Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OOTP 18

Latest beta changed the imports. Defense is much better, probably better than last year, and stuff and power for the 1901 players is back down where it has generally been.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

One minor victory. If you use the option to prevent AI roster changes, it also will not mess with your lineups or rotations. That means I can act as commissioner to have real life lineups while still checking the historical minors box.
    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session -- Mark Twain

So... one thing that I've stealth-noticed last year and this year both is that deadball era numbers seem to be a lot better across the board. I'm not sure how the 19th century is (my league I do started in 1893 but also began 2 versions ago) but I know that in years past Eck in particular has said that earned runs get calculated weird and as a result ERAs in old timey leagues go from being way too low in the early going to still too damn low in the dead ball era. What I'm seeing now is that they're actually pretty close; in fact, right now I'm in 1908 and if anything they're a tenth of a point or so too *high* (although even this is, I think, primarily because I set stolen base success rates to the "break-even point" of around 70% because otherwise I feel like you create weird, perverse incentives like slower teams having better offenses than faster ones and teams being encouraged to use weak-armed catchers instead of strong-armed ones because even if they "only" throw out 40% of the guys who steal on them, they're still creating outs for their team and what's more, they get run on more often). The triple slashes are all kind of scarily close and what I've seen, too, is that the ratio of earned runs to runs is about right.

Another thing I am really, really liking: the new injury system. It's kind of fantastic. Injuries are no longer a "play this guy until he's hurt" kind of deal. In conjunction with fatigue it feels like the most realistic injury model I've ever seen, like, anywhere. I think that normally you do expect a guy to play in every game if he's good enough and he's healthy, but most guys aren't going to be able to stay healthy for an entire season and so when that situation arises you have to do more of what managers have to do in real life: make your decisions on a player to player basis. I actually like both the 3-factor nature of injuries (arm injuries mainy affect throwing, leg injuries mainly affect running, etc.) as well as the uncertain nature of how bad the injuries are. Already it's made for some interesting decisions. I'll find myself playing my starting first baseman through all kinds of maladies so long as his hitting isn't affected, whereas the second a pitcher or catcher comes down with arm issues, they're out of the lineup/rotation until they get better (the "until they get better" thing, by the way, is exacerbated by the fact that now those niggling injuries can get worse if you just tell your guys to tough it out and play through them). My stud shortstop just sprained his elbow: do I sit him out entirely, mix in his backup more to ensure he never gets tired, or maybe move him to first base for a few weeks and hope he doesn't get any worse?

On top of all of *that*, I am loving some of the new narratives that the injuries form. There is one guy on the White Sox right now who is hitting about 100 points below what he hit last year, going from one of the stars of the team to replacement-level. He's also pretty young and has had a chronic injury for most of the year. I feel like in years past looking at this guy would have been a matter of weighing the probability of bad luck vs the chance that his ratings secretly took a big hit (I play stats-only - well, I have "other ratings" on because there's no other good way to tell what a player's sac bunt rating is, and also I turn potentials on when I draft because the stats the game generates for HS and college players are wonky anyway). *Now* there is the additional mitigating factor of "maybe he's still good but is fighting through an injury". If nothing else, it's led me to spell players more than I used to but at the same time leave guys in the lineup for longer before giving up on them.

I guess the downside is that there is a *lot* more to consider now. I'm finding that straight-up "this guy is out for 3 weeks" style injuries are rather rare; instead, you have to decide whether or not you can live with a marginal starter doing pinch-hitting / spot-starting duty for you while he recovers from injury or just say "screw it" and lose him to the DL until he's fully recovered. I *would* like to see a bit of a loosening of the "you can't demote an injured player" rule; *is* it still against baseball rules to demote a guy you just reported has a hangnail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlock Treatment podcast, Episode 73
    There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a bitch.

Earned runs are better, but the game still misses a few of them. There was a weird dynamic for a while where a bunch of runners (over one per game) were being thrown out at the plate. They were denying anything was wrong, but after I downloaded the patch the problem ceased to exist. Spritze is starting a campaign for 19th century support. We'll see whether he can succeed where the rest of us have failed.
    ''

A Significant Posisbliity TotalEnd98's Avatar
    I gave challenge mode a run with a 1996 historical season. The league is essentially financially ruined in the 1996 offseason (few teams have any money for FA and only Atlanta can afford to sign even one top FA) and I don't see a way of fixing it. TMKUTGW!
    OH GOD I FORGOT ABOUT CONSERVATION OF MASS OH GOD

I started a 12-team solo league, intending to sim some history and take over the worst team. I used 1992 for the leagues stats/financial settings. The statistics to start out are...crazy. The single-season HR record is 97, batting average is .418, ERA is 1.59. League ERAs hover in the high 5s. After 6-1/2 seasons, the all time home run leader has 591, having hit 90+ home runs for the last five seasons. Ugh.

