Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2030 Hall of Fame Voting

I'm with Hammer. Limiting my vote to just ten guys was really hard. There are a lot of deserving candidates right now. I couldn't even make any blatantly homer picks!
    Blog is back. Get it while it still exists!

Latest post from 9/11/18: Flo Rida + The Machine. Now What? - I was recently awakened in the night with the thought of Flo Rida + The Machine. As near as I can tell, that's not on the internet at all. So what do I do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    You guys are some cold-hearted voters, man. I used all ten of my votes and would have probably used five more.

- Alfred Sexton has the most WAR of any 2B in league history
    - T-Mac had some relatively poor rate stats, but dude hit 600 HR and approached 2,000 RBI
    - Only 9 pitchers in OTBL history have eclipsed 60 WAR ... Capstick, Carter and Colbert are three of them
    - I really wanted to vote for Dan Baldwin, as he was the best hitter in league history ... I would have if I had room but he only played 6 seasons before Memphis got flushed
    - John Murphy gets lost with this stacked class ... like Baldwin a 2-time Zaki winner and he put in 9 seasons before injuries ended his career quickly
    - Jesus Yan is the best closer in league history ... which has to mean something, doesn't it?
    - Sorry Henry Richardson & O-Flo ... I voted for you as many times as I could, but you're both screwed now
    - Sexton is a Large-Hall guy and I probably could be convinced to vote for him next season. He's like a slower Craig Biggio who played four fewer seasons' worth of games.
    - I voted for MacLeverty.
    - I voted for Colbert. Carter was close, Capstick was not.
    - Re: Baldwin - I can't vote for someone who has such a low number of seasons in the league, unless they didn't make it to the big leagues until they were older (due to integration or it being the first years of the league).
    - John Murphy is similar to Baldwin. He had six good seasons, which just isn't enough unfortunately.
    - Jesus Yan was a very good closer, but HOF-worthy? I don't see it. I am curious why he flamed out in his early 30s - was it due to injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagrims View Post
    - Sexton is a Large-Hall guy and I probably could be convinced to vote for him next season. He's like a slower Craig Biggio who played four fewer seasons' worth of games.
    - I voted for MacLeverty.
    - I voted for Colbert. Carter was close, Capstick was not.
    - Re: Baldwin - I can't vote for someone who has such a low number of seasons in the league, unless they didn't make it to the big leagues until they were older (due to integration or it being the first years of the league).
    - John Murphy is similar to Baldwin. He had six good seasons, which just isn't enough unfortunately.
    - Jesus Yan was a very good closer, but HOF-worthy? I don't see it. I am curious why he flamed out in his early 30s - was it due to injury?
    All fair points. I didn't vote for Baldwin, Murphy or Yan but probably would have (and Antonio Cisneros maybe) given a smaller deserving class. Maybe Andrew Rhodes has a better case for being the first closer in than Yan does.

- I think you're selling Sexton short with your analogy to Biggio. Offensively it's pretty apt but Sexton was still a GG-caliber fielder to the end of his career, while Biggio was an awful defender the last few years. His 8 Skipaways are the second-most ever. I also think that positional value is important and Sexton was the best player ever at his position IMO via his combination of performance and longevity.
    - Baldwin's franchise was banished from the league, along with a few others, at the height of his domination. I'm with you that 6 seasons is not enough, but I don't see the difference in that circumstance and the ones you cited. This was probably before you joined the league.
    - Murphy's right on the borderline, I think. He had 6 seasons with an OPS >.900 and 2 more with an OPS >.800, with 2 Zaki Awards and four Skipaways at two different positions. IMO the awards set him apart enough to justify a vote in a less crowded year.

I'm also surprised that Emilio Morales isn't getting more love. I came to the conclusion last year that 50 WAR is the cut-off for a no-brainer vote for a hitter, but that is apparently not the case. Sexton has 59, BTW.
    Last edited by Hammer; 03-12-2018 at 04:57 PM.

If we're talking future HOF getting cut off due to injury, Pablo Jimenez is the poster child.

Nothing else has ever made me come so close to swearing off OOTP forever.