Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80

Thread: 2028 Season

  1. #71
    Michael Bolton Fan Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,503
    Reputation
    2047
    Quote Originally Posted by cda_crusader View Post
    Also apparently Brendon Kirk is "the smartest man on the field" which is one of the more random articles I have seen.
    Have you ever known anyone with that quality mustache who wasn't a genius?

    What would you say ... you do here?

    OTBL2
    Houston Hurricane
    OTBL Champion 2022, 2024, 2025, 2027

  2. #72
    Bronx County Lou Hotblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    43,344
    Reputation
    5625
    So this is fun.



    Yuji Fujimura is the latest to join the party. He was my setup man who became the closer when my closer got hurt. And now he's done for the year too. And yet we're tied for 3rd place, but 5 games off 2nd.
    Last edited by Hotblack; 06-15-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.



    Latest TCBA file

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    615
    Reputation
    126
    I love my draft, but my God this injury thing is totally out of hand. We now have our top 3 starters out for the season and number 4 on one of those day to day indefinite things. I don't see how we can remain competitive using what has become a minor league pitching staff. Is this really how we want to proceed, where playoff runs are determined by the luck of the injury draw, or do we want GMs to use actual game skill and stuff to determine how good they are at putting a team together? I've looked around and everyone is suffering pretty heavily on injuries, which only adds to my argument. It's become all about who did or did not get injured, not putting together a good big league roster.
    Last edited by KurtBevacqua; 06-15-2017 at 08:54 PM.

  4. #74
    IN UR COMPUTER POSTIN Hollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    All along the Eastern Front
    Posts
    35,905
    Reputation
    2888
    We'll be sticking with it, yes, unless there is a massive uproar. All of the evidence so far is that the new injury system is pretty damned close to the number of injuries that actual MLB teams experience although it still tilts towards too much good health. Would you say that MLB is a total crap shoot based on injury luck? Or is there still a whole lot of skill involved, plus a bit of luck? Honestly this feels much more realistic to me and the more realistic the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Reviewing Football Manager is like reviewing Buddhism. Yes, you can do it, but you have to take your time.

  5. #75
    phenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    within walking distance
    Posts
    13,761
    Reputation
    1382
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtBevacqua View Post
    I love my draft, but my God this injury thing is totally out of hand. We now have our top 3 starters out for the season and number 4 on one of those day to day indefinite things. I don't see how we can remain competitive using what has become a minor league pitching staff. Is this really how we want to proceed, where playoff runs are determined by the luck of the injury draw, or do we want GMs to use actual game skill and stuff to determine how good they are at putting a team together? I've looked around and everyone is suffering pretty heavily on injuries, which only adds to my argument. It's become all about who did or did not get injured, not putting together a good big league roster.
    I am not an everyone, apparently, because I'm not suffering on injuries. As for your issues, you should look at the trade market for a starter, someone such as Zack Heist!
    Last edited by phenom; 06-16-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    So where's all the mad rappers at? It's like a jungle in this habitat.

    Carolina Hawks, OTBL

    Soxwin champs 2022, 2023

    Quote Originally Posted by attackemu
    You're making it, man.

  6. #76
    Rescuer of Rep matskralc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,218
    Reputation
    3566
    Quote Originally Posted by phenom View Post
    I am not an everyone, apparently, because I'm not suffering on injuries. As for your issues, you should look at the trade market for a starter, someone such as Zack Heist!
    Not only that, but apparently building a team with the depth to withstand a run of bad injury luck isn't "actual game skill".

  7. #77
    Johnny Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Seattle (?)
    Posts
    30,389
    Reputation
    1697
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    We'll be sticking with it, yes, unless there is a massive uproar. All of the evidence so far is that the new injury system is pretty damned close to the number of injuries that actual MLB teams experience although it still tilts towards too much good health. Would you say that MLB is a total crap shoot based on injury luck? Or is there still a whole lot of skill involved, plus a bit of luck? Honestly this feels much more realistic to me and the more realistic the better as far as I'm concerned.
    Not in the league (but let me know if there's ever an opening!) but yeah, this is just the case. My own experience with historical stuffs was that if anything pitcher injuries were still too infrequent but that does not appear to be the case at all with modern leagues and modern bullpens. FWIW the real-life Seattle Mariners have 9 guys on the DL. The Rays have 12, the Padres and Braves both have 11. Hotblack's team wouldn't even be the most injury-depleted club in real-life MLB.

    It's just a fact in today's game, and really it's been a fact for at least 20-25 years now, that in order to build a 5 man rotation, your depth needs to go 8 guys deep at the very least. And with bullpens being what they are, you need guys who can step in at closer, set-up, the LOOGY role, and middle relief, so with a 7 man pen you probably need 11 or 12 guys to fill that, too. This is how you build a good team, not by landing front-line guys and battering opponents with them (necessarily) but with depth. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that just outbidding everyone for the top free agent is not "actual game skill".
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlock Treatment podcast, Episode 73
    There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a bitch.

  8. #78
    Bronx County Lou Hotblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    43,344
    Reputation
    5625
    I'd like to take a moment to introduce Chi-Ming Zhang. I signed him as a minor league free agent from China before the 2023 season as a live-armed lefty who could pitch multiple innings out of the bullpen, or possibly even start in a pinch. After a strong debut in AAA, he pitched 6 scoreless innings that September and earned a spot in the bullpen the next year, where he got absolutely shelled for 20 runs in 19 innings on the back of 10 walks and 5 homers. My thin bullpen kept him up and he's improved every year since, from a 5.14 ERA in 14 innings to a 4.10 ERA in 48 innings and finally a sparkling 1.59 mark in 45 innings spread over 90 games as our situational lefty last year.

    This year I decided it was time for him to graduate from LOOGY and take on a crucial middle relief role, and he's backed it up with the best K rate of his career (10.22) while placing third on the staff in innings pitched and, in early contention for this year's Brad Green Award, leads the team in wins. Now with Nava and Fujimura done for the year, he's become our most important reliever.

    Unlike last year, our starters are right up there in win total as I've continued to tweak our bullpen strategy. Our starters are average about 5 innings per game and our top four starters all have either 4 or 5 wins. No full-time starter won more than 5 games for us all last year. I think my bullpen usage was a little extreme last year but it was a fun experiment in a season where I had no expectations, and this year I feel like we have (a) a stronger rotation and (2) a weaker bullpen (especially with all our injuries!!!!11) and so I'm playing it a little more conservative and letting our talented young rotation pitch deeper into games.
    Last edited by Hotblack; 06-16-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    Being smart, don't always make you popular.



    Latest TCBA file

  9. #79
    Michael Bolton Fan Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,503
    Reputation
    2047
    An interesting sim for the boys in red, winning 5 out of 6 to re-take the league lead from red-hot Philly. The Hurricane offense averaged 15 runs per game during the week, including consecutive 23-2 wins over New Jersey. It's probably a good thing that negotiations for the Willy Balz deal were finished *before* the series.
    What would you say ... you do here?

    OTBL2
    Houston Hurricane
    OTBL Champion 2022, 2024, 2025, 2027

  10. #80
    Jezebel Kez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,817
    Reputation
    104
    NJ is packing up the tent.

Similar Threads

  1. 2025 Season
    By Dagrims in forum OTBL2
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 10-29-2016, 10:58 PM
  2. 2023 Season
    By phenom in forum OTBL2
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 08-17-2015, 09:38 PM
  3. Tell us about your season
    By Hotblack in forum TCBA
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 04:23 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM
  5. A new season; a same rant.
    By coop in forum Talk Sports
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •