Page 1 of 166 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgers Rant

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar

Dodgers Rant

So, the largest thread in OOTP history dedicated to a single sports franchise was nuked and we must begin anew. The last one began with a rant about how the Dodgers looked like the laughingstock of baseball due to inept upper management decisions (how much has changed in 6 years?) although it was mostly over how they mishandled the firing of Tracy and DePodesta, seemingly without any sort of plan (which ended up being the hiring of Grady Little and Ned Colletti). Now the issue is new ownership. I'm not sure which of the 8 (possibly more) finalists would be the best case scenario for Dodgers fans. I'm not sure anyone at this point could harbor a guess (though fan favorite Mark Cuban is out). We don't even know if McCourt will be completely out of the picture since rumor is he wants to hold onto the land surrounding the stadium. What we do know is the group that buys the team will set a record for a baseball franchise purchase price and McCourt will end up with far more money than he started with, even after all his trials, tribulations and divorce.

Of all the threads I hoped would retain their original title, this was at or near the top!

There's so many obscenely weathy bidders out there that I'm now very anti-Cohen and might find myself having a hard time supporting the team in good conscience should he win. :\

I too am particularly bitter over how McCourt is going to make out here. When all's said and done, he'll come out hundreds of millions of dollars ahead, and possibly own the parking lots. On the plus side, I can't imagine anything spurring public transit use to Dodger Stadium than the prospect of having to give Frank McCourt money to drive there.

I think this team could contend, there's no real juggernaut in the division. If they moved the fences back 10 feet we'd have the best rotation in the league.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Latest TCBA file | Latest CL file

Hey, no fair using my picture as your avatar!

I am a F....B....I Agent LivnLegend's Avatar
    According to this Forbes article, the highest of the five acceptable bids was $1.6 billion and the lowest was $1.3 billion and none of the bids included purchasing the the parking lot. Crap on a stick. So, as widely expected, McCourt will still be the landlord and nearly every fan who visits will be paying Frank for the privilege to do so.

Sounds like east coast Mets fan hedge fund owner Cohen is shaping up to be the guy. And Frank goes back to what he does best, charging people to leave their cars on a slab of asphalt.

Magic's bid is higher. MLB doesn't like it as much because it is more leveraged, but I doubt McCourt will care. $200 million is $200 milion.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Magic's bid is higher. MLB doesn't like it as much because it is more leveraged, but I doubt McCourt will care. $200 million is $200 milion.
    Source? (Seriously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotblack View Post
    Source? (Seriously.)
    The Forbes article LL linked to.

I don't have time to click links, I'm a busy man!

I know I violated OTBL protocol when I read it before posting, but I was curious.