Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OOTP18 - 1992 Los Angeles Dodgers

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar

The 1992 Cincinnati Reds began the season with lofty expectations. Though most scribes had the Braves winning the division, the Reds were definitely expected to make it close. Although they won just 74 games the year before after winning the World Series in 1990, the Reds looked to be greatly improved after bolstering their rotation and re-tooling the outfield. They added veteran hurlers Tim Belcher (from the Dodgers) and Greg Swindell (Indians) in trades, as well as trading for two new outfield starters in Bip Roberts (San Diego) and Dave Martinez (Montreal).

The Reds are led by manager 48-year old Lou Piniella, in his third season with Cincinnati.

The Reds are notable for being the last MLB team still wearing pullover jerseys with sansabelt pants. This trend was adopted by most of the league after the Pirates debuted them in 1970, with just five teams avoiding the look during this era (Dodgers, Expos, Mets, Yankees, and Phillies). By 1988, double-knit uniforms and elastic banded pants were pretty much over, with only the Reds still avoiding buttons and belts by the time 1992 rolled around but the Reds would join the rest of MLB and move to the traditional button-down jerseys next year.
    Reserve catcher Troy Afenir models the Reds uni

This year would be also be the last for the current Reds logo, which has featured Mr. Redlegs since 1972. Next year the Reds will go back to the familiar wishbone C without the caricature.

Enough about that, how are they doing on the field? In the young season they have started out 8-4, and come to LA in a three-way tie atop the NL West. Martinez has begun his Reds career well, hitting .358/.419/.538, with another new addition in Swindell also starting strong. The lefty has a 0.34 ERA through three starts. However, the Dodgers will miss on Swindell, though they do face two other pitchers who have traditionally been very tough against the Dodgers.

April 20: Tom Browning (1-0, 1.13 ERA) vs. Bob Ojeda (1-1, 6.39)
    Trivia: Browning pitched the 12th perfect game in MLB history against the Dodgers back in 1988.
    While the Dodgers avoided the shutout for the first time in the last three games, their anemic offense posted just one run off Browning in a the Redsí 5-1 win. LA didnít help themselves in the field, committing four errors on the left side of the infield - two by Jose Offerman at short and two by Mike Sharperson at third - which helped lead to a pair of unearned runs. They now have 13 as a club, with Offerman responsible for 6 of those.

April 21: Chris Hammond (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 6 IP) vs. Kevin Gross (0-1, 2.02, 13 IP)
    The Reds took a 3-1 lead early, partially in thanks to Barry Larkinís first inning homer. The Dodgers clawed back to tie it but Larkin parked another dong in the 8th off Jay Howell. This one came with two runners aboard and allowed Cincy to win it 6-3. Closer Rob Dibble picked up his 4th save as the Dodgers dropped their 5th in a row.

April 22: Jose Rijo (2-0, 1.82) vs Tom Candiotti (2-1, 2.25)
    The Dodgers tried to shake up their slumping offense by benching three struggling starters, Eric Davis, Mike Scioscia, and Eric Karros. Rijo was sharp, shutting out the Dodgers on 7 2/3 innings and leaving with a 2-0 lead. However, in the bottom of the 9th the Dodgers tied it up against reliever Bryan Hickerson. Offerman and Lenny Harris each reached base and moved up on a double steal. Backup catcher Carlos Hernandez then singled home the runners to tie it up. However, in the 10th, the Reds tacked on a run against Jim Gott when Bip Roberts singled home the go-ahead run. In the bottom of the 10th, with Dibble unavailable due to usage, Hickerson stayed in and allowed a single to Javier, who had replaced Davis in the lineup. In an odd twist of fate, Davis was then sent to pinch hit for Harris and blasted a walk-off 2-run homer to give LA the amazing 4-3 win, snapping the losing streak n the process. What a game!

The Dodgers are now 6-10, while the Reds drop out of first place at 10-5, one game behind Houston.

The National League player of the week is Andy Van Slyke (PIT) who hit .500/.522/.720 for the first place Pirates. Heís one of three NLíers already to 1.0 WAR.

