Thread: Fallout

Fallout

While waiting for Fallout 4 to be released on November 10th, if you're interested in replaying (or playing for the first time!) two of the best RPGs ever, Fallout 1 and 2 are on sale through the weekend on Steam for $3.39 each, along with Fallout Tactics.

I'm playing Fallout 76 quite a bit lately and while that game had a horrific launch, it might actually be one of the best Bethesda Fallout games right now (New Vegas is still better but that was Obsidian). Because it's a online game, they've been forced to actually do things like patch, rebalance, add new content - something they've never really done in any of their other games. There's micro-transactions but they're cosmetic. There's no human NPCs but the environmental story is one of the best I've played in a game (dealing mainly with issues like job automation and cooperation, which seems extremely relevant right now). The plot is basically a slow-paced giant detective story - why aren't these people around any more? The map is also excellent and far surpasses any of the other games in terms of variety. Most of the bugs are the ones you see in any online game - server crash/lag mostly, which is fortunately getting rarer. The community also seems pretty good now, most of the griefing kiddies have long since moved onto other games and the average person you run into is either very helpful or just ignores you.

If any of you are playing/want to play on PC, add my username as a friend and if we're both on at the same time, I can give you a pretty good head-start if you want. If you didn't enjoy the previous Bethesda Fallout games you probably won't like this one but if you did, this will be lots of fun. There's a number of new group quests that we could help each other with.
    Last edited by kingcharlesxii; 05-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.

If you didn't like the previous Fallout games, I don't want to know you.

The old ones were great but they're also a completely different genre from the "modern" Bethesda ones - isometric RPG vs 1st person RPG-lite shooter/scavenger/explorer.

Fallout 76 is free this week. They added a separate Battle Royale mode, which is fine I guess? I don't really enjoy shooting other players but it seems to have been very positively received. The game is also pretty solid now, I haven't had a crash in weeks (Fallout 4 still crashes every few hours for me). This is the first game Bethesda has had to actually patch and fix themselves and it really shows how much better the game is now.

If you decide to play and you're on PC, hit me up and I'll get you some goodies to get started.