Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Talk pinball

In the pines, in the pines where the sun never shines
    dola

My second night in the pinball league didn't go as well. I was matched up with one dude who was a very serious player, and a woman who was also pretty decent, though not quite as good as me. The problem was, she got to pick the game twice, and she picked these weird games- Pabst Can Crusher, which is modeled on a 1950s pinball machine, and Paragon, a 70s game that I hate. I finished last on both. Once again, I also had a horrible game on Star Trek but still finished second. My pick was Iron Maiden and I won that one, so I finished with 7 points, one ahead of the woman and several behind the serious guy.

League results count towards your International Flipper Pinball Association ranking, so I'm starting to get excited about that. The serious guy is ranked #361 in the world, while the two people I beat last week were in the 2300s and 3300s. Your ranking is based on your last 20 leagues and tournaments, so I'll need that many to have a legitimate ranking. My goal is to break into the top 2000 within the next year.
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

Quote Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
    It doesn't seem extravagant, it seems awesome! I've always said I would get an Addam's Family machine someday. I only haven't pursued it more seriously because they are notorious for breaking down and I'm notorious for not getting broken things fixed. (I just took down the Happy Birthday! banners from my daughter's birthday this morning. Her birthday was June 11.)
    I used to play that one a lot back in college. It's considered an all-time classic now, my pinball website ranks it the 10th best pinball machine ever. You'd have to spend over 6 grand to get one in good condition.
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

There's a local natural foods grocery store chain in this area, and the guy who owns it is a pinball enthusiast. They just opened up a new location about 15 minutes away from my new house in a gigantic space- so gigantic that he added a pinball room, with *29* pinball machines. I finally made it down there last night, it's amazing. Anyways they have a game there that I'd read about but never seen, that has the strangest pinball theme ever. It's a 1990 game called "Dr. Dude," the full title is "Dr. Dude and his Excellent Ray." It appears to have been designed by someone who had been kept in isolation since birth, was allowed once for a few hours during which he saw "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" and read an R. Crumb comic book, and then was put back in isolation to design a pinball machine. The basic idea is that Dr. Dude was a nerdy scientist who managed to isolate and synthesize coolness in his laboratory, transforming himself into the coolest guy in the world. To light multiball in the game, you have to hit the three "Elements of Coolness," which are the Gift of Gab, the Heart of Rock 'n' Roll, and Magnetic Personality. Then you have to get the ball into the Mixmaster to mix all those elements together. This is what the backglass looks like:

I have to play it a little more to make sure it's not too terribly boring as a game, but if not I have a pretty good idea what my second pinball machine is going to be.

Well everyone, the moment that I have long feared has finally come to pass: updated standings for the DC Pinball League have now been posted. No longer will I be able to play the role of the wide-eyed beginner who's happened to have a couple of lucky games- I'm sitting in 12th place out of 41, everyone's going to be gunning for me now. For reference, the only other first-time participant this season is in 35th, and almost everyone else I've been matched up with is in the top half of the table. From here on out, I need to be prepared for an all-out war. I can't promise that I'll win, but I can promise that no matter what I will leave it all on the table, every single week.

DO NOT CONGRATULATE UngratefulDead's Avatar
    I have some questions about the funky-dude stethoscope - how does the cassette player figure into the equation? Is it for recording, or is it just so you can listen to some rockin' tunes while pretending to check people's heartbeats?
    Last edited by UngratefulDead; Today at 08:29 PM.
    Philadelphia Red Stockings
    Transcontinental Baseball Association
    NYCL/East Champions: 1880, 1881, 1883, 1885, 1887, 1894, 1896, 1901, 1903, 1907, 1914, 1915, 1921
    Transcontinental League Champions: 1880, 1881, 1885, 1896, 1903
    Manager of the Year: 1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1887, 1892, 1903, 1905, 1907, 1921

That's DOCTOR funky-dude, thank you.
    OTBL Corp. Employee of the Month, August 2009

There are those who call me... Jim?
    SixPitchers.com |

:thatshrugsmileyiusesometimes: --> \_(ツ)_/

"In fairness, I contributed nothing of substance to this discussion."

Those are exactly the kind of questions a geek would ask