Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: OOTP 19

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Question for any of you who play solo OOTP: how much do you trust minor league stats vs. scouting reports? (I'm assuming you play ratings-off; if not, solo OOTP seems like it'd only be a challenge if you wanted to shoot for 130 wins per year.) I'm about to head into the 2019 All-Star break of my modern roster Angels save, and I'm locked in a battle for the division with the Astros. I had a guy who was previously a non-prospect start putting up video game numbers in AAA. (Brennon Lund, who is a real player, and also kind of a non-prospect.)

Here's what he's done:

2016, age 21:

.271/.316/.359 in low A ball

2017, age 22:

.306/.400/.428 in low A, then promoted to high A
    .321/.385/.423 in high A, then promoted to AA
    .287/.310/.336 in AA

2018 (start of sim), age 23:

.235/.318/.321 in AA

2019, age 24:

.292/.348/.443 in AA, then promoted to AAA
    .400/.422/.705 in AAA

Those AAA numbers are in 112 plate appearances. He has a 177 OPS+, so it's not just a PCL park weirdness. As it happened, I had a minor injury on my big league club so I promoted him. In 73 big-league PA, he is hitting .328/.384/.433. So the question is, what the hell do I do with him? Do I dump someone else to keep him on the roster? Thank my lucky stars that I got the benefit of some fluky hot hitting and demote him? Something in between?

The scouts see him as an "isn't projected to be an effective contributor" guy - average contact, above average speed, not much power.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.

I mean, ride that shit out until he falls back to earth. And if he never does, you got yourself Charlie Blackmon.
    I understand that and fully understand that and I think we had a previous President who did not understand that but I understand that and we have spoken about this before.

Please note this post was made by the 2012 NFL Losers Pool Champion.

Generally, I trust the stats much more than the scout. Sometimes I end up with a LEGENDARY scout at evaluating minor league talent so I will lean on the scouting reports a bit more, and I also tend to do so during the first quarter of the season, but for the most part the stats drive my promotion/demotion decisions.

Yeah I always trust the stats. Sometimes even guys with bad ratings with put up huge numbers and then a big ratings boost will follow after. So when I do play with ratings off, I'll always trust the stats until they start to drop off. You can usually make a good educated guess where he should be after a few weeks to a month.

Side note: I still really dislike the scouting system in OOTP unless I force myself to only use really terrible scouts and then I pretty much just rely on stats anyway.

(Disclaimer: This post is one half "check out my setup!" and one half "is this a bug?")

For the last two weeks or so I've been really into this latest setup I've got going. It's a two-division, six-team league set in 1946 with full financials at 1946 dollars, but with 1985 stats/strategy settings. All teams are run by the AI, and I just spectate. Sometimes I play out games if there's a good pitching match-up or a situation I'm interested in, and otherwise I just go through the box scores.

My divisions are:
    East: Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Athletics,
    West: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, Detroit Tigers

I'm at the half-way mark of the first season, and it's great. I pretty much know all the positional starters, rotations and closers of every team by name. I know how old they are, how good they are, whether they've been injured, slumping, etc. This was my goal, being familiar with pretty much every player of note, and it's why I kept the league so small. I am thinking of expanding to 8 teams though--bringing in Baltimore Orioles and either Pittsburgh Pirates or St Louis Cardinals--just to make the divisional races a bit better. Right now in the East division the A's are so good that they're 15 ahead of the other two in beginning of July. An the other division has all three teams bunched up around .500 within 2 games of each other. The only (slight) downside is that, as I'm really close to the AI's decisions, I'm noticing some, uhh, questionable strategies wrt how it rests guys and the traffic between ML and AAA. Ah well.

Something kind of weird just happened though, and I'm not sure whether it's a bug or what. I noticed that the ace of the A's started being pulled out very early every game at one point. It happened 3 starts straight. The first game it happened, he got pulled out after 1 inning of work. He only had one hit with no runs, so it's not like he got shelled. I thought it was a fluke or that maybe he wasn't rested enough. The next game he put in 3 innings with a couple hits and 1 run before being pulled out, and then 1 perfect inning the third game. His stamina is 9 out of 10, he isn't injured (I looked in the editor to make sure re. the injuries), so I was scratching my head. Then I found that in the individual player strategy he was limited to 9 pitches. I *know* I didn't change that, so either the AI did it for whatever stupid reason or there maybe was some load/save issue where something got corrupted? Not sure. Has anyone else seen this issue?
    Last edited by treedom; 07-19-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    disco!

Works on my machine.
    This is not my new signature.

I can't tell you how many great game franchises have been ruined by "seeking the wider audience." My favorite games have always catered to a niche market, whether sports, war games, or rpgs. Selling to a larger company or changing the game to appeal to the kids has always ruined it for the original players. Now it's OOTP's turn. Maybe Markus will be the first one to get it right, maintain the focus on the underlying engine, and improve things for everyone. Or maybe Perfect Team will bomb and threaten the viability of the company. Or maybe the rules of OOTP will have to be dumbed down so that the kids can play. Maybe we'll even get to control the batters ourselves! I doubt I'll be participating in the microtransactions, in the unlikely event I give this a try.

I need to hear from someone with positive thoughts about Perfect Team.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

Personally I'm not too concerned. OOTP in its current state is pretty much all I could ever want in a baseball sim, minus some QoL stuff (like fuckin keyboard shortcuts, Markus.) So if OOTP takes a dive in quality...oh well. It was a nice run and my copy of OOTP 19 will get A LOT of mileage.
    disco!

I'm okay if OOTP goes in a different direction, down a path in which I have little interest. OOTP 19 is all I would need going forward.

Some Freakish Man-Shark
    Yep, OOTP 19 is good enough to last for ten years if need be.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless.
    Not to speak is to speak.
    Not to act is to act.