Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Devil Rays

upd8: we won the next game too! We're over .500!
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

We finish up May at 25-29, 12.5 back of the Yankees in the East and 9 back in 6th place for the wildcard. Sheff broke out with an even 1.000 OPS this month while hitting six homers, bringing his season line to .247/.386/.433. Getting a lot of interest on the trade market for him but not much by way of prospects. He'll be 30 next year so I really should thinking about flipping him if I can get younger. I have an interesting offer from the Dodgers for the just-26 Darren Dreifort and 23-year-old Roger Cedeno. Dreifort is underdeveloped but young enough that he might fill out, and he has starter stuff and stamina. His movement and control are both at 45 but with lots of room to grow. Cedeno might actually be the bigger get in the deal, at 23 years old with 65 contact, 60 eye, good speed and defense. They both have two years experience so they're not quite as young as I'd like and they'll get more expensive quickly, but it's something to ponder. I'll probably wait until closer to the deadline to see if Dreifort progresses at all.

Aurilia had a rough May with a .618 OPS and is down to .809 on the season. JT Snow keeps getting better, posting a 4-digit OPS this month and is at .974 and tied for the team lead with 8 homers.

I'd absolutely take that deal ten times out of ten.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

The trade deadline has come and gone and we made several deals to reshape our roster. We have been over .500 in every month but April, sitting at 55-53 entering August. I tried to walk the line between selling and staying competitive, though we're 17.5 back in the East and 9 back of the wildcard but in third place there. My trades tended to complement each other so that we didn't leave a position newly exposed, though we've definitely downgraded our rotation a bit while upgrading our bullpen.

First we pulled the trigger on Sheffield to the Dodgers, sending them Bob Wickman and Miguel Batista along with him to get Dreifort, Roger Cedeno, and Antonio Osuna. Sheff had been OPSing .798 while playing an average second base, but with him closing in on 30, I figured it was time to sell high. Wickman had a 3.19 ERA but only 6.6 K/9 and is also closer to 30 than 29. Batista's movement and control have ticked up by 5 each since I drafted him but he's 27 1/2 and still just 50/45/50 and heading into his arbitration years. He had a 4.29 ERA and 4.88 FIP with a high homer rate and I don't see him improving any more than he has. Dreifort had a 3.15 ERA and 7 K/9 out of the bullpen and is just 26y90d old so his 50/45/45 ratings could still fill out his 65/70/60 potentials somewhat. Cedeno had a .401/.412 OBP/SLG with LA, 65/50/40/60/50 ratings and is only 23, though he'll be arbitration-eligible this offseason. Osuna might be my favorite part of this deal, with 70/45/50 ratings and a 55 movement potential. He had 9.7 K/9 with LA but walked a batter every other inning, but he's a huge live arm to put at the back of our bullpen.

Then we picked up another reliever for spare parts, landing Jim Stoops from the Giants for 28-year-old Pedro Castellano, a corner infielder with 50 hitting ratings across the board, and 17-year-old non-prospect Darwin Marrero. Stoops is a bit of lottery ticket at a month past 26 with 65/45/35 ratings but 80/60/45 potentials. I don't expect him to reach them but like Dreifort, he could land somewhere in between.

The next day I agonized over letting 24-year-old Eli Marrero go with his 55 power and .869 OPS in 153 PA, but he has 40 contact and 35 eye and Posada (.938) is entrenched as the starter and he'll probably never be as valuable as he is right now. He's the only guy I'd part with whom the Yankees would take for a pitching prospect I'd never heard of until they offered him up in negotiations for another player and I wanted to see what else they'd take for him. The pitcher is Ray Ricken, who never reached the majors in reality but had some decent peripherals in the minors and 60/50/45 potentials with three solid pitches. He's at 45/40/35 now so he's got some more time to spend in the minors but he's a 3-star prospect and a guy to watch for the future.

The Sheffield trade opened up second base and we found a perfect match on a replacement, nabbing 25-year-old Scott :spezio: from Oakland along with SP Jimmy Haynes for El Duque, Bret Boone (29, impending free agent, .559 OPS), Steve Cox (23-year-old 1.5-star 1B prospect), and 250 g's. Spezio has fully developed 50/60/55/55/55 ratings, can play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd well, and has a decent .693 OPS that could probably improve. Duque had a 4.29 FIP and 1.8 WAR so I gave up some real value, but he's about to turn 33 and Spezio's a nice piece to build around. I'd have liked to get more for him but I'd have taken Spezio over Hernandez if they were both available in the draft and I didn't want to run the risk of him getting injured or declining. Haynes is about to turn 26 and is at 50/40/35 vs 50/55/45 potentials with good stamina and could be a back-end starter if he finishes developing. I'm sending him to AAA for now and putting Joe Roa (4.46 ERA in relief) in his spot for the time being.

And so here is our roster heading into the final third of the season.

Rotation:
    Helling (4.78 ERA)
    Dreifort
    Roa
    Ankiel (3.70 ERA, 10.8 K/9, 4.6 BB/9, 0.8 HR/9)
    Cooke (5.13 ERA)

Bullpen:
    CL Osuna
    SU Stoops
    MR Lopez, Gagne
    LR Daal, Trey Moore

Lineup:
    C Posada
    1B Snow (.823 OPS, 12 HR)
    2B Spezio
    3B Willie Greene (.722 OPS)
    SS Aurilia (.761 OPS)
    LF Cedeno
    CF Dunwoody (.790)/Payton (.654)
    RF Everett (.704)
    DH Millar (.815 OPS, team-high 17 HR)

Bench:
    OF Midre Cummings (.658)
    IF/OF Eric Owens (.632)
    SS Rey Ordonez (just promoted, .721 and 7.4 ZR in AAA)
    C Einar Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by jgross68 View Post
    Mel will be thrilled with this unless you screw up Kieschnick's career, in which case you will have earned Mel's undying enmity.

Unfortunately Hotblack disabled two-way players.
    2017 NFL Loserís Pool Champion!

If this is Paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower.

Keish Kiech Brooks sucks in this game anyway. He's a no-way player.