Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Talk FM: All Versions

So I got bored with the Villa save and started another Liverpool save where I stuck to the actual moves Klopp made and managed to bring in Alisson, Shaq, and Fabinho along with the already tied in Keita. Things are going really well but I'm only posting because Studge just scored the go ahead goal that almost certainly will clinch the 19/20 Premier League title against Southampton and he literally got injured scoring the goal. Sometimes FM is more real than reality.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

I just got Wrexham promoted into League Two after my second season! \o/ First I need to tell you the crazy way we won the title, then I need some advice for a tactical approach in a higher league where we're likely to be overmatched most of the time.

First, how we won it. We climbed into first place in the middle of the season and stayed there for a bit, but hit a skid and dropped as low as 4th. We clawed our way back up and led by a point with two games left. We were playing one of the worst teams in the league and a win would put our fate in our hands. So of course, we lost 1-0 (on the road), while the second place team (Guiseley) coughed up a lead at the last minute to draw and pull even heading into the final week.

But Guiseley had a +33 GD while we sat at +30, so for all intents and purposes, if they won, they were in. I scoreboard-watched the whole game, and Guiseley went down by a goal early, putting us into first place while we were still scoreless. Then they gave up another goal! And then they scored one. And another, bringing us even in the table once again and giving them the tiebreaker. But then we scored to make it 1-0 and go back on top! But then Guiseley scored again, putting them up by one and the title effectively out of our reach.

And then our opponent had a man sent off. Suddenly we were up a man late in the first half, and barring any more score changes in the other game, scoring three more goals would even up the GD, which would send us to the second tiebreaker, goals scored. We led Guiseley by four goals. If we could by some miracle put three past our weakened opponent in under an hour, we would win the title.

I subbed out our DM for an ACM, going to a 4-2-3-1, and I switched us from control to attacking. We were going for it. And we scored. And then we scored again.

And then, late in regulation, we scored a fourth. It was 4-0. Guiseley was still up by 1. The clock ticked down. Neither score changed. The whistle blew. We both ended with a +34 GD and we took the league on goals scored. Amazing. (And then we lost the FA Trophy final to a lower league team the next weekend. :sadbanana

So now I'm looking to the coming season. Since we were one of the best teams (in fact, the champions!) in our league, we generally played a fairly attacking brand of soccer, adapted a bit for the lower talent level of players in our league. In our first year, I generally played the same 4-2-3-1 (no DMs) that we dominated that final game with, but we finished 7th and I felt like we needed more stability at the back. Our CBs tend to break late on through balls and let attackers run by them, so I wanted to drop my line deeper and give them a DM.

In our title year, we almost exclusively played in a 4-1-2-3 V, with two DFBs, a DM, a BBM/AP in the middle, an attacking winger on the right and an inside forward on the left (to prevent a vacuum behind the striker), and an advanced forward. That let me play my D-line "slightly deeper" and not have a gap between them and my midfield, but it was still a fundamentally attacking formation. I don't want to park the bus but I do want to sit back, clog up the middle, and counterattack.

I've considered just running out that same formation but having the attacking midfielders opens up our flanks. If I drop them back as regular wide midfielders, it puts our striker on an island. I could make the striker a DF to reduce the gap, and a BBM and AP in the middle could help with our attack. But would it be enough or would be playing for a lot of scoreless draws?

I've also thought back to what the Timbers did last year when their high press was clearly a disaster and they went into an emergency Christmas tree formation, with 4 defenders, 3 defensive midfielders, 2 central attacking midfielders, and a striker. It worked extremely well as it sparked a 15-game unbeaten run with lots of low-scoring draws, but they were probably overperforming. If I were to do that, I'm wondering how to position the midfielders - all three as DMs? CM-DM-CM? (Would that be too narrow?) Three CMs? (I imagine that wouldn't clog up the box enough.) And then what about the attacking pair? Obviously it would depend on where the trio is, but central? Attacking?

I've thought about 5 at the back but a 5-4-1 has the same (even moreso) problem, and most other 5-defender formations seem more attack oriented. I don't trust playing with wingbacks so if anything I'd do a flat 5. I've considered a 5-3-1-1 asymmetric (with the #10 and #9 staggered and a BBM-BWM-AP trio) which provides solid coverage all up and down the middle of the pitch but again leaves the flanks exposed.

