Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk pinball

In the pines, in the pines where the sun never shines
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Most importantly, how much for a rack?
    Good question, it’s 50 cents per play so presumably 2 bucks gets you 5 credits.

Here’s some more of the invented pinball terminology I use when I’m talking to myself in my head:

Balling out: playing pinball. The actual term is “pinning,” which of course is stupid so I don’t use it.
    Knock: replay. Usages include “I knocked it” or “Manny is so good that when he balls out it’s like knock, knock, knock”
    Mushy: requiring an easy to achieve score for a replay and/or giving out a lot of matches
    Sleazy: when a lock shoots the ball out in between the flippers or close to it
    Rattle: to get a positive outcome from shaking the machine
    Clunk: shaking the machine in a way that doesn’t do any good, someone who does this a lot is “clunky”
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

I'm struggling with my pinball terminology- some of my terms aren't really sticking, and there are a bunch of situations that need a term but I can't think of a good one. So I'm accepting nominations from you fubes. Here's where we're at:

Hit a rack: put $2 in the machine to take advantage of the Super Value (5 credits on a 50 cent machine, 3 credits on a 75 cent machine). I don't like this one anymore, the term should have something to do with the number 2 or the words Super Value.

Balling out, to flip: playing pinball. Note that the word "flipping" or "flipped" cannot be used in this context, only "flip," e.g. "I'm going to go flip," "how did you flip?" etc.

Pop off: to get a replay. "I couldn't flip for shit last night, it took me like five games to pop off."

Knocking: to play particularly well, as in getting a lot of replays

Loose: describes a machine that requires an easy to achieve score for a replay and/or gives out a lot of matches

Jacked up: describes a machine that requires a high score for a replay, or when the required score for subsequent replays has been increased by someone getting a replay ("Don't play Simpsons, that guy just jacked it up").

Sleazy: when a lock shoots the ball out in between the flippers or close to it

Rattle: to get a positive outcome from shaking the machine

Clunk: shaking the machine in a way that doesn’t do any good, someone who does this a lot is “clunky”

Statue: someone who stands completely still while playing

Here's what we need:

Someone who has particularly expressive body language while playing
    Someone who shows a lot of anger when they lose a ball
    Playing particularly poorly
    Losing your last ball with extra ball or multiball lit
    Losing a ball that you could have saved
    Losing a ball that you couldn't have saved
    Founder, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer: Top #1 Aces Posting Club (not affiliated with A-1 Aces Posting Club)

Someone who has particularly expressive body language while playing - Flopper - "When he flips, he sure does flop."
    Someone who shows a lot of anger when they lose a ball - (going) Ballzando - This one is cribbed from my drumline days where it was used as a volume dynamic, but I feel it fits here. "Man, he's really going Ballzando over that loss."
    Playing particularly poorly - shitting the tables - Pinball variant on the classic.

I will mull over the other three as I put the children to bed.
    -Jeff
    "Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
    CL: New Orleans Crescents

DO NOT CONGRATULATE UngratefulDead's Avatar
    Losing a ball that you could have saved - "a Francisco Franco" (or a Tre Cool, but that name just sounds so positive for something negative)
    Losing a ball that you couldn't have saved - "a John Kruk"
    Last edited by UngratefulDead; 05-15-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    Philadelphia Red Stockings
    Transcontinental Baseball Association
    NYCL/East Champions: 1880, 1881, 1883, 1885, 1887, 1894, 1896, 1901, 1903, 1907, 1914, 1915, 1921
    Transcontinental League Champions: 1880, 1881, 1885, 1896, 1903
    Manager of the Year: 1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1887, 1892, 1903, 1905, 1907, 1921

I was gonna go with Tom Green, but verb form. "Addams Family just Tom Greened me!"
    -Jeff
    "Bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
    CL: New Orleans Crescents

Someone who has particularly expressive body language while playing - a jumper, "Todd isn't normally a jumper, but he's jumpy af tonight."
    Someone who shows a lot of anger when they lose a ball - a popper, "Did you see Eleanor poppin' off at Indiana Jones?" "Yeah, she's a notorious popper."
    Playing particularly poorly - to be stuffed, stuffing it, "I don't normally pop like that, but I was fucking stuffing it tonight." "You going home early, Mario?" "Yeah, I've been stuffed all night."
    Losing your last ball with extra ball or multiball lit - to chuck, with the ball itself known as a chuck. "Everything was going alright, but I chucked it." "There's nothing worse than a goddamn chuck."
    Losing a ball that you could have saved - janking, "I don't know what's gotten into Bernice, but she was janking left and right. She even janked the chuck."
    Losing a ball that you couldn't have saved - gonzo, "What could I do? That chuck was gonzo."
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

I’m still thinking about some of these but “chuck” is absolutely perfect for losing a ball that you couldn’t have saved. Just now I was close to popping it off on my third ball and I said out loud to the machine, “don’t you dare chuck me again!”

A machine or an evening can be “chucky,” and when a machine unfairly chucks you it’s a “cheap chuck” or an “auto chuck.” Priceless.

Shit, that was a major oversight that popper and poppin' off are already in the lingo. By alternate suggestion for Someone who shows a lot of anger when they lose a ball is a mangler. "Yolanda was mangling like crazy last night, and they weren't even cheap chucks." "Yeah, dude, Yolanda is a known mangler. I think she's having problems at her job."
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    What terminology do you use for a small child who squeezes into the space between your machine and the one next to you and uses his overhanging curious head to momentarily block you view of the ball?

Major accomplishment guys- just got my first replay off of a replay! That’s a big deal because once you get a replay, the score you need for another one goes way up. I’m going to have to cut my pinball breaks at work to one a day, it just took me more than half an hour to play that rack of three credits.