The American League player of the week is catcher Chris Hoiles (BAL) who hit .500/.560/1.025, including 4 home runs and 8 RBI. Heís tied for second in homers with 5.

I remember having ball uniforms like that when I used to play baseball back in the day, and jesus they were the most uncomfertable things to wear, especially when they never had your size and having to wear them on days with the humidex being 100+. So glad they went the way of big hair and glam rock.
    Montreal Royals - 1899-1912, 1915-Present
    New England Midnight Riders - 2026-Present

Have a deal in mind? Send an offer.

I am a F, B, I, Agent LivnLegend's Avatar

The Dodgers travel to San Francisco to play the Giants for three games. The Dodgers have now played all five of their division rivals and play the Giants for the second time after opening the season at home against the NoCals.

Aptil 24: Orel Hershiser (2-2, 3.00) vs Trevor Wilson (2-0, 0.79)
    The 24-year old Wilson is enjoying a very fine start. He comes into the game riding a 16 inning scoreless streak with a complete game shutout of the Padres last week. The Dodgers counter the lefty with an all-right capable lineup, save for Darryl Strawberry.

The scoreless string ended quickly as Mitch Webster smacked the second pitch of the game over the wall for a 1-0 lead. The teams battled it out back and forth, with Webster coming up big again later with a 2-run triple. Hershiser helped himself with an RBI as well. Roger McDowell came on for a four-out save to secure the 5-4 Dodgers win. Webster had 4 hits in all. Darren Lewis and Will Clark each had 3 hits in the losing effort.

April 25: Ramon Martinez (0-3, 4.41) vs Salomon Torres (1-1, 4.34)
    Torres is in his first major league season at age 20, which is the same age Martinez broke into the league with the Dodgers four years ago.

Kal Daniels knocked in Strawberry for the lead in the 4th. Strawberry had a solo shot in the 7th and then drove in two more in the 9th. Daniels followed with another RBI to make it 5-0. Jay Howell came on in the 9th and gave up a homer to Clark which made it 5-2 but was able to end the threat and seal the win.

Martinez struck out 6 in 8 innings with 3 hits allowed and 0 walks in picking up his first W of the year.

April 26: Bob Ojeda (1-2, 5.59) vs Bill Swift (3-1 2.38)
    Swift, who has a decision in all four of his starts, beat the Dodgers on Opening Day.

The Giants used three singles and a fly ball to score two runs in the first. The Dodgers struck back for one of their own in the next inning. However, San Fran added two more in the 5th and another in the 8th. A late run by the Dodgers didn’t make a difference as the Giants prevailed 5-2. Swift now has four wins, tied for the ML lead.

While the Dodgers missed the sweep, they have to be happy taking two of three with the way things have been going. The end the series at 8-11 while the Giants are 9-9.

Outside the lines:
    Salomon Torres never actually saw action for the 92 Giants. The game apparently saw fit to elevate him into the rotation over Dave Burba or Kelly Downs. Torres did debut with the 93 Giants. Rather infamously, he started the final game of the season against the Dodgers. He pitched poorly, the Giants lost, and the Braves captured the West by one game. Fickle NoCal fans continued to heckle Torres the rest of his career when he returned as an opposing player. “They come to the park and they pay my salary, so they have the right to heckle me,” said Torres in 2006. “If that's going to make them feel better and get over what happened in 1993, OK. But it's time to move on.... I don't think I was treated fairly by some of my teammates. And I still don't think I'm being treated fairly by the fans."

Torres had a long career, though it was interrupted by a gap where did not pitch anywhere from 1998-2000. He pitched in South Korea in 2011 and then returned to the majors with the Pirates. He appeared in 94 games in 2006 and retired after the 2008 season after finishing the season with 28 saves for Milwaukee.

Torres as a rookie 1993

Darryl Boston was named the NL player of the week. The Mets outfielder has been on a tear and now leads the league with 7 homers, 16 runs scored, and a .727 slugging percentage. Rafael Palmiero of Texas took the honors in the AL. On the season he is hitting .373 with 5 homers and 14 RBI. He went 5 for 6 in a game against Boston.
    Last edited by LivnLegend; 06-17-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Salomon Torres was, for one day, my favorite player of all-time.