Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season

With starting second baseman Chase Armstrong out for 6 weeks with a fractured cheekbone, the Houston Outlaws have called up 22 year old shortstop Vince Anderson. Anderson was the team's 2nd round selection in the OWL's first ever draft of amateur talent. His glove skills are sublime and Anderson's hitting has been surprising good at both the Class A level (108 OPS+) and at AAA (122 OPS+). Circumstance may have forced the club's hand in bringing the greenhorn up a bit ahead of schedule, but even if he finds major league pitching a bit overwhelming, Jimmy is sure to delight Outlaws faithful with his glove wizardry. He'll be playing a utility role backing up 2B-3B-SS until Armstrong's return. According to StatsLab, Vince Anderson is the first member of the class of 2017 to earn the call to the big leagues.
    Last edited by darkhorse; 02-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.

How do you turn a 5 game lead into a 2 game deficit in the space of two weeks? How about a 2-11 sim?

Catastrophe.

WE're.....in.....first.....

A team I manage is in....first

Are those chest pains?

Seriously though winning four series, including a sweep of then first place Houston couldn't have come at a better time. Can we keep it up? WHo knows. But I'm getting drunk while I can!
    Montreal Royals - 1899-1912, 1915-Present
    New England Midnight Riders - 2026-Present

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    I have the worst luck in casual, fast sim leagues :/

Injuries continue to befall LA's top players. MVP candidate Francisco Montealegre is out for a large chunk of the rest of the season.
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Record in August 23-6, .793 PCT
    Damn I think this is the best month I've ever had with a team
    Montreal Royals - 1899-1912, 1915-Present
    New England Midnight Riders - 2026-Present

Not much drama or sizzle in the OWL's first September stretch run to the playoffs. Barring a major collapse, creed and cda_crusader's respective clubs will duke it out for the honor of the first OWL championship trophy. Houston had one great month, but have been exceptionally mediocre for the remainder of the schedule. I had the Valiant down when the season began to take the Pacific and they've fulfilled expectations. I'm a bit surprised that Boston haven't rolled over the competition in the Atlantic, but my own team have mystified me as well. Leading the OWL in pitching and defense was nothing close to what I envisioned in year one. Perhaps, the Outlaws can produce a late push and make Philly sweat a bit before they grab the Atlantic pennant.

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    Both LA teams have identical 77-64 Pythagorean records. While every team has dealt with injuries to some degree, I wonder what could have been had the Gladiators had the luck that the Valiant enjoyed.

Injuries have absolutely ravaged my team with 11 lasting of a month or more to those on the opening day roster. All but one were injuries to either a starting position player or a SP (the remaining one was to the reserve catcher).
    "[LivnLegend is] the modern master of the productivity-killing genre." - Peter Travers of Rolling Stone

Such ingratitude, after all the times I saved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLegend View Post
    Both LA teams have identical 77-64 Pythagorean records. While every team has dealt with injuries to some degree, I wonder what could have been had the Gladiators had the luck that the Valiant enjoyed.

Injuries have absolutely ravaged my team with 11 lasting of a month or more to those on the opening day roster. All but one were injuries to either a starting position player or a SP (the remaining one was to the reserve catcher).
    I suppose this is how you end up with Jeff Books playing center field. I haven't seen a defensive record that appalling, -22 ZR in just 64 starts, in a modern league, perhaps ever.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Perhaps, the Outlaws can produce a late push and make Philly sweat a bit before they grab the Atlantic pennant.
    I'd forgotten we're only playing 154 games this year until I checked the schedule for the next two weeks and realized this sim will bring the regular season to a close. So, yeah. Not gonna happen.

The OWL's first championship series went the distance and game 7 drifted into extra innings before a winner was crowned. All the fireworks in the bottom of the 10th occurred after two outs were on the board.