Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Talk FM: All Versions

We fucking crushed this transfer window. Details to come.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

So the signing of Antoine Griezmann accomplished exactly what I was hoping it would. Lukaku was a deadly scorer but he limited us to a degree because he just wasn't good at all in link up play. Defensively he was similarly limited and Griezmann's abilities on that side of things has allowed me to implement my preferred approach, which is to have the striker press the better passers among the center backs and keeper which forces the weakest link to start play offensively. He's already done something once which Firmino would do once or twice a season in my Liverpool saves which is to beat the keeper to a weak back pass for an easy goal. Overall he's actually been a bit disappointing with his 7.21 average rating, but he's opened things up for a much more democratic offensive approach and in particular he's unlocked the potential of Paul Pogba as a creator and scorer. In fact, Pogba finished second behind Coutinho for World Player of the Year and I suspect he's the favorite for both that award and the Ballon d'Or next December.

To see what this has looked like in action, here is the club leaderboard in goals in all competitions as of February 1:

Pogba 16
    Griezmann 16
    Martial 12
    Rashford 10
    Alexis 9
    Kovacic 7
    Herrera 5
    Four players with 4

And in assists:

Alexis 19(!)
    Pogba 9
    Kovacic 8
    Griezmann 6
    Herrera 6
    Shaw 6
    Sessegnon 5
    Martial 4

We've actually been a much better team than we were last season when we, of course, won the domestic treble. This season we lost the Community Shield 0-1 to Chelsea but are in the Caribao Cup Final and are still alive in both the FA Cup and the Champions League (after topping our group we face FC Basel in the Knockout Round). In the league we've been absolutely dominant, winning 19 times while drawing away to Chelsea 0-0 at Stamford Bridge and 1-1 at Old Trafford to Everton while losing 1-2 at both Anfield and the Emirates. We've scored 73 goals already and allowed just 11 for an astonishing +62 goal differential. We've scored 3.2 goals per match and allowed a hair under .5 per match where last season those rates were 2.6 and .6 respectively. We look like we've got another gear now.

Having been handed £97m for the transfer window was, of course, awesome and it really couldn't have worked out better than it did. As soon as I had that money in hand I started negotiations for the player who had been my top target since the summer, 21-year-old midfielder Tanguay Ndombele from Lyon, and we very quickly agreed to terms on a deal worth £40m up front and a potential £10m in add ons. You may not have heard of him, but you will. He's basically replaced Naby Keita as StatsBomb's favorite young and upcoming midfielder who is equally good defensively and going forward. He's supposedly Tottenham's top target this summer and has been linked to other big clubs including Manchester United. I've been easing him in so far, and he's cup tied in the Champions League, but he'll likely replace Ander Herrera in the midfield at the start of next season. Given the injuries to our wing players and my lack of confidence in Jesse Lingard I went after 18-year-old Jadon Sancho, who you probably have heard of given his breakthrough with Dortmund this season where he moved ahead of Chelsea bound Christian Pulisic in the pecking order and will likely bring in £100m or more when he eventually moves on from BVB. This signing wasn't cheap as he cost us £38m up front plus £33m in add ons but he's absolutely perfect for us as a left sided inside forward who can score goals with pressing skills, vision and passing plus mad pace. So our Sadio Mane, basically. He's an obvious future English national mainstay who is already trained in country from his youth days at City and is young enough to gain the same for the club. He scored a goal on his first start and is now unfortunately out for three weeks with a groin injury but he's one for the present and the future. I'll basically let him fight it out with Martial for the position and Sancho is much better at pressing so long term he has the advantage there and I'd imagine we could demand a king's ransom were we ever to sell Martial.

We got both of those across the line very early in December, long before the window opened, and then events conspired for us to pull off just a massive fucking coup. Ever since the summer Monaco had been monitoring David De Gea and since I'd already signed his replacement in Gianluigi Donnarumma I planned on transfer listing in the summer and hoping that either Monaco or some other big club would put up a massive fee for him. Early in December, however, PSG starting scouting him and the player came to me asking to leave. I told him I would let him go if the club met our valuation of him, which we eventually negotiated to £70m. On the first day of the transfer window I called Dean Henderson back from his loan with Wolves, where he was the first team keeper, and transfer listed De Gea. PSG tried to lowball us at first but eventually we agreed to a fee of £55m up front and the full £70m once the add ons vest. The fans weren't happy but fuck it. After that, in December I noticed that Arsenal were watching Daley Blind and had major interest in him. I'd planned on keeping Blind around because of his versatility but if Arsenal wanted him I knew I could get a good fee and I had a player in mind I wanted to spend it on. So I set his asking price at £32.5m and offered him up once the De Gea move was confirmed. Again, they tried to low ball us but eventually we agreed to a fee of £26m up front plus £6.25m in add ons so once again we hit our valuation. Once both those signings were official we were able to pounce in a very opportunistic fashion for just a massive, massive player.

