Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1963 Season

I have become very frustrated with this league. First, Kaline gets injured for the entire season, and now, at the end of the season I have 10 potential major league free agents. Three of them are asking for 10x their current salary, and the other seven refuse to even talk to me.

There will be lots of opportunities to rebuild rosters. There are tons of free agents as well as the rule 5 and amateur drafts. Extension demands seem to be a little crazy every year, probably because they're looking for major league contracts. Ideally, the talent level of this league increases quickly enough that it doesn't make sense to retain all but the best free agents. I let a lot of people go myself who were eligible for automatic renewal because I hope to do better than them and want to save the money.

FYI, I converted last night and I also realigned the league into two divisions, with the top three teams in each division making the playoffs and the division champions getting a first-round bye. I briefly browsed through the free agents and while Hank Aaron might be out of reach, there are some pretty reasonable demands out there for some good players. I'll be home all evening today for the first time in several days so I'm going to finish getting things set up and make sure everything seems to be working properly. I'll hopefully have something to post by bedtime.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

The first three year of this league have been interesting from a financial perspective, to say the least. In Houston itís been a complete roller coaster.

In Year 1, I signed all of my key young players to extensions at then-market rates.

In Year 2, it looked like a huge mistake and really handcuffed the franchise. There were ample players available from MLB via free agency, waivers and the Rule 5, which is how expansion teams like Atlanta & Montreal were able to immediately build competitive teams. Unfortunately for me, the Judges were completely capped out and unable to add even a minimum salary.

In Year 3, Houston kept the same salary burden while the leagueís revenues nearly tripled. So now we have a ton of room to sign talented MLB expats, but the contract demands are so high that Iím still hesitant to add a big-name player. Thereís a ton of risk in one player taking up a quarter or more of a teamís payroll.
    - Yeah, you know, a white guy ... mustache ... about six-foot-three.
    - Awfully big mustache.

OTBL2
    Houston Hurricane
    2022, 2024, 2025, 2027, 2029, 2030, 2032
    Continental League
    Houston Judges

Tried doing a test sim last night and the league was running incredibly slowly. I've been playing OOTP 19 solo for a while and never had a problem, and the league runs very quickly in 18. I'm gonna try a few things but probably won't have time tonight.

Still trying to figure out what's making it run so damn slowly. I'll try some more troubleshooting tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Thereís a ton of risk in one player taking up a quarter or more of a teamís payroll.
    How about 60% of a teamís payroll???

I simply could not resist adding a 29-year-old Hank Aaron to the middle of a lineup that ranked first in OPS and third in runs scored in 1963. The top half of the lineup should be formidable in 64.

1. SS Woody Woodward - .374/.432/.474, 6.6 WAR
    2. RF Bob Burda - .326/.447/.473, 6.4 WAR
    3. C John Bateman - .376/.424/.570, 7.8 WAR
    4. LF Henry Aaron
    5. 2B Leo Burke - .329/.381/.545, 5.8 WAR

With several hundred k in salary set to roll off the payroll next year (including two-time CL Pitcher of the Year Hal Kolstad), this was as good a time as any to snag a player as expensive as the Hammer.
    Last edited by Hammer; 06-29-2018 at 03:02 PM.

The Judges added another cog to its offense, signing 1961 MVP SS Don Wert via free agency. With defensive whiz SS Woody Woodward entrenched at shortstop, Wert will slide over to third base, sending incumbent 3B Earl Robinson to the bench. Wert has averaged 6 WAR per season, compared to 3 for Robinson, so it should represent an additional upside to the Houston attack.