Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889

Thread: Russia

Yes, you're totally not for Putin and Assad. Definitely.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

Talk Democratic Dysfunction
    Name Two Bands with Andy and Andy

Can I get another hot take on how it's a Good Thing that The Magnitsky Act: Behind the Scenes has been censored in the United States? Have you watched it? If you haven't, you should. Then you will know for yourself and won't have to take Michael Weiss' Daily CIA Briefing's word for ti.

How about you start by explaining to me how it has been censored.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

It's funny, I can't find any reputable news sites that report on how this film has been "censored". I can find Nazi and Russian sites that do. Hmmmmm.

Edit - It's almost as if g20 has allowed himself (because of his distaste for corporate media) to be co-opted by Kremlin backed "independent" media and now buys totally in to its narrative of events. The chemical weapons attacks were a false flag! All the Syrian rebels are Al~Qaeda! The white hats are State Department plants! Donald Trump is the real peace candidate!
    Last edited by Hollis; 08-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.

This New Yorker piece by Jane Mayer is very interesting. It's not conclusive by any means but it does lay out a persuasive case that Russian troll farm efforts were far more consequential than most have acknowledge and really might have tipped the election. It even makes the provocative argument that James Comey's (possibly decisive) actions during the election were driven in large part by Russian efforts. Worth a read at least.

The problem is that the election was so close that you can point to almost anything that happened in 2016 and say it tipped the election. You'd most likely be right, too.
    Things can always be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    This New Yorker piece by Jane Mayer is very interesting. It's not conclusive by any means but it does lay out a persuasive case that Russian troll farm efforts were far more consequential than most have acknowledge and really might have tipped the election.
    I have been saying this for quite some time. I don't understand why people aren't paying more attention to this. Find the FB page of some right-leaning 60-somethings that you know. Check out their FB pages. They are from another planet. Pages and pages of memes and dubious news reports that no sensible person would believe. We had a guy post a racist comment on our website so I checked out his FB page. He had posted 23 angry memes or fake news reports in the past 24 hours. He was devoting a significant portion of his day to posting hateful rhetoric. This is, if not the direct work of Russian trolls, then the harvest that they have sowed. We have a meaningfully large portion of our population, including quite a lot of the elder population, that is basically completely brainwashed. They'll believe that a Democrat in Congress is trying to replace the Stars and Stripes with the Rainbow. They'll believe that a Washington Post reporter actually works in Nancy Pelosi's office. They will believe any conspiracy you can concoct, in other words. It is the result of both coordinated and uncoordinated efforts to undermine their decision making.
    Last edited by Sixto; 09-25-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    One old man is enough.

Uninformed people being brainwashed is nothing new. That's what churches always have been. Schools and media also play part of that role. Local newspapers used to pretty effective brainwashing tools back in the day.

It's just the brainwashing efforts used to be not this far-reaching and wide-reaching before internet. It's kind of how scams are much worse these days.

To make it worse, with the social media ease of use, any brainwashed people can easily turn around to start brainwash other people. In the past those guys would have limited influence on others.

35th & Shields & Yarnell eriqjaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlyons View Post
    The problem is that the election was so close that you can point to almost anything that happened in 2016 and say it tipped the election. You'd most likely be right, too.
    I, personally, blame the Cubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by phenom View Post
    Nobody likes you.

I blame that fucking butterfly in Brazil.
    disco!