As I noted earlier in the thread, Virgil van Dijk had become unsettled at Anfield to the point that he had lost all trust in Klopp. When I checked in on him last January the club were demanding £140m for him which obviously wasn't realistic. At this point though he'd become so unhappy that his performance had suffered severely and he was regularly not even being selected for the bench. We pounced with an offer of £65m up front plus another £15m down the line and he very quickly agreed to personal terms as well. I can't even express what an upgrade he is on Eric Bailly. Bailly is a good player and very fast but his decision making is questionable and his passing can be downright poor. van Dijk, of course, is a fucking rock and maybe the best center back in the world. If there was any downgrade from De Gea to Donnarumma in the short term it will be more than offset from the addition of Big Virg. Unlike the other lot I've thrown him straight in to the first team and he's performed. The fans were skeptical but he's actually set to be the captain once we move on from Ander Herrera sometime in the next couple seasons. He's not even cup tied for the Champions League this season since Liverpool only qualified for the Europa League last season. Just a massive, massive signing, probably the most important one yet.

All told this season we've spent £329m and brought in £209m. And we're not done yet. We have a few players who are guaranteed outs in the summer and I've identified even more targets to bring in. And, of course, all along I've been signing players for the youth teams who haven't even been mentioned. The United Death Star is back emphatically.
    Last edited by Hollis; 06-17-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Speaking of young players, I've recently graduated three players through the ranks and moved them up to the senior side.

The first is a 17-year-old Dane called Claus Bjerregaard. That's a mouthful! He was available on a free at the start of the game and my scouts were able to identify him early on. As of now he's a center back and has performed well there this season with the U23s but he's also being trained as a right back and I think he may be a viable option there in the future because he's very athletic and while his technical skills aren't there just yet he does have a 13 rating in technique so it's conceivable he may get there eventually. In any case, he has very strong mentals capped off by an 18 rating in determination and a 12 in work rate and he's already rated as a Championship level player. He's also strong enough in leadership that he could be a very influential player in the the future. At his early age he already has 10 U21 caps for his country and he made his club debut against Sunderland away in the Carabao Cup Semi Final.

Up next is 16-year-old Frenchman MickaŽl Gaimette who despite his age doesn't look at all far off from first team football as he's already rated as being suited to Championship football. Once again, he was a product of our superb scouting department as he was available on a free at the beginning of the save and we signed him right up. Already he has 16 technique even if most of his actual skills don't match that. On top of that his mentals are extremely advanced, I'm talking 17 decisions and bravery, and his physicals look like they will eventually be world class. He hasn't debuted for the club as yet but he'll get there, probably this season. He's capped by France at the U20 level.

The star of the show, however, is 16-year-old Englishman Bryan Round who came up in our first youth intake. He's already worth £4.1m and with very good reason. At 16, again, he has an 18 rating in determination, a 17 rating in natural fitness, 16 in dribbling and finishing, 15 in teamwork, and 14 in free kicks, balance, stamina and strength. At his young age he also has 13 pace and 12 acceleration, 12 agility, 12 vision, 12 decisions, and 12 anticipation. He's already a Championship level player and his scouting report lists him as driven. There are also literally no red flags. He's going to be a global fucking superstar. He's a natural at striker and would fit in perfectly as a false nine but he also can play in the midfield very easily which makes me think that he could be trained all over the pitch. Not that we'll need to do any of that. He's the future striker for club and country and already has 4 goals in 5 matches for the England U23s. He made his club debut in the same Sunderland match that Bjerregaard ("bless you!") did and should just kick on from there. Eventually I think he'll make Griezmann and Griezmann's massive salary expendable.
    Last edited by Hollis; 06-17-2019 at 09:39 PM.

In our 1-0 win away at Birmingham in the FA Cup Bryan Round scored the only goal and the winner to become the youngest Man U scorer in history at just shy of 17.