I'm hoping the TCBA's early adoption of OOTP18 doesn't go screwy in some similar unexpected fashion.

Found a strange press release in my unread emails announcing that OOTP and the Trenton Thunder had entered some kind of partnership. This is one of the worst written press releases I've ever read in my life, and I've read tens of thousands. I'll restrict myself to highlighting the worthless cliches and corporate nothingspeak contained therein

Out of the Park Developments announces strategic partnership with Trenton Thunder, Double-A affiliate of New York Yankees

Makers of Out of the Park Baseball 18, an Official Licensee of MLB.com, MLBPA, and MiLB.com, will work closely with Thunder to further the game’s authenticity and reach; Follow-up to Metacritic’s 2016 PC Game of the Year features deep experience of Trenton’s historic successes, as well as those of hundreds of other major and minor league clubs

Out of the Park Developments, an official licensee of MLB.com, the MLBPA, and MiLB.com, today announced a strategic partnership with the Trenton Thunder, the Double-A affiliate of the New York Yankees. The partnership will further extend the rich authenticity that Out of the Park Baseball 18 offers fans, including the ability to experience each and every Major and Minor League club from every baseball season ever played, beginning in 1871 and continuing through 2017. In addition, Trenton Thunder staff and players will utilize Out of the Park Baseball 18 to run simulations and projections to provide strategic analysis as the 2017 season progresses.

“The Trenton Thunder are the gold standard of Double-A baseball,” said OOTP CMO Richard Grisham. “Their alumni reads like a Who’s Who of baseball greatness, and they consistently compete for – and win – Eastern League Championships. We’re delighted to work closely with them to further extend OOTP 18’s authenticity and interact directly with their fans on broadcasts and at Arm & Hammer Park.”

“Our goal is to directly work with as many major and minor league clubs as possible to take our games to the next level,” Grisham continued. “Working with teams benefits our fans in many ways, including park factors, financial models for clubs at various levels, retired numbers, and many other details that we have incorporated into the game. Our fans have been loud and clear with their delight, as it further adds realism and authenticity to a title that has won multiple awards. We could not be happier!”

“Out of the Park Baseball 18 gives everyone an opportunity to be the main decision maker for their favorite team and lead them to a Championship,” said Thunder Public Relations Manager Jon Mozes. “As a kid I dreamed of becoming a Major League GM and OOTP 18 gives every fan the chance to live that dream.”

In addition to that collaboration, Out of the Park Baseball 18 will be directly integrated in Thunder radio and TV broadcasts. Members of the Out of the Park Developments development team will also be appearing at Arm & Hammer Ballpark on Thursday, August 24th for the Thunder’s game against Richmond. Fans in attendance will compete to win copies of their games Out of the Park Baseball 18, MLB Manager 2017, and Franchise Hockey Manager 3.

Out of the Park Baseball 18 is now available worldwide. The follow-up to the acclaimed Metacritic 2016 PC Game of the Year includes several exciting new features and a treasure trove of deep improvements to its award-winning gameplay.

Out of the Park Baseball 18 sells for $39.99 and is available on Steam and through the company’s website at these links:
    If you have any idea what any of that means, congratulations!
    Heritage Court's furry residents can enjoy the dog agility course and pet spa, truly defines what a pet friendly is all about.

It means they're spending advertising money on a AA affiliate of the New York Yankees.

I think the Red Sox ran simulations on Diamond Mind Baseball for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    It means they're spending advertising money on a AA affiliate of the New York Yankees.

I think the Red Sox ran simulations on Diamond Mind Baseball for a couple of years.
    I did not read the release to mean this but that is indeed exactly what it means, according to the Thunder PR person. He said "We're still developing the way for our players to be involved with it. I know for some players it can be super weird to play video games that they themselves are in, some guys never do it, other guys enjoy it." I guess that's a nice way of saying that part of the release is BS. The PR guy is a OOTPer, so he may have even instigated it.
    Heritage Court's furry residents can enjoy the dog agility course and pet spa, truly defines what a pet friendly is all about.