Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OOTP 19

Okay gotcha. I just played out another game since posting that, and definitely saw plenty of weirdness. I saw the pitcher get to a ball real quick then not throw for a very long time, with the batter ending up safe, so it looks like slow throws are still a thing. (Maybe the ball was stuck in his glove?) I also saw a ball get past the second baseman and roll out into RF with the second baseman chasing it out there and the RF not even moving, even though the ball was eventually picked up right in front of him.
    disco!

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    So do any of you guys play OOTP with the sound on? I never have before this version, but it feels right together with the 3D games. It's mostly decent, but sometimes hilariously bad. Like, the volume will be way off on certain things so it will go from the very quiet crack of the bat to a BLARING BURST OF RALLY MUSIC. My favorite, though, is something I think of as "The Serial Killer." I'm not sure what it's keyed to - it typically comes later in the game, but it's not keyed to anything obvious I've figured out. It's just a weird, out-of-place guitar riff together with some kind of weird maniacal laughter. It's very loud, very strange and very memorable. I'd really love to know what they were going for.

It's weird to me that OOTP, for all its sophistication, is still behind late 90s baseball sims when it comes to audio. Like, is there some reason we can't just have a basic announcer voice calling the game? LaRussa Baseball managed it a long, long time ago.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

The answer is obvious. Markus always gets excited about adding shit and then half-asses it. Then it takes literally years of people harping on it to fix it.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Eck View Post
    So do any of you guys play OOTP with the sound on? I never have before this version, but it feels right together with the 3D games. It's mostly decent, but sometimes hilariously bad. Like, the volume will be way off on certain things so it will go from the very quiet crack of the bat to a BLARING BURST OF RALLY MUSIC. My favorite, though, is something I think of as "The Serial Killer." I'm not sure what it's keyed to - it typically comes later in the game, but it's not keyed to anything obvious I've figured out. It's just a weird, out-of-place guitar riff together with some kind of weird maniacal laughter. It's very loud, very strange and very memorable. I'd really love to know what they were going for.

It's weird to me that OOTP, for all its sophistication, is still behind late 90s baseball sims when it comes to audio. Like, is there some reason we can't just have a basic announcer voice calling the game? LaRussa Baseball managed it a long, long time ago.
    TBH I had Ernie Harwell's Broadcast Blast, which used APBA as its game engine. It was a really great game, but - and I feel like a philistine even saying this - I wound up turning good old Mr. Harwell off. After a while, no matter how large of a database of sounds you have, the audio's going to start to sound repetitive if you're playing out your games.

The bit of audio that drives me up the f'ing wall in OOTP is the "no way" guy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlock Treatment podcast, Episode 73
    There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a bitch.

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
    TBH I had Ernie Harwell's Broadcast Blast, which used APBA as its game engine. It was a really great game, but - and I feel like a philistine even saying this - I wound up turning good old Mr. Harwell off. After a while, no matter how large of a database of sounds you have, the audio's going to start to sound repetitive if you're playing out your games.

The bit of audio that drives me up the f'ing wall in OOTP is the "no way" guy...
    The "no way" guy is pretty bad, especially because half the time when you're hearing it, it means your team is falling apart. But you have to know the serial killer guitar riff sound effect, right? Because of it, I learned the hard way not to play OOTP with the sound on with headphones. During one of our interviews in the podcast I was quietly finishing up a game that had been sitting in a background window so I could close the damn game. I'm paying about 80% attention to the interview, about 20% to just getting the game done quickly and RIFFFFF HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING
    Not to act is to act.

lol I didn't even notice that but now I'm going to pay very close attention to your track.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Not to act is to act.

This is definitely a good development. If I pick up the serial killer song on your track I'm going to boost it like crazy because of course I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Eck View Post
    The "no way" guy is pretty bad, especially because half the time when you're hearing it, it means your team is falling apart. But you have to know the serial killer guitar riff sound effect, right? Because of it, I learned the hard way not to play OOTP with the sound on with headphones. During one of our interviews in the podcast I was quietly finishing up a game that had been sitting in a background window so I could close the damn game. I'm paying about 80% attention to the interview, about 20% to just getting the game done quickly and RIFFFFF HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING
    TBH the rock thing makes me semi laugh because it reminds me of all the generic rock stings we had when i was the "studio coordinator" for the Seahawks back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlock Treatment podcast, Episode 73
    There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a bitch.

Seems like a "studio coordinator" is more of an arena/basketball thing. Too bad Seattle hasn't had any NBA teams.
    So where's all the mad rappers at? It's like a jungle in this habitat.

Carolina Hawks, OTBL

Soxwin champs 2022, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by attackemu
    You're making it, man.