Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Cocktails

Schindleria Praematurus lastplaneout's Avatar
    I made some Lumiere cocktails tonight.

2 oz. Gin
    1 oz. Elderflower liqueur (I used St. Germain)
    3/4 oz. Chartreuse
    3/4 oz. lime juice
    3 dashes of orange bitters

Served up.

Really nice combination of herbal and citrus flavors. The lime juice adds a lot to it.
    Dick Allen was a true professional singer. He sang in a high, delicate tenor that belied his powerful body.

Tonight I tried making whiskey sours using aquafaba instead of egg white. It worked very well. And now I don't have to worry about contracting salmonella.
    Dick Allen was a true professional singer. He sang in a high, delicate tenor that belied his powerful body.

Does that add a different flavor to the drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzard View Post
    Does that add a different flavor to the drink?
    It didn't really. It just gave it a nice frothiness. I didn't get the clean layer of foam that you get with shaken egg whites, but the texture was nice.

I think I wouldn't really want to use it in a delicately flavored drink, but for something robust like a whiskey sour it worked really well.
    Last edited by lastplaneout; 03-01-2019 at 11:05 AM.

I used to try new cocktail ideas, back when this thread was more active. Nowadays I just do simple things like pouring gin into turmeric tea or spiking milk with Kahlua.

Maybe I'll make something tonight. I want to mix something with Ouzo and pickle juice.

Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    I used to try new cocktail ideas, back when this thread was more active. Nowadays I just do simple things like pouring gin into turmeric tea or spiking milk with Kahlua.

Maybe I'll make something tonight. I want to mix something with Ouzo and pickle juice.
    I say mix it with some Fireball and inject it intravenously.

Quote Originally Posted by lastplaneout View Post
    It didn't really. It just gave it a nice frothiness. I didn't get the clean layer of foam that you get with shaken egg whites, but the texture was nice.

I think I wouldn't really want to use it in a delicately flavored drink, but for something robust like a whiskey sour it worked really well.
    https://food52.com/recipes/29785-white-lady

This is what I've used egg whites for. Morgenthaler's book is the one I had been following earlier in the thread. The homemade thyme-infused cointreau is awesome but the drink might be too delicate for that. Store bought egg whites work okay though and they're Pasteurized.

A very simple drink: star anise chai with Bombay Sapphire East and hot water. Basically boozy spice tea.