Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Talk pinball

In the pines, in the pines where the sun never shines
    I've now had my pinball machine for about 2 months. After the early issues I was having, it's been working fine for a while now. Owning a pinball machine has been different from how I expected it to be. For one thing I thought I'd be amazingly good at Dirty Harry by now, but I'm really not. It's famous for having really difficult shots, and I still can't hit them very often. Also, I was expecting that having a pinball machine in the basement would really improve my skills in general, but I don't feel like it has. I'm still improving, but I feel like I get a lot more out of playing different games at Mom's than I do out of playing at home.

Part of the problem is that I don't have the same focus when I'm playing at home, my mind will wander and I'll start thinking about other things. I realized the other day that I didn't really have a strategy for getting the extra ball, which is ridiculous- I always have a strategy for stuff like that. I think I've gotten to be a good enough player at this point that playing lazily doesn't improve my skills at all- I have to be paying attention and consciously trying to incorporate new elements into my game.

I still play every day, for probably 30-45 minutes on average. Mostly I love having a pinball machine in the basement, but part of me thinks it's not worth it since I go out to play most days anyway. I think it might be a lot more fun if I had another couple of games, so I wasn't playing the same one over and over. It's also definitely been fun to show it off when people come over, which is not something I normally care about. Lastly, I tried playing in the nude the other day, and found the experience unremarkable.
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

That last thing was bleak.
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

dola

I can't have one because it would break and I wouldn't be able to fix it, but sometimes I really, really want one of those cool old machines with the mechanical reels. My favorite one is Abra Ca Dabra, from 1975:

I've never seen exposed wood like this on the playfield of any other pinball machine:

Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyTrillo View Post
    I still play every day, for probably 30-45 minutes on average. Mostly I love having a pinball machine in the basement, but part of me thinks it's not worth it since I go out to play most days anyway. I think it might be a lot more fun if I had another couple of games, so I wasn't playing the same one over and over. It's also definitely been fun to show it off when people come over, which is not something I normally care about. Lastly, I tried playing in the nude the other day, and found the experience unremarkable.
    I always thought the best part of having your own pinball machine would be to show it off to friends who come over and either challenge them to a friendly game (clothed) or let them have a go at it (again, clothed) while you watch, beaming with pride while knowing they envy the heck out of you. It shouldn't be there to encourage your own solitude.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    I always thought the best part of having your own pinball machine would be to show it off to friends who come over and either challenge them to a friendly game (clothed) or let them have a go at it (again, clothed) while you watch, beaming with pride while knowing they envy the heck out of you. It shouldn't be there to encourage your own solitude.
    I'm with you on the clothed part, I saw no advantages at all to playing in the nude. For me though, the main reason to have a pinball machine in the basement is a deep and abiding love for pinball, so that being able to play whenever I want to is pretty awesome. Several times, I've woken up in the middle of the night and gone down to play a few games. I think it's also true that there is only so good you can get at pinball without owning a machine to practice on, and I do want to reach my ceiling.

Yesterday I achieved my proudest accomplishment as a pinball player to date... only to find that it might not have been an accomplishment at all. One of the events here is called a "selfie tournament," which is a tournament that you qualify for by playing selected games at various locations and then posting your highest score, with a selfie showing the score on the machine to verify. At Mom's, one of the games for the tournament qualifying is called Hot Tip, which is a 1960s game with the pre-digital mechanical reel scoreboard. It's a simple and kind of dumb game, but one I've found strangely enthralling and have played quite a bit. The top score anyone had posted so far was a little over 950,000, which I beat yesterday by about 20,000 points.

Now the thing is, the scoreboard only has 6 digits. If you get a million points it goes back to zero, and you wouldn't be able to verify a score above one million with a selfie. So, I thought, my score was not only the top score in qualifying, but also pretty close to the highest score you could possibly get. Fuck yeah. But then I went to post the score, and someone else had posted claiming a score of over 1,000,000. His selfie just shows the score re-set at like 30,000 points or something. He's a well-known guy and a very good player, so I'm sure they would give him the benefit of the doubt if that's not explicitly against the rules. Both of our scores still need to be confirmed by the guy who runs the tournament, so there's still a chance his score won't count. But otherwise I will have been robbed of my greatest accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyTrillo View Post
    I think I've gotten to be a good enough player at this point that playing lazily doesn't improve my skills at all-
    I think this is true of any game you want to get really good at. Once you reach a certain level, you can only get better with serious play, generally with people who are at least as good as you.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I think this is true of any game you want to get really good at. Once you reach a certain level, you can only get better with serious play, generally with people who are at least as good as you.
    Definitely. At first, every little bit helps. But then you get really good at the aspects of the game that come naturally to you. If you want to get better from there, you have to consciously work on the stuff that doesn't come naturally.

DO NOT CONGRATULATE UngratefulDead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Hell, I think it applies to almost any skill, not just games. It's really easy to plateau at the level of competence, especially if competence was something that took some work to acquire.
    Philadelphia Red Stockings
    Transcontinental Baseball Association
    NYCL/East Champions: 1880, 1881, 1883, 1885, 1887, 1894, 1896, 1901, 1903, 1907, 1914, 1915, 1921
    Transcontinental League Champions: 1880, 1881, 1885, 1896, 1903
    Manager of the Year: 1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1887, 1892, 1903, 1905, 1907, 1921