I haven't updated this thread in a while- it must really suck being kept in the dark like that. Here are a few notes:

-We are 2 weeks into the Fall season of League. I've had pretty lousy nights both times, finishing around the middle. Honestly, I think the fact that I'm now expecting to do well is putting pressure on me and throwing me off a little bit.

-Last night I pulled off the sickest move I've ever pulled off on my Dirty Harry. There's a saucer on the left side of the playfield that you hit to start a hurry-up mode. The saucer then fires the ball at high speed towards your right flipper, and you collect the hurry-up by hitting a loop that's right next to the saucer. I hit the saucer, pulled off a picture-perfect drop catch- that's where you press the flipper button before the ball gets there, and then release it at just the right time to completely deaden the momentum of the ball so that it rolls down the flipper instead of bouncing off- and then immediately hit the loop out of the drop catch to collect maximum points on the hurry up. It was sick.

-I've been spending a fair amount of time on AC/DC recently. It's a really cool game, but it might just be too damn hard to be worth getting into. It's definitely aimed at the in-home market rather than the bar and arcade market, it's too difficult and complicated to be played casually. I usually go for the multiball you get by hitting the ramps, and I've never gotten it early enough to be able to do anything after that. I'll keep at it for a little while longer, but I will probably move on to something else pretty soon.

This just opened in our 'hood, in a former music venue. I keep seeing it from the street. I wonder if it would get the Manny Seal of Approval, but I also suspect that purist flippers would find it lacking.

Of course, we have the original barcade, Ground Kontrol, which has an impressive pinball collection.

All this is to say, when are you coming to visit again?
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Damn, I never make any pinball meet-up lists.

They have some very well regarded machines in their rotation.

Their place looks a lot more slick than mine.
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 10-11-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyTrillo View Post
    -I've been spending a fair amount of time on AC/DC recently. It's a really cool game, but it might just be too damn hard to be worth getting into. It's definitely aimed at the in-home market rather than the bar and arcade market, it's too difficult and complicated to be played casually. I usually go for the multiball you get by hitting the ramps, and I've never gotten it early enough to be able to do anything after that. I'll keep at it for a little while longer, but I will probably move on to something else pretty soon.
    I think I spent some time talking about my love for AC/DC in this thread and I can't disagree with anything you said. My place just recently rotated it back out though. I'm not sure how they calculate which machines to keep. League demand, income generated, game reliability, or a mixture of all the above. Still have Aerosmith and Iron Maiden if a person needs a rock music themed game.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    Damn, I never make any pinball meet-up lists.

They have some very well regarded machines in their rotation.

Their place looks a lot more slick than mine.
    Yeah, that's a really nice selection, like LL said lots of sought after games. My question would be whether they can stay in business- pinball machines are expensive to maintain, and at least around here not that big of a draw. As you might have noticed, even at a place like Lyman's Tavern most of the patrons aren't playing pinball. The place I mostly play at is amazing, but it's basically a wealthy entrepreneur's collection that he's made open to public because he wants to, there's no way it makes any money.