I do expect us to be somewhat dangerous in the attack. I'm returning a lot of young, talented players who have played together for the two years I've been in charge, and I value intelligence, teamwork, passing and pace. My offseason mission is to finally bring in two franchise fullbacks instead of the mediocre revolving door I've had, and another talented CB to supplement/take over for my aging captain, alongside two talented younger CBs. My line has been decent to good but never great and I'm not going into a promotion year without doing something about that, so I might just solve some of our leakiness that way. But what do you think of my tactical options?
    Last edited by Hotblack; 04-18-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

I think a 4-1-2-3 wide would work fine. Play with a counter mentality and don't play a high line. Make sure you have offside trap ticked as well so you don't get pounded over the top. In certain situation a two DM 4-2-3-1 with a counter or control mentality would work as well as long as your DMs can get the ball up the field. I'd certainly advise getting as many loan players from top clubs as you can. They won't always loan to league two but sometimes they do.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

It's not a problem having the attacking wingers so far upfield?

Yes, I use loans to great effect. Many of these young core players are guys who I've been renewing on loan from year to year. The Conference had a 6-loan limit but there appears to be none in League Two.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Quote Originally Posted by Hotblack View Post
    It's not a problem having the attacking wingers so far upfield?
    I haven't had any problems with it but, then again, in my save the wingers are Salah and Mane so it might not work so well with Wrexham. I'd at least play with it in the friendlies and see how it goes.

So just now I finally, finally, did something that I'd always wanted to achieve but never had before in FM. In the same Liverpool save I mentioned before we finished the the 20/21 Premier League season with 104 points and a record of 33 wins, five draws, and, this is the thing I'd never done before, exactly zero losses. The cool thing about it was that the first choice lineup was Alisson-Robbo-Virg-Joe-Trent-Fabinho-Naby-Ox-Sadio-Mo-Firmino. So all current real life Liverpool players.

Now, I'm not going to lie, I greatly strengthened the bench with guys like Mendy, de Ligt, and Asensio and a handful of newgens but to be honest the bulk of the immense bench contributions (and we had a ton of injuries in this campaign) were from Matip, Gini, Hendo, Woodburn, Brewster, and, believe it or not, Adam Lallana (35 appearances with 6 goals and 6 assists with a 7.16 average rating at age 33) plus even a bit from a 35-year-old Milner. That helped, of course, but just setting out Klopp's targets from the beginning (this is still FM18) and getting them plus sticking with my best approximation of Klopp's style did basically all the work.

We also already won the Carabao Cup and are in the FA Cup Final versus United and the Champions League Final versus City. So, yeah, good stuffs. We're the new invincibles.

So we won the FA cup and the Champions League and while I managed to get through the summer and even through the Community Shield and the Super Cup I realized that my heart just wasn't in it anymore. I had a ton of youngsters on the come up but when you have basically won everything and look like you are going to continue to win everything for the foreseeable future it's just not that much fun anymore. So I quit and started a new project.

This is one I've been thinking about for a bit and I am now the new manager of Manchester United. I've always wanted to manage Paul Pogba from the start, make him the focal point of the attack as a midfielder, and take on what I thought was going to be something of a rebuild. When I looked at the team though I was just shocked at what a challenge it will be to play my style of counter-attacking football. I'm still on 18 but only Pogba, Martial, and Lindelöf are up to standards and fit with my philosophy. De Gea is mediocre at distribution, Shaw sucks ass, I'm not sure what Bailly does exactly, the fullbacks are old and mediocre, Matic doesn't have the speed or the workrate I want from a DM, etc etc.

Thankfully the financial muscle should allow us to sign basically whoever we want and my plan is to sign a bunch of young talents to build depth in numbers instead of blowing it all on one or two elite 28-year-olds or whatever. Still, I'll need to at least make the Champions League in the next couple seasons, which will definitely be transition seasons, in order to not get fired. So this should be interesting.
    Last edited by Hollis; 05-21-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Our first match was the UEFA Super Cup against Real Madrid and we lost 2-1 because Paul Pogba gave up an 87th minute penalty to Ronaldo in a match where Pogba played like absolute shit. So did Ashley Young. OTOH, Lindelöf was a fucking beast. So there was some good and some bad and maybe it will all work out!

That was your first loss in a long time, wasn't it?

Since the Community Shield in my final season at Liverpool.