Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OOTP 19

thanks!

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Sometimes it's the little things in OOTP. I'm playing a 2018 solo league as the Angels, and just before the All-Star break they're doing about as well as in reality - a couple games over .500, a couple games out of the playoffs if they started today. Meanwhile, the Dodgers are relatively healthy and tearing up the NL West. I headed into my annual series with them, and saw that I was set to face Kershaw twice in a week - first in Anaheim, then at Dodger Stadium. Kershaw was 11-0 and absolutely tearing up the league going into the game. So in the first game, we got to him early and often. The first three batters of the game got a single, a triple, then a home run. He gave up seven runs in 3 2/3 and then we knocked him out. First loss of the season.

Then at Dodger Stadium, he and Ohtani were matched up. It was a 1-1 pitcher's duel in the sixth inning when Adam Lind (yeah, Pujols is permanently on the bench) hit a home run to give us a 2-1 lead and chase Kershaw. That was all Ohtani needed, as he got a complete game in the 3-1 victory. So now, one week later, Kershaw is 11-2 for the season. I fucking love this game.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    I love a world where Kershaw is 11-2 this year even if both losses are to the goddamn Angels

Random OOTP question, but was there ever a version of OOTP where you could play as an individual player throughout their playing career? Like an RPG, where your player was your character and you could buy things like bats, and cleats, and skill points. It would have been early on like 2003-4 and I think it may have been released as a stand-alone alongside one of the OOTP versions. I'm sure I'm not making this up.

EDIT: Yes, it was called Inside the Park Baseball and it came out the same year as OOTP5. I remember it being pretty fun but kind of extraneous, it ended up being just a one-year experiment. Anyone else remember that game?
    Last edited by Zacto; 06-09-2018 at 03:26 AM.
    frmrly chipperjones10 of OTBL fame.

Remember that it existed but I never played it.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    You fubes that play solo OOTP - I have a question for you. In my solo rating-off league I have to rely on minor league stats and scouting reports, which can get difficult when some of these scouting reports don't make any sense. Not that they're wrong sometimes, which is fine, but that they literally make no sense.

In particular, I'm curious what it means when the scout says "there is some uncertainty about whether X is a finished product." Does that mean that in the scout's estimation the player is already at his potential ceiling and I shouldn't expect more development?
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

That's how I've always taken it.
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

Yeah, same, although when it comes to potentials I pay more attention to how old a player is and how he's hitting in his league right now. As I'm sure you're aware, very rarely do you see guys older than 25 get big actual ratings boosts regardless of what their potential is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlock Treatment podcast, Episode 73
    There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a bitch.

So I recently got v19 and have played out a few games. The animations are cool. It's great to get a visual of where the ball goes and see the plays being made. But a weird thing has happened to me a couple times. The first time with bases loaded the second time with runners at 1st and 2nd, both times with two outs. The ball was hit sharply towards third, with the fielder picking it up right by the bag. Instead of stepping on the friggin' base for the force out, which he seemed to have plenty of time for, he threw it to first and both times the first baseman dropped it. The first time it happened I thought, ok, maybe bonehead plays are coded in there which is cool I guess, but after seeing this twice in about half a dozen games, it's kind of weird.
    disco!

The animation just depicts the same stuff that the text does. This isn't a physics based thing, it's just Microleague Baseball. And of course it's brand new so you're going to see some weirdness. They did get rid of the super slow throws resulting in infield hits, so that's a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlock Treatment podcast, Episode 73
    There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a bitch.